Reccomendation for a peated, well aged whisky.

General chat and talk about whisky.
Evangelion2014

Reccomendation for a peated, well aged whisky.

Postby Evangelion2014 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:25 pm

So I've been putting of my taxes for a long time and should be getting me return in august. I'm looking for a single malt at least 18 years old, preferably longer, though tasting notes take precedence over raw age. I'm in PA so I'm limited to what I can buy by what the state sells. I'm not really looking to go above $250 either.

I really like salt, iodine peat and maritme notes, orange and citrus as well as chocolate/cocoa and coffee notes. I've been thinking of glendronach 21 as I love their 15, though on the heavily sherried front I don't know why I would buy anything but more abundah's. The highland park 18 seems to be a natural fit, since it's both sherry aged to an extent and replete with maritime notes, as well as the talisker 18. There's also springbank 18, benriach burgundy cask 21, glendronach 25 (though it's sherried it's really old and I haven't had a scotch this heavily aged), oban 18 and the bowmore 18. Any thoughts?

whiskgeek
Silver Member

Re: Reccomendation for a peated, well aged whisky.

Postby whiskgeek » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:34 pm

Peat diminishes over time, so at 18 they're not very peaty.

Tal 18 is very light. HP18 has a lot more body, and some sherry. You can't go wrong with Springbank.

Return to “Whisky Chat”