Michael Jackson

General chat and talk about whisky.
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:36 am

we all go at some point in time and when we do it is an honour to be thought of in a good light, MJ will be remembered in an extrodanary light, peace be with his family, friends and fans...... a big loss and at the same time, a big gain for enthusiasts everywhere to have enjoyed his knowledge.
raise a glass in his memory.

lexkraai
Silver Member

Postby lexkraai » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:16 am

My very first steps in the world of malt whisky were taken with a copy of the "Malt Whisky Companion" in my hand. After being introduced to single malt whisky (Lagavulin 16 y.o.) by a friend of mine, Michael's book was my first guide to the malt whisky distilleries of Scotland and their whiskies.

Michael, thank you for introducing me to this wonderful world, to many years of enjoyment and to meeting like-minded friends all over the world. I raise a glass to you, may you rest in peace.

bernstein
Gold Member

Postby bernstein » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:31 am

Very sad news indeed - although he might have known or guessed more already...
This is from another site. I hope it's okay to copy it in parts and to publish it here as well (if not, Matt or Rob, please feel free to remove this). But I thought MJ found very humourous - and at the same time touching and deep going words about himself:

Did I Cheat Mort Subite?
Michael Jackson, August 22, 2007
http://www.allaboutbeer.com/
„(...) When I woke up, I was in a hospital bed. It was just like it is in the movies. I was surrounded by people in white coats, one of whom asked me: "What is your name?" When I replied, "Michael Jackson," there was none of the usual sniggering. People in Denver know who Michael Jackson is. Nonetheless, he asked again. My voice sounded a little crackly. I later learned that I had had a tube down my throat. It had been removed before they brought me out of a coma. That's where I'd been? Coma? Where is that? Iowa, perhaps? Oklahoma? North Dakota? I have heard of Hygiene, Colorado. Been there, in fact. Likewise, Intercourse, Pennsylvania. Now I have been to Coma, Iowa. "Tell us your name again," said the doctor. "The Artist formerly known as Prince." He looked across at another of the white coats whom I later came to know as a neurologist. "I guess he's OK," he said.
Then, addressing himself to me, he asked whether I was hungry, and what I fancied to eat. I suggested a large mimosa and a Denver omelette, though I think something less extravagant was eventually provided.
They said they thought I might have had a minor heart attack. My previous travels had taken me from Poland to Patagonia. Now I had pursued a journey almost to the end of my life. As occasionally happens, I had missed the plane I had intended to take. Sometimes I prefer to travel by rail. An advantage of the train is that one can always, like a Glasgow Catholic practising coitus interruptus, get off at Paisley. Metaphorically, this is what I had done. For the moment, I had cheated Mort Subite."

RIP MJ.

irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:50 am

I'd like to add my heart felt condolences to his Family and Friends ...

Now MJ is one of those Angles that take their share.

I'll toast him tonight but I'll have to make it something special in his honour.

ryoma

Postby ryoma » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:47 am

I will truly miss his column in Whisky Magazine :(

IainB
Gold Member

Postby IainB » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:57 am

ryoma wrote:I will truly miss his column in Whisky Magazine :(

I concur. RIP.

Does anyone have any idea which particular dram would be appropriate for tonight, say one of MJ's favoutites. Wouldn't it be fitting if as many of us as possible could raise a glass of one particular malt.

Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:45 pm

Surely the answer is Macallan?

Cheers,
ADmiral

IainB
Gold Member

Postby IainB » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:10 pm

Admiral wrote:Surely the answer is Macallan?

Cheers,
ADmiral

Indeed. I suppose it's probably impractical to suggest a particular one. Still, it'll be nice to think of all those macallans being drank today in honour.

hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:08 pm

Wendy sent me the sad news last night and I read JM's eulogy at that time. I also thought a Lagavulin was appropriate (I am not a Macallan fan and thus have none on hand) and for me it had to be the 16yo, so I raised a glass to him. I was going to write something but was tired after returning from another camping trip so I thought it best to sleep on the words.

