NEW MEMBERS - INTRODUCTION AREA

General chat and talk about whisky.
Islaylee79

Re: NEW MEMBERS - INTRODUCTION AREA

Postby Islaylee79 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:14 pm

Hello everyone,

I have recently stumbled upon this wonderful website and relative whiskey forums and am very impressed with all the chat and banter....I am a 30 year old irish man (From Co. Monaghan) living in Edinburgh, Scotland. I moved over here in 1999 to study and haven't left!

Because of my professional (Civil Engineer) I have been able to travel all over the UK but mainly Scotland. My introdcution to malt and specifialy Islay malt started a couple of years ago whilst working at Islay airport. The people on Islay are fierce friendly and when I mentioned that I was fond of the odd dram or two the chaps at the airport made a few phone calls and got me on a personnel whiskey tour of Laphraoig Distillery......this was back before the new visitors centre was open...... I loved it and loved the malt even more......since then I've been back at least once a year and usually stay with Friendly Grumpy Graham over at the Port Charlotte Hotel (lovely place and a savage selection of malt behind the counter!).....I've been lucky enough as well to befriend Mary over at Bruichladdich and even helped close the distillery one Saturday......(I did buy a Valinch and one of the 16 series though)!......

I am trying to be a bit more open minded with my whiskeys but always end up coming back to Islay.....I suppose there is something about the place......also the last time I was their (April 2009) I found out I was going to be a father for the first time!!.....if the misses and me have a baby girl we are going to call her Islay (thats if i'm allowed!!) :thumbsup:

looking forward to the whiskey chat
Bye,
Lee

johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:47 pm

Islaylee79 wrote:Hello everyone,

I have recently stumbled upon this wonderful website and relative whiskey forums and am very impressed with all the chat and banter....I am a 30 year old irish man (From Co. Monaghan) living in Edinburgh, Scotland. I moved over here in 1999 to study and haven't left!

Because of my professional (Civil Engineer) I have been able to travel all over the UK but mainly Scotland. My introdcution to malt and specifialy Islay malt started a couple of years ago whilst working at Islay airport. The people on Islay are fierce friendly and when I mentioned that I was fond of the odd dram or two the chaps at the airport made a few phone calls and got me on a personnel whiskey tour of Laphraoig Distillery......this was back before the new visitors centre was open...... I loved it and loved the malt even more......since then I've been back at least once a year and usually stay with Friendly Grumpy Graham over at the Port Charlotte Hotel (lovely place and a savage selection of malt behind the counter!).....I've been lucky enough as well to befriend Mary over at Bruichladdich and even helped close the distillery one Saturday......(I did buy a Valinch and one of the 16 series though)!......

I am trying to be a bit more open minded with my whiskeys but always end up coming back to Islay.....I suppose there is something about the place......also the last time I was their (April 2009) I found out I was going to be a father for the first time!!.....if the misses and me have a baby girl we are going to call her Islay (thats if i'm allowed!!) :thumbsup:

looking forward to the whiskey chat
Bye,
Lee

Welcome Ken and Islaylee. Seems like you've been making the right friends at the right places Islaylee. You lucky sod!

borgom
Gold Member

Postby borgom » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:59 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum Ken & Lee!

dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby dramtastic » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:04 am

G'day to Ken and Islaylee nice to have you on the forum.

Jonpol

Postby Jonpol » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:31 am

As my alias implies my name is Jonpol. I hail from the blistering heat, the hot side of the sun. I call Arizona my home, a native.

I prefer good scotch and beer to most anything.

I manage a liquor dept in an upscale grocery store chain out here. I get to try a lot of different expressions of everything.

No mothballs here. I'm usually active in all I do except for church. My beautiful wife would prefer the opposite.

My biggest stress in life is trying to decide what to drink on any given night. :P

I prefer Islay although I have not developed a taste for Laphroig. Not sure if I ever will.

I have long hair. I can be crass. I purposely talk like a hillbilly to entertain myself a few times a day. I clean up good. Some people think I have class but my friends know I'm a caveman who stumbled into the wine and liquor business. I have friends from all walks of life. I enjoy my life, my wife, and raising my kids. I'm the guy everyone asks..."why are you in such a good mood"....I tell them I was born this way :smoke:

Ciao

dramtastic

Postby dramtastic » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:23 am

Well bring it on then Jonpol, welcome and I look forward to your posts.

Jonpol

Postby Jonpol » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:34 am

I prefer trade tastings so I can sample the wine, beer, and whisky all in one visit. With a family of teenagers most of my off time is already spoken for. I did however miss the most recent BenRiach/ Springbank tasting. That was a hard one to miss. Theres a Signatory event coming soon. I may be able to make that one.

Jonpol

Postby Jonpol » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:41 am

As for new items Talisker 25yr, 30yr, and 175th Anniversary recently hit. Port Ellen 8th Edition 29yr Cask Strength, Brora 25yr Cask Strength and Laphroaig 15yr just landed in small amounts. Oban D.E. hit a few months ago and the 18yr hit two weeks ago.

I hear Laphroaig 25yr is coming. And still no word on Talisker 18, been a while since we had some and it goes fast.

ClubSmed
Gold Member

Postby ClubSmed » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:00 pm

Welcome to ken3211, Islaylee79 & Jonpol. I hope you find the forums everybit as enyoyable and informative as the rest of us

Islaylee79

Postby Islaylee79 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:14 pm

pkt77242 wrote:Welcome Jonpol, Ken and IslayLee.

I would be one of the Arizonians that Ganga was talking about. Do you by any chance ever attend any of Sportsman's tastings?

