I have a bottle of Van Winkle from the '80s

General chat and talk about whisky.
rattler31

I have a bottle of Van Winkle from the '80s

Postby rattler31 » Mon May 16, 2016 9:30 pm

I feel like I should start with telling y'all how I came across this bottle... Two years ago my girlfriend at the time, now ex, decided to surprise me with a present. I have absolutely no idea what caused her to go on craigslist and search "Pappy Van Winkle" but she managed to come across some people who were cleaning out their grandfathers house after he passed, and they stumbled upon his whiskey collection. I know this sounds made up, but I'm not kidding. She managed to score a bottle of Van Winkle that was distilled in '68 and bottled in '84 for a very low price. I was 19 at the time and decided to wait until I was 21 to do anything with it, and the time has come.
Let's be honest, I'm a kid and I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to whiskey. I really want to drink it, but I'd rather pass it on to someone who will know what the hell they're doing and will actually be able to enjoy it. With that being said, I would really like to sell it and find the bottle a good home. However, I'm smart enough to know people will fake anything that costs a lot of money; I just want to be able to find a way to authenticate the bottle before I feel confident in selling it to anyone. I have absolutely no intention of screwing anyone over, and if I find out the bottle is fake, then I'll just drink it and cry while I think about all the money I didn't make.
I am very new to this forum (I've been a member for about 15 minutes) so I do apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong place. I'm in college and the bottle is back with my parents, but I do have a picture of it that will maybe help me make some progress. I had to crop down the original picture because it was larger than 1mb, but I've got a screenshot of the label for y'all to take a look at.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-05-16 at 3.31.45 PM.png

Return to “Whisky Chat”