Your First Bottle of Malt

General chat and talk about whisky.
fergusa

Your First Bottle of Malt

Postby fergusa » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:36 pm

Mine was Cragganmore and eased me in to the whisky word surprisingly easily.

It's been a slippy slope ever since. :wink:

vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:44 pm

first full size bottle i think was a bowmore legend, nothing to flashy. again like the what was the first whisky you tried thread, i dont think anyone is going to answer ; o my first purchase was a black bowmore or 30yo macallan. its going to be cheap and chearful as a way in break you into it.

Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Scotchio » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:13 pm

Usual suspects, Fiddich when my parents got all upmarket one xmas, later Morangie 10 and Lap 10 at uni. Although it wasnt these that really drew me in. It was the Sig Brora 81 that was LFW bottling of the year some time back that really opened my eyes and palate to just how amazing malts can be. Perhaps that should be a different thread, which landmark bottle led you from the world of the sane to the land of the obsessive?

Rory B Bellows

Postby Rory B Bellows » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:21 pm

Glenlivit 12. I kept drinking it, thinking: "what's the big deal?"

The next was Bowmore 12: "oh!"

And then Macallan 12 (the real one): "ooohhhh!"

And then Lagavulin 16: "A HHAAAAAAAA!"

Been hooked since.

Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Wave » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:38 pm

I hear ya there vitara7. My very 1st bottle of malt was a Glenfiddich Special Reserve in the early/mid 80's. :wink:

My next several bottles were rather interesting though.
Of what I can remember there was a Glendullan 12yo (94 proof), Miltonduff and a Bruichladdich 15yo. It wasn't until the late 80's that I "discovered" and fell in love with peaty whiskies.

Cheers!

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:36 pm

Almost certainly Glenmorangie back in the late 1970's
MT

Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby Mustardhead » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:45 am

It was either Glenmorangie 10 or Glenlivet 12. At least I know those were the first two bottles so.... ;)

CanadianThistle

Postby CanadianThistle » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:23 pm

First Malt?

A Glenfiddich Special Reserve from Prestwick Airport duty-free shop in the summer of 1976.

At the time, being rather wet-behind-the-ears whisky-wise, this was an attempt to school myself in the finer things.

And while that didn't occur until much later in my wayward & dissolute life, my mother used the container to house her knitting needles for years so it wasn't a total waste ...

r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby r900p » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:26 pm

Bruichladdich Legacy 1 was my first bottle, however before i got this i got a barrel of bruichladdich just after they re-opened.

Rob

lbacha
Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:35 pm

My first purchase was a bottle of Glenfiddich Special Reserve, I still have the tin in my workshop holding dowel rods and balsa wood.

Len

lbacha
Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:36 pm

r900p wrote:Bruichladdich Legacy 1 was my first bottle, however before i got this i got a barrel of bruichladdich just after they re-opened.

Rob

Wow, now that is what you call diving right into it. Most people get a bottle you went for the whole barrel. :lol: :lol:

Len

Dubois
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Dubois » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:01 pm

Glenfarclas (didn't like it)
Lagavulin 16 yrs

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:09 pm

lbacha wrote:
r900p wrote:Bruichladdich Legacy 1 was my first bottle, however before i got this i got a barrel of bruichladdich just after they re-opened.

Rob

Wow, now that is what you call diving right into it. Most people get a bottle you went for the whole barrel. :lol: :lol:

That's called going whole hogshead.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:19 pm

Rob

Rob

I'm genuinely intrigued by the thought process behind this. You must have a story to tell...

r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby r900p » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:48 pm

Its a faily long one, my late uncle was a whisky man, and left some money in the will to go halfs with my dad in buying a barrel for my 18th birthday as he thought he wouldn't make it, but he did. :)

So on my 18th Birthday i was presented with the certificate and sample etc.

Shortly after my birthday my uncle passed away and so we decided to go and see Bruichladdich staying at Port Charlotte Hotel.

When we were at Bruichladdich we learnt that they were lauching the legacy series bottlings with the paintings on the bottle. These paintings being done by Francis McDonald from Crinan hotel. My uncle not just being a malt lover also loved art and coincidently had two of Francis MacDonalds paintings, one of a race horse scene and one a seascape similar to that of the bottlings. So when the bottlings came out we had to buy one, well two, one we drunk and the other i still have t home. So thats the legacy and cask story!

Off to Bruichladdich soon, end of March so can't wait!

If anyone is interested Fancis McDonald is having one of her exhibitions at the Portland Gallery in London, either very soon or just gone, if your down there, i'd definaely recommend going, or if you up at Crinan, Argyll, (just round from Lochgilphead) go to the Crinan Hotel and walk up the street towards the boat chandlers and pear through the building on the opposite side of the road, her studio. Also don't forget the Crinan hotel has an excellent malt lounge.

Rob

Jack Skellington

Postby Jack Skellington » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:59 pm

Cant remember the first Malt i tasted but the first bottle I bought myself was a Balvenie Double Wood.

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

First bottle owned...

Postby Muskrat Portage » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:02 am

It sounds so mundane after viewing other "firsts" but I admit mine was "The Glenlivet" 12 yo. It was a substantial outlay of money for a first year University student back in 1975 and one of a very few SM available in Winnipeg at the time.

