Have anyone outside Norway tasted Upper Ten?

General chat and talk about whisky.
kljostad
Bronze Member

Have anyone outside Norway tasted Upper Ten?

Postby kljostad » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:15 pm

Let me apologize in advance for bringing up the subject of a blended whisky, but I had an eyeopening experience yesterday.

Yesterday I was attending an Akevitt-tour at Arcus, a Norwegian manufacturer of plenty. Among other things they are by far the best producer of Akevitt in the world. Well, while I was there, I got to taste a Norwegian blended whisky called Upper Ten. In Norway this whisky is much frowned upon, due to the fact that it is fairly cheap, and that is a favorite among the boozers. Nevertheless, it has won several first prices for being the “best blended whisky under 11 years” in Wine & Spirit.

Upper ten was first made in the 1920ies because the Norwegian Wine Monopoly needed a whisky that went well with whisky-and-soda drinks. They therefore needed a blended whisky with higher percentage of malts than usual (47%). It is made up of about 30-35 different malt whiskies, 3 grain whiskies and it is blended in Norway. It is complex with a malt character, some fruit and it is fairly smoky.

They have also made a new Upper Ten, called 12 year old, with more sherry characteristics. That is what I tasted yesterday. I was quite stunned. If someone had told we that this was a fine single malt, I would not have been surprised.

Has anyone outside Norway tasted this blend? You really should!

Kjell

les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:54 pm

Kjell that was interesting would you send us a sample?

:)

kljostad
Bronze Member

Postby kljostad » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:34 pm

It depends where you live. I am going to spend most of march in brittain, so if you live anywhere near where I am going, i can surely bring a bottle over.

Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:24 pm

I haven't tasted it, nor desire to after realizing what market and group it's aimed at: "...and that is a favorite among the boozers."
Maybe I still should give it a taste and find out for myself, and if one day I do become a boozer, I'll already have a whisky specifically for me!!
But one question Kjell, did you taste it after the day spent tasting all that wonderful "Akevitt???"

kljostad
Bronze Member

Postby kljostad » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:20 pm

DiBlasi,

It is not in any way aimed at the boozers, but as it is fairly cheap compared to other whiskies, it has been a natural choice for them. As this is a Norwegian made blend, they had to lower the price to be able to sell it. I had not tasted any Akevit before I tried the Upper Ten 12 Year old, so all my senses was at is normal (that is well below human average).

I had the same prejudice as you before I tasted it. That is why it came as such shock. I have not tasted many blends, but this is head and shoulders above the others. But I will make you a deal. If you buy a bottle of Upper ten 12 year old, and don’t like it, I will buy that bottle from you at full price next time I am in Bergen. It would be interesting to see if you will have the experience I had.

Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:50 pm

kljostad wrote:DiBlasi,

It is not in any way aimed at the boozers, but as it is fairly cheap compared to other whiskies, it has been a natural choice for them. As this is a Norwegian made blend, they had to lower the price to be able to sell it. I had not tasted any Akevit before I tried the Upper Ten 12 Year old, so all my senses was at is normal (that is well below human average).

I had the same prejudice as you before I tasted it. That is why it came as such shock. I have not tasted many blends, but this is head and shoulders above the others. But I will make you a deal. If you buy a bottle of Upper ten 12 year old, and don’t like it, I will buy that bottle from you at full price next time I am in Bergen. It would be interesting to see if you will have the experience I had.

Hey kljostad! Thanks for your confidence, conviction, and offer! I will definitely look into tasting the Upper Ten, both actually! I actually have enjoyed a few blends very much, and am always curious about them. In fact, I suggest to you to give the John Player Special a try!! The standard is the one I'm familiar with and love, and I have yet to taste their 12y bottling. But the John Player Special sells for 368kr a liter at the Polet and is wow!!

frac

Re: Have anyone outside Norway tasted Upper Ten?

Postby frac » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:03 pm

i recently purchased a bottle of upper ten after reading the label at the back and i was pleasantly surprised. it has a fine smokey taste and will now join my shopping list

Return to “Whisky Chat”