Like so many others, The Malt Whisky Companion was the guide for my initial forays into scotch but I alas I have never even owned a copy! I went to tastings for few years at a local pub before I bought my first interesting bottles of scotch to have at home (ones that didn't start with Glen...) and we always referred to a copy of the Companion, reading the notes before we tried the next whisky. At the time most of us dreaded the final scotch of the evening, always an Islay and those with names of Laphroaig and Lagavulin were particularly fearful with their strong flavors of iodine and peat smoke. At first I wondered how Lagavulin 16yo could get a score of 9.5/10 but after a while I grew to love the Islays best and while I disagreed with him when the 'new' Glenmorangie Ardbeg 10yo came out that it was only an 8.5/10 I still enjoyed reading his notes. While not always agreeing with him I think that is something he expects, as he wrote in Whisky Magazine's 'The Nosing Course', "You may not wholly agree with what I find, but it will have been the result of thorough nosing and tasting on my part, and a careful effort to find the right words...my fellow-taster Jim Murray may well disagree with me on some points, but at least then you will know that we each have our own prejudices."

Through years later in an An Quaich club, similarly there was always a copy of the Malt Whisky Companion on hand at all times. It is strange that I've referred to a book so many times which I've never owned.

He had a job that most of us would have given anything to have! It sounds like all fun and games, flying around the world drinking beverages and scribbling down something about them but I'm sure it was hard, serious, work; probably harder than any of us could know. It is one thing to travel around and enjoy a drink or a few but to take the time to do it seriously and write it up so well took a real master.

The first Companion came out in the late eighties and new editions came out during the nineties, a dark age for whisky in its cycles of boom and bust. I'm not sure if that pub would have had those tastings without the whisky writers so I'm very glad they did and many still do their jobs today. Michael's writings will be missed.

OldMember

Postby OldMember » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:08 pm

Michael, Thanks for everything! I'll raise a toast on your behalf and I'm sure that you'll get your angelshare in heaven.

Cheers,

Erik

Cam

Postby Cam » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:44 pm

I would like to add my condolences as well. My thoughts to his memory, family and friends.

Cam

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:11 pm

OldMember wrote:Michael, Thanks for everything! I'll raise a toast on your behalf and I'm sure that you'll get your angelshare in heaven.

Cheers,

Erik

Long time no see, Erik. A shame we only meet at funerals....

adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby adogranonthepitch » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:21 pm

Rest in peace Michael.

Thank you for your words, guidance and humour in this strange world of whisky.

Slainte

Mr Fjeld

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:26 pm

I was just wondering.....would it be an idea to marry this thread with the "official thread" in the news section?

Ian Buxton
Bronze Member

Postby Ian Buxton » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:36 pm

We were all saddened, though not surprised, by Michael's passing. He had been ill for many years. Having known him since 1985 (ouch!) I was greatly struck by the way in which he bore his increasing infirmity with fortitude and great good humour.

Everyone in the world of whisky and, let's not forget, beer owe him a debt of gratitude. He will be sorely missed.

I am trying to contact the family to discuss the possibiltiy of a Memorial Service and a Festschrift is also under discussion.

Michael's contribution to drinks writing will live on and inspire us all.

Ian Buxton

Jan
Gold Member

Postby Jan » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:56 pm

Ian Buxton wrote:
Everyone in the world of whisky and, let's not forget, beer owe him a debt of gratitude. He will be sorely missed.

Actually I had almost forgot the huge impact he has had on the beer side as well. Al Jones at the danish whiskynyt forum posted a link to a short bio from a beer perspective, posted on one of the numerous beersites.

Les Paul
Bronze Member

Postby Les Paul » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:17 pm

Cheers to a fantastic writer....RIP. Thank you for the direction and influence.

Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:43 pm

What a shock.

Can anyone remember a thread on this forum filling up so fast? He wrote the most "companionable" of whisky companions - so nicely presented. It really drew me in to the world of whiskies. I loved the way each was presented with beautiful repros of the labels.

Perhaps my favourite phrase of his was "A giant bear-hug of peat" describing the finish of lagavulin 16. Says a lot about the man, that phrase.

I had wondered why I was saving for so long this last drop of Lagavulin 16. Now I know why. A bittersweet moment, like the whisky itself...

I wish, and strongly suggest that either lagavulin or macallan commission a "Michael Jackson memorial malt." Find a great cask or two, and make it available at a reasonable price, so poor musicians like me can afford it!

