Supermarket Deals

General chat and talk about whisky.
whiteshirt
Bronze Member
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:17 pm
Location: England

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby whiteshirt » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:44 pm

Just bagged the last two bottles of Glen Moray for £8 at Tesco. Spoke to the manager who says there are a few of these plus Glenkinchies still around (£7 for this one)
They are reduced to clear, as there is a strong possibilty of not restocking these two.

sinclair
Bronze Member
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:53 pm

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby sinclair » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:40 pm

Went into Booths and saw 2 single cask bottlings by an independant bottler called Douglas of Drumguir Castle or something like that,had never heard of this IB before anyway.One bottling was a Rosebank 19yr old for £65 and the other a Port Ellen 26yr old for £99 .Has anybody any info on these.(Definately not Douglas Laing OMC ).

Charlie
New member
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:00 pm

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby Charlie » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:15 pm

sinclair wrote:Went into Booths and saw 2 single cask bottlings by an independant bottler called Douglas of Drumguir Castle or something like that,had never heard of this IB before anyway.One bottling was a Rosebank 19yr old for £65 and the other a Port Ellen 26yr old for £99 .Has anybody any info on these.(Definately not Douglas Laing OMC ).



I've got a bottle of the 26yr old Port Ellen. It is stunning. Not cheap, but well getting as it is rare now.

User avatar
mlawrenson
New member
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:02 am
Location: Preston, UK

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby mlawrenson » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:18 pm

sinclair wrote:Went into Booths and saw 2 single cask bottlings by an independant bottler called Douglas of Drumguir Castle or something like that,had never heard of this IB before anyway.One bottling was a Rosebank 19yr old for £65 and the other a Port Ellen 26yr old for £99 .Has anybody any info on these.(Definately not Douglas Laing OMC ).


As I'm sure readers of this thread know, I work for Booths. Those two bottlings turned up on our system about 8 days ago. The licensed manager said "£65 and £99? I'm not getting those" and promptly stopped them coming in.

She came to me to ask about them(as for some reason I'm their go-to guy for whisky info), and I explained about Rosebank and Port Ellen being closed distilleries, which is why they cost so much. I had them send me a bottle of the Rosebank from another nearby store (I suspect they were glad to get rid of it), which I got yesterday.

I got staff discount so I didn't have to pay the full £65, but I can say it's the best Rosebank I've had so far. I'll say this - the legs are so heavy the droplets cling to the side of the glass

Image

Whiskytaster
Bronze Member
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:15 pm

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby Whiskytaster » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:34 pm

My local Tesco has just gone crazy !! They have ditched all but 5 single malts;

Glenmo, Laphroaig, Glenfiddich, Talisker and Ardbeg and reduced space to just one shelf.

Less than 6 months ago there were 5 shelves full of various......

anyone else seeing this in their supermarkets?

sinclair
Bronze Member
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:53 pm

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby sinclair » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:10 pm

Thanks mlawrenson for the info sorry did not reply sooner but busy with work. I feel a trip to Booths coming on.Any chance of a Saturday job on the Wines and Spirits Dept by the way?(oh, and would i get discount?).

whiteshirt
Bronze Member
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:17 pm
Location: England

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby whiteshirt » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:18 pm

Whiskytaster wrote:My local Tesco has just gone crazy !! They have ditched all but 5 single malts;

Glenmo, Laphroaig, Glenfiddich, Talisker and Ardbeg and reduced space to just one shelf.

Less than 6 months ago there were 5 shelves full of various......

anyone else seeing this in their supermarkets?


Been around all three of my local Tesco. Yes! They are doing all the same

sinclair
Bronze Member
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:53 pm

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby sinclair » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:21 pm

Checked out my Tesco ,same thing as everyone else has reported though they did have The Speyside 12 for £24.99 .Was i tempted? No.Is something going on?, maybe there clearing stock for the Christmas range ,we need to know.

Kim
Silver Member
Posts: 393
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:10 pm
Location: The North

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby Kim » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:49 pm

My local Tesco is a big one and doesn't seem to be cutting back. Five shelves, each about 10 bottles wide, provide a reasonable choice, with Glenmorangie and Glenfiddich each getting a shelf to themselves.

One thing I have noticed is that Talisker 10yo is spreading sideways at the expense of Ardbeg and Lagavulin, both of which I haven't seen for months.

