Royal and Ancient 28yr Millennium Blend

General chat and talk about whisky.
cryptic

Royal and Ancient 28yr Millennium Blend

Postby cryptic » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:19 pm

I recently aquired a bottle of Cockburn and Campbell's Royal and Ancient 28yr old Millennuim blend. I'd like to know anyone has tasted it as I'm not sure whether to open it or keep it. I'm not a whisky collector so to open it wouldn't be a problem however if it were worth a wee bit then I would rather sell it and buy a bottle/bottles of something which I really like.
Approx 50% is made up of North British grain whisky with the other 50% made up of Glenlivet, Longmorn and Macallan.

There is very little info if any on the web regarding this whisky. Any info would be appreciated.

I apologise if this is not in the right topic.

popeye21

Re: Royal and Ancient 28yr Millennium Blend

Postby popeye21 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:34 am

cryptic wrote:I recently aquired a bottle of Cockburn and Campbell's Royal and Ancient 28yr old Millennuim blend. I'd like to know anyone has tasted it as I'm not sure whether to open it or keep it. I'm not a whisky collector so to open it wouldn't be a problem however if it were worth a wee bit then I would rather sell it and buy a bottle/bottles of something which I really like.
Approx 50% is made up of North British grain whisky with the other 50% made up of Glenlivet, Longmorn and Macallan.

There is very little info if any on the web regarding this whisky. Any info would be appreciated.

I apologise if this is not in the right topic.

I bought a case of 6 bottles of this about 8 years ago at auction for around £240 or £40 per bottle and it was one of the whiskies that made me realise that I didn't only like good rum, armagnac and cognac. I have since tried it alongside some very expensive spirits and it blows them all away ( Remy Martin XO; Courvoisier XO; Ballantynes 21yr old plus others I can't remember but were expensive). The Remy tasted more like a cheap brandy after the R + A 28yr old, an opinion shared by one of my friends who I was dining with at the time. He was so impressed with it that he begged me to sell him a bottle for his father's birthday, as his father only drank whisky (he was retired plus over 70 and drinking at least 2 bottles a week). His father died about a year later, but not before telling me that it was the best whisky he had ever tasted and he had drunk bottles that had cost hundreds of pounds (he used to own his own hotel). Don't forget that this whisky is made from 9 hogsheads of finest malts, blended with a R + A whisky, then aged for 28 years, but the R + A whisky was already a triple gold medal winning blend ( possibly the 21yr old 60's bottling). Therefore, I would advise you to drink the bottle, as the money you may get for it even if the value has quadrupled, will not buy anything better, from my tasting and my friend's late father. As I have only just seen your post from 2008, I only hope you didn't sell the bottle.

Return to “Whisky Chat”