Bowmore 12 vs. JW Black Label?

General chat and talk about whisky.
Burstbucker

Bowmore 12 vs. JW Black Label?

Postby Burstbucker » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:41 pm

Hi guys,

First post here from a newbie in Canada. Well, actually I have three years under my belt but that's nothing compared to most scotch lovers out there I'm sure.

Anyway, this might be a dumb question but seeing as the price of Bowmore 12 yo single malt is $3.00 cheaper than JW Black Label here in my province of New Brunswick, it would seem that the Bowmore 12 is a better deal, it's actually one of the lowest priced 12 year old single malt scotches available to us. I guess that it isn't a great seller here or something.

I remember buying this three years ago just as I was getting into scotch whisky and it was actually my second purchase, the first one being GlenLivet 12. But at that time, being a total newbie, the smoky/peaty flavour profile was pretty unsettling let's just say, I really didn't like it, LOL But since then, I've had Compass Box Peat Monster and Ardbeg 10 and have come to appreciate it better than before.

I should mention that taxes on liquor are through the roof here!!! Getting worse year after year, if it keeps up we will have a hard time buying any scotch at this rate.

So if it was you that was shopping for a bottle, would you rate the Bowmore 12 higher than the JW Black Label, especially considering that the Bowmore 12 is $3.00 less than the Black Label?

Administrator
Administrator

Re: Bowmore 12 vs. JW Black Label?

Postby Administrator » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:17 pm

They are very different whiskies. If you are learning and exploring whiskies take the Bowmore, now you've come to terms with peat you should enjoy. If you just want an everyday drinking spirit the Black Label is very nice and versatile for mixing

Burstbucker

Re: Bowmore 12 vs. JW Black Label?

Postby Burstbucker » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:52 am

Thanks for your input BTW.

So yeah, I think I will just the old Bowmore 12 another chance since I should be better able to enjoy it this time around, it probably wasn't the best choice for my first bottle three years ago.

Return to “Whisky Chat”