Favourite Whisk(e)y cocktail?

General chat and talk about whisky.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Favourite Whisk(e)y cocktail?

Postby Elagabalus » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:46 pm

That's right folks. I wanna know what your all time favourite whisk(e)y based cocktail is. Whether you order it at most bars when you are out, whether you've put your own little twist on it, whether or not one bar just makes the perfect cocktail, or if you make it yourself at home, tell us what it is.

If you are one of those people who thinks making a whisk(e)y based cocktail is a mortal sin, there is no reason for you to reply. :P

Tonight I am going to make a batch of Mint Juleps, because I am Southern US gentility. lol

TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:20 am

Mix one part whisky with two parts whisky, add a dash of spring water. Serve in a glencairn glass at room temperature.

Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby Mustardhead » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:02 pm

Mine is similar to The Laddie's recipe.

Mix equal parts single malt in a brandy glass. Serve at room temperature.

Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Elagabalus » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:10 pm

I flatly refuse to believe that you two haven't had a whiskey based cocktail that you have enjoyed.

The question wasn't "how do you like your whiskey?", but rather "What is your favourite whiskey based cocktail?"

Don't troll my threads.

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Tolerable cocktail

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:35 pm

Once you open up a thread to the global audience, it becomes public domain.
The only whisky cocktail I enjoy is a Rusty Nail. Drambuie and Grants generally are the ingredients.
Muskrat

Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Iain » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:47 pm

"Don't troll my threads"

Physician heal thyself...

:roll:

Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Re: Tolerable cocktail

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:13 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote:The only whisky cocktail I enjoy is a Rusty Nail. Drambuie and Grants generally are the ingredients.
Muskrat

Busty Nails are better , Laphroaig and Loch Fyne Whisky Liqueur served by the man Joynsons own fair hands......

Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Re: Tolerable cocktail

Postby Quaichuser » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:10 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:The only whisky cocktail I enjoy is a Rusty Nail. Drambuie and Grants generally are the ingredients.
Muskrat

I'm with MP on this one. Whenever I find myself in a place without single malts I go with the Rusty Nail. Drambuie will take the edge off of almost any cheap bar scotch.

Anyone ever had a Godfather?

Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby Mustardhead » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:25 am

I have drunk Whisky and Ginger Wine, the revolting WhiskyMac :D

It is okay if one has a cold....and it is the only whisky cocktail I can say I have enjoyed.

Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Elagabalus » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:28 am

What is in a godfather? :?: :?:

TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:32 am

Elagabalus wrote:What is in a godfather? :?: :?:

Brando and Paccino

TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:42 am

Elagabalus wrote:I flatly refuse to believe that you two haven't had a whiskey based cocktail that you have enjoyed.

The question wasn't "how do you like your whiskey?", but rather "What is your favourite whiskey based cocktail?"

Don't troll my threads.

Collins Compact English Dictionary: Cocktail n 1 Mixed alcoholic drink

Malt whisky and water: Mixed alcoholic drink, and my favourite whisky cocktail.

I have had several whisky cocktails and liqueurs, some of which I have enjoyed, but none of which would I rather drink than a good malt with a dash of water.

Don't troll my legitimate opinions. :wink:

Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Postby Quaichuser » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:11 am

Elagabalus wrote:What is in a godfather? :?: :?:

First I would like to apologize to the entire forum for what I am about to say. :lol:

Two parts scotch...one part amaretto... add ice. :shock:

Kiss your brain cells goodbye.

What can I say, I was young and foolish at the time.

Who amongst us can say they've never had a drink they would just as soon forget.

Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Elagabalus » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:46 am

Was it good or did it make you sick?

Screw what others think, I want to try some tasty cocktails. I started this thread to hear of some new cocktails that I might not have tried before.

Scotch and bourbon taste great by themselves however at most Canadian restaurants and bars where the selection of whisk(e)y is minimal I would rather get a whisk(e)y based cocktail than drink some shitty whisky straight like Bell's.

HeWWo people.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:31 am

I had an uncounted number of godfathers one evening in my university days, thirty or so years ago, in a bar called the Down Under, in the shadow of Fenway Park. They went down easy, came up rough. Never had another one.

