Postby r900p » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:42 am

It wouldn't be fun without problems.

Whats in the big arc burger?

Rob

Deactivated Member

Re: Oh dear, what have I done?

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:43 am

Hi Willie,
that shelf still has a little more capacity as it is quite deep and the botles will further double up. But yes, I am already looking to see how more capacity can be accommodated in the future. But I think this will be a major exercise involving the moving of the satellite and entertainment systems.

:roll:

Meanwhile, as also posted in the "inventory" thread, here is the full list:

From right to left, top then bottom:

Scottish
Compass Box Peat Monster
Ardbeg 10
Ardbeg Almost There
Lagavulin 16
Laphroaig 10
Caol Ila (Whisky Galore) CS
Bowmore 12
Bowmore Dusk
Bowmore Dawn
Talisker 18
Teaninich 10y F&F
Glenfarclas 1987 QC
Glenlivet French Oak (15y)
Aberlour A'Bunadh B20
Glenfiddich 12
Macallan 10 CS
Macallan 18 Fine Oak
Macallan 12 Sherry
Glen Garioch 8y
Glen Garioch 15y
Glendronach 12
HP 18
HP 12
Compass Box Eleuthera
Compass Box Oak cross
Auchentoshan 10
Auchentoshan 3 Wood
Bladnoch (G&M) 1989
Hazelburn Ed.2
Scapa (G&M) 1993
Jura 14 (M.McD)
Aberfeldy 12
An Cnoc 1991
Ardmore (G&M) 1990
Cragganmore 12
Knockando 12
Dalwhinnie 15
Balvenie SB 15
Benrinnes 15 F&F
Dalmore 12
Glen Ord 12
Glenrothes 1991
Old Pulteney 12

Bruichladdies:
Infinity Ed.1
Celtic Nations
Yellow Submarine (14y)
Waves (7y)
3D3 Norrie Campbell

Bunnahabhain 12

On the right hand side - International:
Elijah Craig
Maker's Mark
Buffalo Trace
Blanton's Gold
Yamazaki 12
Crown Royal
Milford 10
Penderyn
Grüner Hund
Blaue Maus
Slyrs
Redbreast 15
Connemara
Jameson
Tullamore Dew
Paddy
Kilbeggan
Bushmills 10

Then on a different shelf we have the mixer whiskies:
Jim Beam
Jack D.
JW Red
JW Black
Canadian Club
House Blended
House Bourbon

The two "House" ones are no-name whiskies used for the cheap range of long drinks that we offer.

This makes a current total of 74 whiskies available! :shock:

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:49 am

Rob, The Arc is famous for its burgers. The previous owners gained a reputation for offering the best burger in Munich and I haven't changed it.

The Big Arc burger is a large burger (I think 160gr) in a large bread bun with sesame seeds. It contains fried onion, lettuce and tomato and is served with steakhouse (thick) chips.
Additions to the burger may include:
Cheese, bacon, Jalapeno peppers or mushrooms.

Just for fun, I added the "Double Fully Loaded" version which some people even order.

A few even manage to finish it :shock:

This is:
One burger bun with two burger patties, double lettuce, double tomato, fried onions, mushrooms, Jalapenos and double cheese.
Served with beer-battered onion rings and steakhouse chips.

It's BIG!

Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:30 am

The Arc sounds like a destination! Really hope I get to make it out there one day Malt-Teaser, to enjoy a great burger and great selection of whisky, and of course to meet you and see first hand what a great pub you're running. There's a rock pub here in Bergen that serves the best burger in town too, even a 1000g offering, that if you finish it in an hour you get a t-shirt and your name on the wall!

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:32 pm

After visiting The Arc for the first time during a recent Christmas party, A wee Scottish lass returned with her boyfriend (also Scottish) last night to sample a couple of drams.
They sat at the bar and we discussed whisky until something like 3am this morning!
Their parting words were along the lines of "there are a couple more on that shelf which we need to sample, we'll see you after Christmas".

This is what makes running a pub so pleasurable. Customers visibly enjoying themselves and being able to talk about our passion for whisky, even if it is well into the night.
MT

Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:48 pm

Yes!!! It's all about the people! The good people that respect and admire and appreciate your knowledge, passion, and assistance in making their night so special too. They're probably telling all their friends about you too today! It's all about the people that does it for me too.

Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:58 pm

Is that Draught "Journey into Space" i see MT ?
Think you need some more Bunnie.......

