Recommendations (novice here)

General chat and talk about whisky.
cjwolter

Recommendations (novice here)

Postby cjwolter » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:17 am

My brother is a scotch drinker, I am a novice but certainly learning more in the process. He is retiring in the coming years from the military and I would like to get him a bottle as a gift. Significant years for him are 1990 and 1994 so I originally set out thinking to find a bottle distilled (indicated on the label) in one of these years. His go to is Oban but also drinks Glenlivet, Dahlwinnie, Macallen and Auchentoshan. The options are fairly limited and wanting the distilled year ('94 or '90) indicated makes it a tougher pick.

My question is which do you feel would make the best gift?

The bottles I am considering are:
1) Oban 21yr (no link to the dates but a premium bottle of his go to)
2) Glenlivet 1994-2011 Single Cask @58.9%ABV bottled by Berry Bros & Rudd
3) Oban Distillers Edition (1990 vintage)
4) Auchentoshan 21yr (1994 distilled) single cask @54.8%ABV bottled by The Whisky Agency
5) Auchentoshan SilverOak Limited Release 22yr (1990 distilled) @50.9%ABV

Cheers and thanks!
Chris

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Re: Recommendations (novice here)

Postby Muskrat Portage » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:05 pm

Looking at the selection and based on years that are important to him, I would lean towards the Oban DE 1990. The 21 would probably be a fine dram but you want something for his retirement that will have special meaning for him. SO I would opt for the DE.
Must be nice to have this selection to choose from, up here in the brisk part of the world, I don't have so many options.

Musky

cjwolter

Postby cjwolter » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:51 am

The only concern I have with the Oban DE is that I'd be paying a premium just to get an old stock bottle. The SilverOak has been well recommended plus is a 1990 bottling. I am still tempted by the 21 yr Oban just because it rare/special in it's own plus being his preferred. I could always tell him about my idea for something to tie I the years. Selection is not great here; these would all be online orders to source. Stay warm up there with a nice dream of your favorite. Cheers!

drawman623

Postby drawman623 » Sun May 15, 2016 4:28 pm

I've been drinking Oban as my goto choice for several years now. The 18 is superb. I located 2 bottles of 21 locally and after sampling the first, bought the other as well. For a fan of Oban, the 21 is very special. As I understand it, just over 2800 bottles were produced and released in 2013. Great IMO.

The Distiller's Choice Oban was not bad but I would favor the 14 or 18 over it. I'm a young scotch drinker though so please consider this. The reviews I read about the DC were all quite convincing. I found myself wondering what they tasted that I was missing in the end though.

Return to “Whisky Chat”