In a pub somewhere, this past year, I overheard an exchange between a waitress and a bartender. A customer had ordered a godfather. "What's in it?" the bartender asked. The waitress shrugged. I hadn't even heard the name mentioned since that blurry night....

"Amaretto and scotch," I said, gagging.

Funny, I forgot everything else about that night.

toshie
Bronze Member

Postby toshie » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:05 am

Fill a highball glass with ice, squeeze in the juice of a quarter of lime and drop another quarter into glass. Add a generous dram of Famous Grouse, top up with ginger beer. The Ginger Grouse is a refreshing drink. I actually had one handed to me containing 18 year old Highland Park, which indicated a certain gallusness on the part of the pourer. (He was a Highland Park employee so I assumed it was ok) :)

irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:02 pm

I don't particularly like cocktails of any sort as they usually are too sweet for me. All I've ever really had in my really younger days :wink: was whiskey and coke and Whiskey and red which has been served in Irish bars for decades.

Whiskey and red by the way seems that it could be a uniquely Irish thing. The red is a fizzy red lemonade which I have not seen anywhere else (but that does not mean it does not exist).

Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Postby Quaichuser » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:25 pm

Elagabalus wrote:Was it good or did it make you sick?

It didn't make me sick...but as Mr T. will attest I don't recommend overindulging in them. :cry:

Alway remember, it isn't the alcohol that causes the hangover, it's whatever it's mixed with.

That's why, with the exception of gin, I take everything straight. (No chaser as Thelonious would say.)

Rory B Bellows

Postby Rory B Bellows » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:40 pm

A Manhattan. Two parts bourbon, 1 part red Vermouth, dash of bitters. My favourite.

Drinking single malt all the time is narrow-minded.

Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Postby Quaichuser » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:58 pm

Rory B Bellows wrote:A Manhattan. Two parts bourbon, 1 part red Vermouth, dash of bitters. My favourite.

I figured your drink of choice to be a Flaming Homer, RB. :lol:

suffolkwhisky

Postby suffolkwhisky » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:16 pm

Elagabalus wrote: some shitty whisky straight like Bell's.

So what is wrong with Bells?

r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby r900p » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:28 pm

Whiksy sour and Ferrari Jack

Can't remember what is in them, the Ferrari Jack is Jack Daniles though.

Rob

I'll find out and post back

Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Elagabalus » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:41 am

suffolkwhisky, if you google White Zinfandel, you will see why it is best if I do not answer your query. The children will become upset.

Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby Mustardhead » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:21 am

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:Whiskey and red by the way seems that it could be a uniquely Irish thing. The red is a fizzy red lemonade which I have not seen anywhere else (but that does not mean it does not exist).

I love that red lemonade! I have fond memories of drinking it on a cycling tour round Southern Ireland. The only soft drinks seemed to be 7-Up and red lemonade.

Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:16 am

Equal measures of whisky and dry gin, stir (do not shake, never shake) together and drink. I call it 'Death of a Clown'.

Drammer

Postby Drammer » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:23 pm

I've had godfathers and rusty nails, but they are both a bit too sweet, depending on my mood. If I'm not in the mood for such sweetness, I tend to drink a whisky sour. They are very simple to make and very good, quite refreshing.

You need a longdrink.
Ice
45 ml Schotch whisky
30 ml fresh lemon juice
15 ml simple sugar syrup.

Don't use an overly strong malt, something like 'fiddich or glenlivet works best. If you don't have syrup you can make it easily by heating a 1 on 1 mix of sugar and water until it dissolves, allow to cool and you're done.
PS:
You ABSOLUTELY need fresh lemons for the juice, this drink is simply horrible with juice from a bottle.

Also: give this a go: Jack Daniels and Ruby Port 1:1.
Absolutely brilliant!
(You could also use another type of bourbon/Whiskey with the risk of it turning too sweet. )

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:43 pm

A Smoky martini, without a doubt. Recommended to all who do not like sweet cocktails and who do like Islay whisky.