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:24 am

Journey into space?
Is that what NBA is called these days, or are you referring to the Augustiner?

I only have the one Bunny, 12y standard OB and yes, I can see some more being included in the future.

Meanwhile, after another late evening where I left the bar at around 2am I am pleased that I don't have just three days off, it's actually 5 !!!

No work today or next Thursday, I'm next in on Friday afternoon.

Maybe I can even manage a little Christmas shopping if I get up early enough on Monday.
:lol:

Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:13 pm

Hi MT ,
NBA has always been called"Journey into Space" as long as i can remember ( there was the famous Herbert advert in the space Rocket) , it's also known as "The Dog" (don't ask me why , but there was another series of ads - Walking the Dog etc ) . The only thing is now maybe it should change it's name as it's no longer made in the "Toon" (the North Tyne Brewery is shut and nearly demolished now ) it's made across the River in the deep south......Gateshead !
NBA was 80yo this year (first made in 1927) and way before that (in the early 1900's) there was a Motorcycle made in Newcastle and it's colour ? Newcastle Brown ! It was on view in the National Motorcycle Museum in Birmingham .
Not a lot of people know that.... :o

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:40 pm

Thanks for the info SOI, I really never knew any of that.

We do have NBA on draught which visiting Brits always find interesting, as most have only ever seen it in bottles.
A few drink it for nostalgic reasons and a few Germans sometimes like to experience "English beer", but it isn't one of our best sellers and I have to agree that the local Augustiner is the best beer we sell. In fact, it's the best beer in Munich!

The local Guinness rep persuaded me to try Kilkenny and even gave me a small barrel to promote during an Irish evening I held.
During that evening I sold 3 glasses of it and then no more for a couple of weeks.
In the end, so as not to have it going off, I sold it at almost half price just to get rid of it.
Now, no more Kilkenny!

I have the aforementioned Augustiner on draught, along with NBA, Strongbow cider and Guinness. That's enough , apart from the bottled beers (Fosters, Becks, Franziskaner Weißbier, Augustiner and Magners & Bulmers ciders).
MT

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:26 pm

I thought you guys were talking about professional basketball.

Draught Broon is inexplicably common in North America--it's a terribly bland and flavorless beer. (Come to think of it, that might actually explain its popularity.) I have on occasion found it to be a useful educational tool, though, whenever someone expresses an aversion for dark beer on the grounds that it "tastes too strong". Usually such persons like it quite a bit.

I had a good friend named Tim Cowles (pronounced Coles), rest his soul, who used to live in the same pub I did. I waited vainly for years for him to order a pint of Brown, just so I could accuse the bartender of carrying Newcastle to Cowles. Never happened.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:37 am

Nice stroy Tattie, meanwhile, my five whole days off are now at an end as I return to the bar this afternoon.

Christmas was totally different to what I expected. I really hoped to get out more, perhaps with trips into the mountains, but unfortunately, both Sabine and myself have suffered from some kind of flu-type bug over the whole time.
A very strange bug which manifested itself slightly differently in each of us, but both with coughing and cold type symptoms, although Sabine was worst with two days of uncontrollable shaking and unsteadiness.

Oh well, we at least had a great rest and she is still away from work until early January.
Meanwhile, The Arc awaits .........

Speak to you later,
MT

Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:30 am

Yes, feel better soon Malt-Teaser, no fun working in a bar or restaurant when you're sick, especially when they smoke too!!!!!

Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:31 am

And hope Sabine gets well quick too MT!!

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:47 pm

Malt Teaser:
I echo the concerns that you and Sabine get healthy soon. The flu was drifting through town just before Christmas and sounds similar to what you both suffered. I was luckily spared, having had my "Flu shot" at work earlier in the month. Hopefully you are both up and around to celebrate the New Year together.

Muskrat Portage.

On a side note, I wonder if your shelf at the Arc is strong enough for the whisky? It looks to me to be a bit bowed down in the middle. You've got quite an investment on those shelves, are they solid wood or plywood?
MP

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:19 am

Musky,
thanks for your concern. Sabine is a little better and I am much better.

As for the shelf, the slightly un-straight tartan cloth gives the impression of it bowing, it isn't.
This is a very strong shelf, but even so, the person who assembled it has now added a support strut in the middle, so it's even stronger.

