Newbie with a serious question

General chat and talk about whisky.
paperboy1

Newbie with a serious question

Postby paperboy1 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:01 pm

Hi all. I'm Stevie and new so this is my first post.
My wife bought me a bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail for my birthday. After pouring 4 drams for a few friends I noticed the whisky "bubbling" in the glass!
I'm now concerned that the oogie is not as it seems. I only ask this because I remember watching a watchdog programme and a sign of fake whisky is that it foams/bubbles when you shake the bottle. So I'm asking all oogie fans to shake their bottles and tell me if this is normal. I tried this with bottles of Talisker, Glen Livet, Jura Prophecy and good old Whyte and Mackay. Not one bottle foamed to the extent of this "oogie"!! Have I a fake??
Thanks in advance.

paperboy1

Re: Newbie with a serious question

Postby paperboy1 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:15 pm

Thanks for reply. Took my bottle to local bottle shop and the resident expert said likewise. Bottles over 46% produce bubbles (ie cask strength). I live and learn. Now to enjoy my first bottle of Uigeadail.

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Re: Newbie with a serious question

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:27 am

You were misled by the program. One of the tests we apply during our tastings here is to pour a CS whisky in the glass, cover it with the hand and give it a quick shake. A string of bubbles, aka "string of pearls" appears around the edge of the liquid against the glass confirming the whisky is in fact Cask Strength.

Ganga, as always, is bang on the money.

I would cast a certain amount of doubt on any "watchdog" program that can mess up something so simple.

Musky

Return to “Whisky Chat”