NEW MEMBERS - INTRODUCTION AREA

General chat and talk about whisky.
AshDLS

Re: NEW MEMBERS - INTRODUCTION AREA

Postby AshDLS » Sun May 24, 2009 4:39 pm

Hello all! Just joined up. Was previously a member of the Peatfreak board for a brief period before it went under. Ended up coming here in the hope of finding more information and opinions on Japanese whisky, as I recently moved to the south of Japan for a year to finish off my university degree. So far, Nonjatta's been quite a useful resource. :) Anyway, I'm originally from Melbourne, Australia. Cheers all!

borgom
Gold Member

Postby borgom » Mon May 25, 2009 8:53 am

Welcome to the forum AshDLS :)

dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby dramtastic » Tue May 26, 2009 5:13 am

Welcome AshDLS, I know we've chatted already but my interest in Japanese whisky is growing so any help I can get from someone there is a bonus. Look forward to your findings! :thumbsup:

AshDLS

Postby AshDLS » Tue May 26, 2009 7:55 am

Cheers everyone!

Dramtastic - I recently found quite a good whisky bar here in Kumamoto despite it being a relatively smaller city, I think I'll have to spend a bit more time there! Oddly enough, it's named "Bar Colon"... with such an absurd name I had to go check it out, and I was pleasantly surprised. :)

jim750

Postby jim750 » Sun May 31, 2009 9:45 pm

Hello all,

I'm reasonably new to single malt whisky having drunk mostly Jack Daniels/Jim Beam as well as blends such as Bells & Famous Grouse in the past.

But after a recent holiday to Scotland this year visiting several distillery's Edradour being my favourite, i have developed a great interest and taste for single malts.
So far i have enjoyed Glenfiddich Solera 15yo, Dalwhinnie 15yo and especially Aberlour 12yo.Any suggestions of possible similar tastes would be appreciated.

Seems like a very informative forum great for learning more, cheers :D

Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby Liechtenstein » Sun May 31, 2009 10:18 pm

jim750 wrote:after a recent holiday to Scotland this year visiting several distillery's Edradour being my favourite, i have developed a great interest and taste for single malts.

You may want to pick up the June 2009 issue of Whisky Magazine as the Edradour distillery is the subject of a 4 page article.

Welcome aboard, Jim!

jim750

Postby jim750 » Sun May 31, 2009 11:35 pm

Thanks i will try to take a look at it.

With regard to the Glenfiddich 15yo i liked the sweet creamyness and small amount of smoke. But in general about the three i found the fruityness very good.

jim750

Postby jim750 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:54 am

I am in England which I should have mentioned! Thank you for the advice I had been reading about several of the Aberlours and was looking at the Glenfiddich 18 as possibly my next purchase. I will go and read some more on the others suggested cheers.

borgom
Gold Member

Postby borgom » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:35 am

Hey there jim750, welcome to the forum.

Red Hare

Postby Red Hare » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:04 am

Hello all

I've been drinking whisky for about 2 years now, and I really like the sweet, slightly peaty or smoky whiskies - Highland Park 18 yo, Talisker 18 yo, Yamazaki 18 yo (I can see a pattern forming). Being a natural anorak I've kept detailed tasting notes almost from the beginning...

kass

Postby kass » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:44 am

hi everybody im kass new member. like laphroaig as well as other islays talisker and a dram of hp once in a while. ive been to this forum as a guest and really enjoy the diversity and combined knowledge and experience so i recently joined.

Holysinner
Silver Member

Postby Holysinner » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:59 am

Welcome Red Hare and kass, I hope you enjoy your time here!

borgom
Gold Member

Postby borgom » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:15 am

Hi Red Hare and kass, welcome aboard!

johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:06 pm

Hey, I'm a new member since today. I live in Bruges (Belgium) and for many years now I drink/collect whisky. I certainly won't be a silent still! Promise.

Johan

johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:03 pm

Ganga wrote:Welcome Johan! I certainly look forward to seeing more from you. :D

Thanks! :D Well, I've been busy already.

ClubSmed
Gold Member

Postby ClubSmed » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:08 pm

johan brugge wrote:Hey, I'm a new member since today. I live in Bruges (Belgium) and for many years now I drink/collect whisky. I certainly won't be a silent still! Promise.