They are just two of the distilleries that owe him a huge debt.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:16 pm

I met Michael at Whisky Live one year. Despite being surrounded by the 'great and good' of the whisky world, he made time to chat with me and to sign one of my books. His Whisky Companion, the 6th edition of which I believe is out soon, will be missed. But not as much as the contribution that Michael made.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:03 am

Very sad news and a massive loss.
RIP

kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:42 pm

Hi there,

I just came back from England yesterday and just now learned about Michael Jackson`s death.

Methinks the best way to honour his work and achievements is to keep up the quests for which he pointed the way. Good beer and good whiskies.

Greetings
kallaskander

WhiskyBrat
Bronze Member

Postby WhiskyBrat » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:10 pm

I've just got back to this terrible news. I personally never met Mr Jackson but I know many who did and it was always positive comments about how down to Earth and passionate he genuinely was.

The Whisky industry are deeply saddened by Michael's passing, he will be sorely missed.

S_tan_De_mon
Silver Member

Michael Jackson

Postby S_tan_De_mon » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:07 am

Hello all:

The LA Times printed a 1/3 page obituary on Michael Jackson in Saturday's paper. It was quite a large amount of space dedicated to someone who was not a major politician or celebrity. The article was well written with one notable exception: Not one mention of his work in the world of whisky! Only his work in the field of beer was covered. A stunning oversight IMHO.

Slainte!

S'tan

Oliver
Silver Member

Re: Michael Jackson

Postby Oliver » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:17 am

S_tan_De_mon wrote:Hello all:

The LA Times printed a 1/3 page obituary on Michael Jackson in Saturday's paper. It was quite a large amount of space dedicated to someone who was not a major politician or celebrity. The article was well written with one notable exception: Not one mention of his work in the world of whisky! Only his work in the field of beer was covered. A stunning oversight IMHO.

Slainte!

S'tan

Can you give us a link?
Thanks!

shoganai
Silver Member

Postby shoganai » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:27 am

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:05 am

Yeah, the obit I saw today was all about beer (to coin a phrase). The word "whiskey" [sic] was mentioned once, in passing. It's too bad, but I think it's a reflection of the relative impact on popular culture in general. Let's face it, we're still a pretty narrow subculture here, whereas the beer explosion of the last twenty years has made it into the general cultural consciousness.

Oliver
Silver Member

Postby Oliver » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:29 pm

shoganai wrote:Here it is.

Merci.

Any others?

LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby LeoDLion » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:34 pm

My first whisky book was by Michael Jackson. It introduced me to many varieties of sm and being unfamiliar with a lot of them, the book served as a guide when purchasing new bottles. Thanks Michael.

bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby bamber » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:28 pm

Very sad news. Met him a couple of times at Whisky Live. Got my photo taken with him. He was one of those people that you instinctively like. His whisky words were the first that struck a cord with me.

Rob Allanson
Editor

Postby Rob Allanson » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:12 pm

I just wanted to say to you all thank you for all the kind words - Michael's family and friends are aware of the tributes being paid here.

There will be a private service for Michael in London on Friday 14th.
The family has requested no flowers, but anyone wishing to show their sympathies should sent a donation to their local Parkinson's charity.
Michael had become actively involved in the Parkinson's campaign and was considering writing a book about it.

Slainte, and I hope we all raise a glass to the great man on Friday.

Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:55 am

Thanks Rob, nice to hear the family is receiving our condolences, well wishes and past experiences. Yes, I'll be toasting Michael Jackson again on the 14th.

Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:04 am

I wonder what an effective way would be to petition some whisky company(s) to make a donation on his behalf?

Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:09 am

I'm sure whisky companys and groups and individuals will make this requested donation, a great idea.

Mr Fjeld

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:11 am

Drrich1965 wrote:I wonder what an effective way would be to petition some whisky company(s) to make a donation on his behalf?

That's a good idea Rich - how about if one of the members of this forum send a request in a mail with a copy of this thread attached?

Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:16 am

Mr Fjeld wrote:
Drrich1965 wrote:I wonder what an effective way would be to petition some whisky company(s) to make a donation on his behalf?

That's a good idea Rich - how about if one of the members of this forum send a request in a mail with a copy of this thread attached?

It seems that someone with some expereince in the whisky business, with some inside connections, might make this request on our behalf. Any volunteers?

Return to “Whisky Chat”