Come and see for yourself! :lol:

MT

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:34 am

MT:
I also considered, after posting, that it could be attributable to camera lense parallax as well. I was thinking the adding extra support as insurance would be adviseable,(glad you've done so), but then told myself "He's been in the business a long time and knows what he'd doing."

I, on the other hand, had loaded glass shelves with my early collection. Yep, glass shelf broke, bottles in cartons tumbled and luckily none shattered. I was in the next room, heard the "crack" and ran in just in time to catch a couple of cartons. The remainder either bounced or were held up by a railway bridge just under the shelf!

An instance of one hobby supporting another! I now use very sturdy shelves and spread out the collection weight.

Muskrat Portage

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:17 am

If I am very lucky, the existing set-up may just accommodate my target of 100 bottles, but they will be very compacted. I am already wondering what I can re-organise to increase capacity, but as I probably mentioned before, this will need some serious re-organisation.

But I now see that it MUST be done :?
MT

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:14 pm

So, that's it, not only infamy but I'm now officially classified as a "transplanted Englishman"

:lol:

(I think I like that one, thanks!)

MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:26 pm

Sorry, my friend...I'll be glad to correct it on the next episode.

For those of you wondering just what the hell he's talking about, he's the featured guest on this week's episode of WhiskyCast! Problem is, I referred to him as a "transplanted Englishman", which to a Yorkshireman is apparently a major insult...sort of like referring to a Texan as an "American".

Mark

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:21 pm

Actually Mark, you don't realise the depths of your insult. :D
My maternal grandfather used to refer to himself as "An improved Englishman!"

Yorkshiremen and women, are a unique breed unto themselves, listen well, say little, accepting generosity but frugal in return, yet always willing to go the extra mile...
for themselves.(See below for translation)*
Muskrat Portage

*See all hear all say nowt. Eat all drink all pay nowt. And if ever tha does out for nowt Allus do it for thisen.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:25 pm

No problem Mark, no need for correction, only my little jest, which as a Yorkshireman (also known as Tyke) I am quite entitled to.

I know I have done this privately, but I would also like to publicly thank you for your time and efforts with WhiskyCast and allowing my ramblings some valuable airtime.
I have now listened to the episode twice through and yes, I hate the sound of my own voice. Even Sabine said this sounds nothing like the real me, but I don't know if that was a compliment or not :?

I have to admit, you have done an excellent job in the cutting room to turn this into what I believe is an interesting episode. Once again, you asked some excellent, pertinent and reaching questions, a couple of which had me on the hop and really made me think before answering.

Keep up the great work with whiskycast, I'll certainly be tuning in regularly.
Keith

PS, Musky, it's "thysen". :lol:

MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:43 pm

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it...

And for the rest of you, he said off the air that anyone who comes in and mentions his interview gets a dram on the house!!! ;)

Mark

MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:24 pm

No. I was kidding...probably didn't make that very clear...

Aidan

Postby Aidan » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:55 am

Malt-Teaser wrote:I have to agree that the local Augustiner is the best beer we sell. In fact, it's the best beer in Munich!

I have the aforementioned Augustiner on draught, along with NBA, Strongbow cider and Guinness. That's enough , apart from the bottled beers (Fosters, Becks, Franziskaner Weißbier, Augustiner and Magners & Bulmers ciders).
MT

I'd agree about Augustiner. It's a fantastic beer - my favourite.

Are Magners adn Bulmers the same?

woodhill
Gold Member

Postby woodhill » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:09 pm

MT

I was reading somewhere about them banning smoking in German pubs,
has this affected you at all

Good Luck and Happy New Year

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:54 am

Keith:
You actually sound, to my untrained Canadian ear, like someone that I'd delight in listening to a discourse on Whisky from. I find the Yorkshire dialect a pleasure to listen to. So I'm listening to your eloquence and voice as I dredge the Forum.

As for hearing your own voice, I always think my voice has deeper tonal qualities than it does when I hear a recording. It always sounds much higher than I would assume would come out of someone my size. I have always assumed that it's because my voice comes to my ear via the skull bone and so is deeper and muted due to the tonal vibrations (bone conduction).
http://www.hhmi.org/cgi-bin/askascienti ... s_018.html
Muskrat Portage

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:49 am

Aidan,
a good question about Magners and Bulmers.
They are fighting each other tooth and nail for business here in Germany, but as I understand things, they are two different names from the same organisation.
If I remember correctly, Magners comes from Ireland, where they can't use the Bulmers name, but they are now selling as two different products and as competitors.