Johan

Welcome to the party Johan

AdamMY

Postby AdamMY » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:30 am

Welcome Johan

Daryl

Postby Daryl » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:10 pm

Newbie here, from Texas :D I'm not very knowledgable about whisky, but know that I like it lol. On a more serious note, I lost almost everything I had to hurricane Ike last year. Long story short, I bought a bottle of whisky to open when I finally got into a new home, which I now have. It's Glennlivet, aged 12 years, single malt. I'm enjoying it :thumbsup:

johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:00 pm

Daryl wrote:Newbie here, from Texas :D I'm not very knowledgable about whisky, but know that I like it lol. On a more serious note, I lost almost everything I had to hurricane Ike last year. Long story short, I bought a bottle of whisky to open when I finally got into a new home, which I now have. It's Glennlivet, aged 12 years, single malt. I'm enjoying it :thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum Daryl. It's a nice whisky to start with.

AdamMY

Postby AdamMY » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:40 am

Welcome Daryl
The Glenlivet 12 is a great whiskey. Sorry to hear about your home, but welcome to the forum, and if you read it consistently, you'll learn more than you probably ever wanted to know, rather quickly.

Holysinner
Silver Member

Postby Holysinner » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:01 am

Welcome Daryl. You'll find several other Texans around here, good to have you on board!

dramtastic

Postby dramtastic » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:45 am

Welcome Daryl and Johan. There are plenty of people new to the world of whisky here, so join in the fun.

jed52

Postby jed52 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:06 am

Hello everybody, I've been a member for a few months now and thought its about time I said hello. I'm the wrong side of 50, married to Maz, have 3 great kids all grown up, 1 grandson, 1 granddaughter on the way and a pension aged dog called Sam, but he's not into whisky!
I live in Selby North Yorkshire, not far from York. I'm a truck driver by profession, but, like many other truckers at the moment, am out of work.
I've only been into whiskey for under a year, but I've tried a few even on my meagre income. A freind started me off by giving me a dram of Dalmore 15yo and after that I fell in love with the stuff. Not keen on any other spirit but I like a nice port or a sherry. My other love is real ale.
Maz and I love to go into York for an afternoon/early evening and search out all the different old pubs and bars. We have our favourites and theres quite a few with a good selection of single malts behind the bar. I recommend anybody to go to York within the city walls and do what we do. My bottles bought/drunk so far; Glen Moray no age, Dalwhinnie 15yo, Highland Park 12yo, BenRiach 12yo, Aberlour 10yo, Balvenie DW 12yo and Glenlivet 18yo. I can make a bottle last a lomg time, I have to!
Anyway, I've gone on long enough but hopefully I can get some good tips from all the very knowledgable members here. Cheers, jed.

Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby Liechtenstein » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:42 am

Well...welcome, jed52!

Keep on posting!

:thumbsup:

ClubSmed
Gold Member

Postby ClubSmed » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:47 pm

jed52 wrote:hopefully I can get some good tips from all the very knowledgable members here. Cheers, jed.

Welcome!

As you are in York, are you planning to go to The 7th York Whisky Festival at The Guildhall on Saturday September 19th 2009 then?

johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:00 pm

Welcome to the forum jed52!

jed52

Postby jed52 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:21 pm

ClubSmed wrote:
jed52 wrote:hopefully I can get some good tips from all the very knowledgable members here. Cheers, jed.

Welcome!

As you are in York, are you planning to go to The 7th York Whisky Festival at The Guildhall on Saturday September 19th 2009 then?

Hello ClubSmed. Didn't know about it, but I do now!
I'd like to go, yes, lets hope my job situation picks up by then. Never been to a whisky festival, if they are anything like beer festivals they will be good events to go to.
Might see you there, if you're going yourself!

Thanks for the welcome everyone. jed

jed52

Postby jed52 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:29 pm

Liechtenstein wrote:Well...welcome, jed52!

Keep on posting!

:thumbsup:

So I didn't bore you with that long intro, Liechtenstein, or are you a glutton for punishment?
jed

jed52

Postby jed52 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:36 pm

johan brugge wrote:Welcome to the forum jed52!

Hello johan brugge, thanks for the welcome.
I just checked out your collection via the link. Very impressive. You're obviously a big Lagavulin fan. I've yet to sample any, but I intend to do it soon. Cheers.
jed

jed52

Postby jed52 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:45 pm

Ganga wrote:Welcome Jed. If you decide to start looking for some interesting whiskies to try, consider perusing through the Live Tastings section. Also, you will find some good notes in the "What are you drinking now" and "What did you drink last night" threads (see Whisky Chat).