This is a very sophisticated martini, with the smokiness brought with .5 - 1 cl of Laphroaig in the recipe. It is delicious.

ALWAYS REMEMBER WHEN MAKING IT:

- Use French martini (Noilly Prat), not Italian Martini

- Any smoky Islay whisky does the trick, but the standard used in it is Laphroaig.

- Use quality gin

- Do not let the bartender simply replace gin with whisky

martin grant
Gold Member

Postby martin grant » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:09 pm

Not really a cocktail, but more of a long drink again. Also very refreshing and great for sipping on a sunny afternoon with your feet up in the garden.
Tall glass, lots of ice, squeeze of fresh lime, a good glug of a decent blend (usually I use BNJ or Antiquary 12 year old) and topped up with tonic. This is really just a good G&T with the gin swapped for whisky but is much tastier (IMHO!)

Rory B Bellows

Postby Rory B Bellows » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:27 pm

Quaichuser wrote:
Rory B Bellows wrote:A Manhattan. Two parts bourbon, 1 part red Vermouth, dash of bitters. My favourite.

Quaichuser, you are the first person to get the Simspon's reference in my screen name.

THIS CONTEST IS OVER: give that man the ten thosand dollars

peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:52 pm

The cocktail in that new Irish whiskey commercial. That's my favorite.

Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Postby Quaichuser » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:04 pm

Rory B Bellows wrote:
Quaichuser wrote:

Quaichuser, you are the first person to get the Simspon's reference in my screen name.

THIS CONTEST IS OVER: give that man the ten thosand dollars

I just checked the LCBO... $10,000 = 35 Macallan 18yr olds, we're not far apart, can I collect on the weekend. :lol: :lol:

Drammer

Postby Drammer » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:01 pm

peergynt323 wrote:The cocktail in that new Irish whiskey commercial. That's my favorite.

"Whadda ya want? A little umbrella?"

friggin awesome commercial. 8)

Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:11 pm

Speaking of cocktails, and Paul's comment "stir (do not shake, never shake)," it reminds me of what I heard about Bourbon, not to shake, as you'll bruise the bourbon. Anyone else ever hear this?? I guess the bruising makes the bourbon bubble and almost foam, not attractive in the drink. And maybe changes it as well. Best to stir gently. But again, has anyone else heard about bruising a bourbon? Or am I imagining weird things??

Drammer

Postby Drammer » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:34 pm

Di Blasi wrote:Speaking of cocktails, and Paul's comment "stir (do not shake, never shake)," it reminds me of what I heard about Bourbon, not to shake, as you'll bruise the bourbon. Anyone else ever hear this?? I guess the bruising makes the bourbon bubble and almost foam, not attractive in the drink. And maybe changes it as well. Best to stir gently. But again, has anyone else heard about bruising a bourbon? Or am I imagining weird things??

I'll bruise you if you don't stop saying those strange things! Witchcraft I tells ya!!! :P

But seriously: I would suppose shaking a bourbon or scotch or any other spirit will introduce lots of oxygen, and therefore facilitate a very fast oxidising process??

Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:33 am

Drammer wrote:
Di Blasi wrote:Speaking of cocktails, and Paul's comment "stir (do not shake, never shake)," it reminds me of what I heard about Bourbon, not to shake, as you'll bruise the bourbon. Anyone else ever hear this?? I guess the bruising makes the bourbon bubble and almost foam, not attractive in the drink. And maybe changes it as well. Best to stir gently. But again, has anyone else heard about bruising a bourbon? Or am I imagining weird things??

I'll bruise you if you don't stop saying those strange things! Witchcraft I tells ya!!! :P

But seriously: I would suppose shaking a bourbon or scotch or any other spirit will introduce lots of oxygen, and therefore facilitate a very fast oxidising process??

Not only the air, but how about the ice, melting, diluting the bourbon, mixing with it, etc. Yes, it will foam up real nice too! So if that's what you're looking for, cool. I guess it could be cool, since it looks kind of like seafoam, done with an Islay whisky cocktail!

Return to “Whisky Chat”