Sean

Hi Sean,

It's homecoming year this year in Scotland so there are a multitude of organised whisky tasting events being held throughout the country.....the last trade whisky fair I was at was an Oddbins Whisky and Wine event at Murrayfield Rugby Stadium here in Edinburgh last year. I had a feast of whisky that day......sampled the Connemara Peated single malt that day and a Connemara Cask Strength as well which was wonderful.....

There is a Whisky Live event taking place in Glasgow on 13th Sept which I wouldn't mind sliding over to. I see Laphroaig are one of the many exhibitors and I would love to try the new 18 year old Laphroaig release before I buy a bottle!

marinekilz

Postby marinekilz » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:53 am

Hello all. My name is Brad, I am in NJ but was born and raised in the bronx nyc. I was in the marine corp for 8 years which will explain the screen name. I work for BMW now. I seldom drink scotches, but I do enjoy them when I do.

What brought me here is my brother in law enjoys his scotches and I am trying to figure out one for him. There is a post in the Q&A section of the forum.

well anything else you people would like to know ask I am answer :-)

Brad

Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby Liechtenstein » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:30 pm

Welcome, Brad...and thanks for your service.

:thumbsup:

oldleslie

Postby oldleslie » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:39 am

Hi folks, I've just joined and this is my first post.

I'm 29 and have been tasting/drinking/collectign whisky for about 10 years. My first ever dram was at age 14 - a Glenmorangie in the Royal British Legion...

I live a few miles from Ardmore and work in Aberdeen.

I have a collection of some 140 bottles, all bar three are open. One is an A-bunadh that I just haven't got around to yet. The other two are public-releases of Supernova and I've already got one of those open, along with a committee release.

Anyway, just saying hi!

Slainte,
Iain

johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:14 pm

Hey Iain,
Welcome to the forum. I'm looking forward to read your comments.

Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby Liechtenstein » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:49 am

Welcome, Iain/Oldleslie!

borgom
Gold Member

Postby borgom » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:09 am

Welcome to the forum Iain!

dramtastic

Postby dramtastic » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:59 am

Welcome Iain

Laydowncracker

Postby Laydowncracker » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:09 am

Hey there!

I'm Bas, a Dutch man currently happily living together with my girlfriend in Edinburgh. I am still in the of a the student though I only have to finish this one big paper. Some two years ago I decided that it would be best for me to start drinking whisky and after a shopkeeper back in Holland decided I should try some Talisker my finances were doomed but I was in heaven!

Cheers!

borgom
Gold Member

Postby borgom » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:02 pm

Welcome Laydowncracker.

johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:41 pm

Welcome to the forum Laydowncracker.

MoreDalmore
Bronze Member

Postby MoreDalmore » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:18 pm

Hello everybody!

I just registered and wanted to introduce myself to all.

I am a single male of 45years ( expensive as I aged quite well if I might say so myself :wink: ) who is now only drinking malt whisky's for about 2 to 3 years now.

In the last half year I decided to learn more about it so I bought both "Whisky" by Michael Jackson and "Whisky Classified"by David Wishart and instead of buying 1 bottle at the time I now usually have 3 to 4 different bottles opened to be able to compare.

So far I only had 32 different malts so I am still very much in the process of tasting as much as different malts I can ( for a reasonable price ).

I have been reading these forums for a couple of days now and as for one I love polls ( I frequently serve a few musicforums ) so I decided to join!

johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:03 pm

Hello MoreDalmore, nice to have you here. I'm looking forward to read some more posts from you.

ClubSmed
Gold Member

Postby ClubSmed » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:15 pm

Welcome MoreDalmore!

I hope you find all answers you are looking for here

borgom
Gold Member

Postby borgom » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:48 am

Welcome MoreDalmore

Pure Pot Head
Bronze Member

Postby Pure Pot Head » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:25 pm

Hi All,

What's the story with Gold Members and Silver members etc?

Pure Pot Head

Drammed
Gold Member

Postby Drammed » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:46 am

Greetings from the West coast of Canada 8)

My journey down the golden path of enlightenment started with a classic Canadian drink Crown Royal. As I grew tried of the simple taste I branched out into bourbon, as they had some more interesting choices (Woodford Reserve and Blantons come favourably to mind). My taste in Scotch had always been limited to blends (and not very good ones at that) and I never found much depth in them compared to the single batch bourbons, so I avoided all Scotch. All that changed when a friend brought over a bottle of Balvinie Doublewood 12yr. I was surprised when I found multiple tastes and depth of flavour pass over my tongue. Needless to say I am hooked and have bought many bottles to taste for myself.

So cheers to everyone out there in cyberspace and I look forward to chatting with you soon.

Drammed

ClubSmed
Gold Member

Postby ClubSmed » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:34 pm

Welcome aboard Drammed

johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:06 pm

Welcome to the forum Drammed!

robjohnston

Postby robjohnston » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:31 pm

Hello all!
I'm 18 in Glasgow and just started collecting whisky last week.
Willy JJ got me into it!
Ummmm that's all i have for now but may my whisky collecting last for many years!

johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:49 pm

Hey there robjohnston, join the club.

robjohnston

Postby robjohnston » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:51 pm

robjohnston

Postby robjohnston » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:16 pm

Shall do I should be seeing him tomorrow!

Dubois

Postby Dubois » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:55 am

Welcome robjohnston !

gregs656

Postby gregs656 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:41 pm

Evening folks,

I have been drinking whiskey for some 3 years. I was working in a pub when I was 16 and got to sample a fairly good range from a local I knew at the time.

these days, I usually keep a bottle of good malt about (Glenmorangie has been my favorite for a time) and a bottle of what ever happens to be on offer for a day to day drink, at 19, I can't afford the good stuff day to day. But weatherspoons normally has a fair selection of malts for 2.80 or so for a double, keeps me happy.

Enjoy,
Greg

dramtastic

Postby dramtastic » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:00 am

Welcome Greg

Return to “Whisky Chat”