And fire away with any questions you have!

Many thanks Ganga. I do keep checking all the different sections and find them all interesting, but I'm just a novice at the moment and struggle to get my palate around some of the many different flavours and, indeed, my nose around the many different aromas, but I'm sure I'll get there with a little help. I keep refering to my whisky guru, the late Michael Jackson. he has been my guide to all things single malt and beers worldwide. His books are a guiding light. It's a pity there won't be any more books from him.
Sorry, i've rambled on enough.
Thanks again. jed

kyorke1
Silver Member

Postby kyorke1 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:17 pm

Welcome to the forums Jed52. I hope you have fun here.

Any Ales you can recommend? Im impressed with Copper Dragon particually the Scotts 1816, probably the best Ale Ive tried so far as I can remember.

jed52

Postby jed52 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:05 am

kyorke1 wrote:Welcome to the forums Jed52. I hope you have fun here.

Any Ales you can recommend? Im impressed with Copper Dragon particually the Scotts 1816, probably the best Ale Ive tried so far as I can remember.

Hello kyorke1. Yes, I could recommend a few. It depends on what style you like yourself. For instance, do you like stouts, or pale ale, or bitters, or are you willing, like myself, to try anything? What have you tried allready?
I've had Copper Dragon myself straight from the barrel, very nice beer.
Have you tried all the usual supermarket stuff. I know ranges vary from area to area, so forgive me if I mention something that is obvious.
Have you tried these bottled ales;

McEwans Champion. 7.3% Very heavy, but warming in winter.

J.W.Lees Harvest Ale. 11.5% Quite sweet. Can be layed down like a good wine. Good for about 15 or 20 years.

Brains. S.A.Gold. 4.7%. Citrusy aroma. Very smooth.

Felinfoel. Double Dragon. 4.2%? This is probably my favourite ale from Wales, but unfortunately I haven't found it in Yorkshire yet.

Theakstons Old Peculiar. 5.6%. You must have tried this beer. This is my personal favourite and is available just about everywhere.

Greene King. Strong Suffolk. 6.0%. Lovely smooth beer and easy to drink, considering the strength.

Have you tried some of the European brews, (we would probably call them largers, but it's all beer to me) such as Duvel, Westmalle, Chimay,Orval and Trappistes Rochefort? All Belgian brews. What about some lambic beers, some can be very fruity, but quite potent also.

Another favourite of mine is a German brew, Erdinger Weissbier, about 6.6% I think. Cloudy beer, but very refreshing when chilled.

Sorry, kyorke1, I've gone on long enough and you've probably had most of those anyway, I hope I havn't bored you with my recommendations.
jed

kyorke1
Silver Member

Postby kyorke1 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:58 pm

Hi Jed, I'm a bit like yourself, willing to try anything but tend to steer towards different styles depending on mood. I have gone through a few supermarket bottles that you mention, the Greene King brands I find to be enjoyable especially Old Speckled Hen, Abbot etc. I haven't tried the Strong Suffolk Vintage that will probably be one of my next purchases. I drink quite a lot of local beer typically anything from the Warwickshire Beer Co. I have a bit of a sweet tooth so anything fruity or honeyed with a woody finish is ideal.

I have rarely gone abroad save the big brands like Erdinger which I can't remember being all that impressed with, perhaps being a wheat number. I will have to try some more Belgian next I think; I'm always impressed with theirs.

Don't apologise Jed, there's a good few names in there for me to research and no you haven't bored me. Thanks for the info.

johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:02 pm

Have you tried some of the European brews, (we would probably call them largers, but it's all beer to me) such as Duvel, Westmalle, Chimay,Orval and Trappistes Rochefort? All Belgian brews. What about some lambic beers, some can be very fruity, but quite potent also.

Aha, it's always nice to hear our beers are popular. Nice choices Jed52! Just drink them slowly.

ken3211

Postby ken3211 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:06 am

Hello fellas! Im new to the forums but love sippin whisky like the rest of ya! My current open bottles are van winkle lot b, and Evan williams single barrel :) Im also open to sugestions. Oh im also a chess lover, model ship lover, and watch lover. Hope to meet some new friends, and try new whiskies!

Return to “Whisky Chat”