I bought it the day after I sampled Glenlivet for the first time with a new friend I'd just met. One has always been in my drinks cabinet since then, 'though.

And the new friend who introduced me to The Glenlivet? He was in my wedding party and is one of my oldest and dearest friends.

Muskrat

kljostad
Bronze Member

Postby kljostad » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:11 pm

Well the first was a bottle of Black Bush, but I don't think it counts. A friend of mine had been in Scotland, and thought us to drink it with hot water and sugar. The first glass tasted evil, the second quite good, and from then on it was heaven. I had to pour everyone out of my appartment after the party.

The first malt I bought to drink as a malt is supposed to, was a Glenmorangie 18.

Kjell

Drammer

Postby Drammer » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:09 pm

First one was a Glen Deveron, not very good in my opinion, too basic, very short finish. Next one was a 'fiddich solera, quite nice, but now my tastes are more towards Springbank, Higland Park and Ardbeg.

Dan G

Postby Dan G » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:35 pm

I tried a lot of different malts while on vacation in Edinburgh, either in pubs or as minis (would buy about 3 or 4 a day at The Whisky Shop and drink them in my hotel). When I came home, for my first purchase of a full-sized bottle, I jumped right in: a Balvenie Double Wood, a Bruichladdich 15 yo, and Highland Park 12. Of those, I had only tried the Balvenie as a mini; had tried the 'Laddie 10 however, and no HP.

mithril
Bronze Member

Postby mithril » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:44 pm

The first bottle I bought was a Glenfarclas 1974 as a gift for my father. The first bottle I bought for myself was a bottle of Auchentoshan 17 Year Bordeaux Finish from DutyFree in Glasgow Airport.

killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:45 am

I jumped in feet first with Ardbeg 10... I bought it only because the Lagavulin was $20+ more but I didn't regret it at all..... my favorite dram so far.... :D

Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:23 pm

...and long may it remain a favourite. I say "a" favourite because the journey will lead you to try many malts. I doubt any will be "bad" but some will jump out at you from first sip, to 'gotta get a bottle,NOW!"

Over time, you 'll find that there's one or two you always want to have around. For me Ardbeg 10 is one of those...perhaps THE only malt I've never been without for 4 years...others go through phases. I go through "sherry" phases, ie. Macallan, or Aberlour...then "mellow' phases like Glenmorangie or a good lowlander...

...but the first bottles I owned were a litre of Glenfiddich NAS from the late 90's, and a litre of Lagavulin 16, both given to me for playing a couple of toons at this guy's party. I knew nothing about whisky - had tried the Glenfiddich before thanks to a girlfriend, but only to get drunk before we hit the sack...got nothing from tthe flavour.

But I loved the LOOK of the Lagavulin bottle, and when I opened it and caught the aroma that escaped, I was intrigued, fascinated, charmed! Like a 16th century bible ina bottle, i thought.

So began my journey down the slippery slope. 200 whiskies tried later, and I'm still sliding...and loving every slip n' sip!!!

Steve Rush
Bronze Member

Postby Steve Rush » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:23 pm

Since university I have always been a whisky/bourbon man, though in those days which were'nt that long ago I'd usually buy Jack Daniels as because it was so cheap in student pubs I'd simply adjusted my self to the budget factor and the cost efficiency of getting drunk.

Within the next couple of years I'd moved onto scotch as it were with the likes of Glenfiddich 12yr and even JB rare.

The magic really happend one day at a Wetherspoons pub in Liverpool Street station where just by chance they were out of Glenfiddich and Jim Beam Black but I was offered a glasss of what was called Laphroig 10yr old. Once that glowing powerfull water of life in a semi clean tumbler hit my taste buds I was a complete quality single malt convert.

That day on the way home I tried to buy a bottle but couldn't find it but did see on a shelf a bottle of 16yr old Lagavulin, it said it was from Islay which rang a bell after I'd enquired early in the pub about the Laphroig. So I said I'll have that one then and took it home. When I first tasted it I couldn't believe my taste buds. I though it knocked the socks of the Laphroig and still up until this day it is known as the old faithfull.

Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:58 pm

Funny how lagavulin 16 does the magic for so many whisky virgins...

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:58 pm

Steve Rush wrote:Once that glowing powerfull water of life in a semi clean tumbler....

Ah, Wetherspoons....

just1otherguy

Postby just1otherguy » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:26 pm

When I entered the world of malt I was just looking for the cheapest representation I could find. A bottle of Speyburn 10 YO cost me exactly twenty bucks. As far as cost-to-quality ratio goes I still hold it in high regards, although I haven't purchased it myself in quite sometime. But I'd quickly recommend it to someone interested in SMS.

Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Postby Quaichuser » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:01 am

I was a Bells drinker for years before I moved to single malts.

It's been a while but the first was probably a standard Glenfiddich then a Glenlivet. That exhausted the selection around here at the time. I had to go farther afield to find things like Knockando and Cardhu (1985)

It's been a wonderful journey ever since.

My first Macallan 18 only cost $79.00. :D I saw it the other day at $280.00 :cry:

Should have bought a truckload the first time around!

Return to “Whisky Chat”