US single malt lovers - Help needed! Discerning palates...

General chat and talk about whisky.
scotchandthrift

US single malt lovers - Help needed! Discerning palates...

Postby scotchandthrift » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:10 pm

I need to work out what this is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXSs2mou_RY

To explain, I stumbled upon this review just the other day, after looking for a decent Glenfarclas review. The reviewer matches up 3 single malts of similar ages and I was surprised that he had chosen to match up a costco bottling of 'Highland' single malt against a Glenfarclas and a Macallan.

I was intrigued by the value of costco's highland single malt, so I went and picked up a bottle of the 16 year old Highland to give it a try. I thought at $48.99 it was definitely worth a go!

:oops: NOW IT'S REALLY ANNOYING ME! :oops:

If you watch the video you'll see what I mean, but I really can't work out what distillery it is. It could be any of the highland distilleries but it's unlike any that I've ever tried so I'm really puzzled as to where it came from.

I was quite surprised at the quality of the whisky considering the price. However I'm still baffled and need help!

Has anyone else tried this bottle?

scotchandthrift

Re: US single malt lovers - Help needed! Discerning palates.

Postby scotchandthrift » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:28 pm

Having tasted it I don't think it's Macallan. It's got a very malty character which doesn't resemble Macallan for me. Although I've tried most of the whiskies from the Highland region over the years I'm struggling to identify what this is. It's good stuff but puzzling.

whiskgeek
Silver Member

Re: US single malt lovers - Help needed! Discerning palates...

Postby whiskgeek » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:11 am

Could it be Glenfarclas?

Return to “Whisky Chat”