As for taste, Bulmers is too sweet, Magners is still a little sweet, but (to me) a much better taste.
Plus it's more expensive!

Musky,
thanks for your kind words and yes, you are correct about how one's own voice always sounds different. In this case, it sounds different again over the telephone. Even Sabine says it doesn't sound much like me, but there's nothing I can do about that and I just tried hard to concentrate on being literate and not too disjointed in content.
After living over here for just over 9 years and then in Southern England for the previous 10 years, I sometimes feel that my native Tyke-ness is almost non-existent, but I was (pleasantly) surprised myself when I heard it coming through in the interview.
Of course I love talking whisky, possibly to the absolute boredom of some Arc customers who just want a drink, but I always offer guidance, opinions and help with as much info and stories about whisky and distilleries as I can.

In fact, yesterday was a great whisky evening when a group of whisky connoisseurs visited The Arc, two (that I know of) are forum members, one of which has already claimed his free dram, the second did so yesterday.
I sat with them and we talked whisky for most of the evening, it was a real highlight and pleasure.

But today I now have to look at topping up stocks and ordering a few more bottles as some are running quite low.

Keith

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:34 am

The NFL play-offs along with some FA Cup games made for a good weekend, which I assure you was very welcome and much-needed.
Once again, this coming weekend will see further play-offs, then I think it's a "Championship" game on the 20th followed by The Superbowl on Feb 3rd.
Then the NFl season is ended for the year and Sundays will once again be very quiet ....
:(

Now, what can I organise for Sundays?

Meanwhile, one outstanding problem which is annoying me is The Arc website.
It looks old and tired and badly needs refreshing, it also needs SOME WHISKY on there!!!!
This current website was created for the previous owners by a friend of theirs and it is extremely difficult to get him to do anything. It took almost 6 months just to get the previous owners' telephone numbers and names taken off, but now it has nothing, not even my own on there :evil:

So, tonight I have a meeting with someone who can change all that, today is the day that some ideas for a new Arc website will be discussed, but the first problems I may encounter are the ones of hosting and domain name ownership.
Once these are sorted, then I am sure the new website will come along quite quickly and, I hope, quite impressively.

Watch this space for more details.

I am planning a link section of the website which I would like to call "friends of The Arc" and so far, I would like to include a couple of whisky-related links (probably Slowdrink and WhiskyCast as the first two).

Today also sees the first darts match of 2008 and although I have to work and can't visit the away team, I'll be there in spirit to support the lads as they play one of the two best teams in Munich and, almost certainly, lose :cry:

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:10 pm

Planning and design for the new website is now under way and I like the initial ideas!

Meanwhile, as I have now added:
Arran Cream Sherry
The Glenlivet 18y
The Glenlivet Nadurra CS
Clynelish NC2
Blair Atholl F&F
Mortlach F&F

I am delighted to have increased the selection of drams to a phenominal 82

In addition, have splitsome peat packs and am also offering in a very limited number:
Kildalton
Uigeadail
17y

But these Ardbegs are not included in the 82 (otherwise it would currently be 85).

MT
:P

Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:02 pm

Wow, that's a real treat with the Ardbegs. Are you selling the entire 5cl portion or splitting it in 2??

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:40 am

No, I'm not splitting, just selling the 5cls.

MT

EdipisReks
Bronze Member

Postby EdipisReks » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:45 am

if i'm ever in the area (and i might be in sixth months, or so), i am definitely going to visit The Arc.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:14 am

Edipis, I look forward to meeting you and making you welcome.
MT

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:12 am

I am already plotting my marvellous milestone of 101.
I want to be over 100 quite soon, maybe even in weeks as opposed to months.

As mentioned previously, the count is currently 82 and I am looking at the possibility of adding expressions of:

Caol Ila - another CS
Edradour (probably Tokaji)
Lagavulin DE
Springbank - possibly 10 & 100 proof
Tomatin - probably 18y
Inchgower - I've found a nice sounding 1990 from McKillop

I am also looking for a suitable Millburn and Port Ellen for the next wave of additions.
After drinking some at the weekend, I will almost certainly be adding JW Green label. This is a particular favourite (JW) of mine and after seeing all the recent discussions about JW Black, I still prefer the Green.

The immediate problem I will have is finding places for more bottles.

MT

Return to “Whisky Chat”