Kim
Silver Member
Posts: 393
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:10 pm
Location: The North

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby Kim » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:17 pm

Morrisons
Bushmills 10yo - £21.49
Balvenie 12yo DoubleWood - £22.49

User avatar
ClubSmed
Gold Member
Posts: 520
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:37 pm
Location: Glasgow
Contact:

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby ClubSmed » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:04 am

Tesco

The Glenlivet 12yo Single Malt Whisky 70cl
SAVE £4.79 Was £25.79 Now £21.00

The Balvenie Doublewood Malt 70cl
SAVE £4.30 Was £27.30 Now £23.00

Talisker 10yo Malt Whisky 70cl
SAVE £4.32 Was £28.32 Now £24.00

Johnnie Walker Black Label Whisky 70cl
SAVE £2.04 Was £22.04 Now £20.00

Jameson Irish Whiskey 70cl
SAVE £2.19 Was £17.19 Now £15.00

Jameson 12yo Irish Whiskey 70cl
SAVE £2.69 Was £24.69 Now £22.00

Isle Of Jura 10yo Malt Whisky 70cl
SAVE £6.45 Was £26.45 Now £20.00

Chivas Regal 12yo Whisky 70cl
SAVE £3.19 Was £21.19 Now £18.00

Aberlour 10yo Malt Whisky 70cl
SAVE £5.89 Was £23.89 Now £18.00

Not all my idea of a bargain but I thought I would put it out there for you to make your own minds up

User avatar
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member
Posts: 4943
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:16 am
Location: Gunwalloe

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby les taylor » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:19 am

Cheers Clubsmed I might grab a T10 :)

Kim
Silver Member
Posts: 393
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:10 pm
Location: The North

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby Kim » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:13 pm

les taylor wrote:Cheers Clubsmed I might grab a T10 :)

I grabbed two. In fact, Talisker was the only one on offer today.

Spoke too soon about there being no changes at my Tesco. The five shelves have been reduced to two and a half and they have to share a section with brandy now. Ardbeg and Laga seem to have gone for good. And we've got two new offerings - Ardmore TC and HP 18 which, at nearly £60, is the priciest they've got.

User avatar
ClubSmed
Gold Member
Posts: 520
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:37 pm
Location: Glasgow
Contact:

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby ClubSmed » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:45 pm

Also saw Black Grouse at Tesco on offer at £13

Kim
Silver Member
Posts: 393
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:10 pm
Location: The North

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby Kim » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:05 pm

And Booths are selling Old Pulteney 12yo at £19.

User avatar
mlawrenson
New member
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:02 am
Location: Preston, UK

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby mlawrenson » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:37 pm

Kim wrote:And Booths are selling Old Pulteney 12yo at £19.


Not to mention Te Bheag for £14.49, and Tobermory 10 for £15.33 (but who in their right mind would want that). I'll wait for the next promotion, details of which should arrive next week.

User avatar
ClubSmed
Gold Member
Posts: 520
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:37 pm
Location: Glasgow
Contact:

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby ClubSmed » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:10 am

mlawrenson wrote:
Kim wrote:And Booths are selling Old Pulteney 12yo at £19.


Not to mention Te Bheag for £14.49, and Tobermory 10 for £15.33 (but who in their right mind would want that). I'll wait for the next promotion, details of which should arrive next week.


Is this a new offer or another case of YOU thought that no-one else would want to buy these?

User avatar
mlawrenson
New member
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:02 am
Location: Preston, UK

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby mlawrenson » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:40 pm

ClubSmed wrote:
mlawrenson wrote:
Kim wrote:And Booths are selling Old Pulteney 12yo at £19.


Not to mention Te Bheag for £14.49, and Tobermory 10 for £15.33 (but who in their right mind would want that). I'll wait for the next promotion, details of which should arrive next week.


Is this a new offer or another case of YOU thought that no-one else would want to buy these?


No, these started on Thursday. Along with Dalwhinnie 15 for £27.50. And probably some others I can't immediately recall.

And there's really no need to be so caustic.

User avatar
ClubSmed
Gold Member
Posts: 520
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:37 pm
Location: Glasgow
Contact:

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby ClubSmed » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:24 am

mlawrenson wrote:No, these started on Thursday. Along with Dalwhinnie 15 for £27.50. And probably some others I can't immediately recall.

And there's really no need to be so caustic.


I am sorry if my post was taken that way, was just a little worse for wear when posting
:oops:

User avatar
ClubSmed
Gold Member
Posts: 520
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:37 pm
Location: Glasgow
Contact:

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby ClubSmed » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:00 am

I should add that a friend of mine worked at Booths until Thursday this week so if they had been offers that had been on before that it would mean that I could have got them with staff discount so would be annoyed.
:x

Sorry for coming across as agressive though
:oops:

angryratman
New member
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:57 pm

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby angryratman » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:29 pm

I've just discovered this forum.

Probably the best thing I've done on the internet.

User avatar
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member
Posts: 2541
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2002 2:01 am
Location: Usually somewhere with Whisky......
Contact:

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:46 pm

Whiskytaster wrote:My local Tesco has just gone crazy !! They have ditched all but 5 single malts;

Glenmo, Laphroaig, Glenfiddich, Talisker and Ardbeg and reduced space to just one shelf.

Less than 6 months ago there were 5 shelves full of various......

anyone else seeing this in their supermarkets?


I'm glad i saw this i was just about to ask the same question, last thursday was the first time we'd been in since before our Holidays and the single malts were down from a full shelf section about 2 metres wide to about two shelves . No Ardbeg (first time i've never seen any ardbeg there for years !) but they did have Ardmore as a new addition .

User avatar
ClubSmed
Gold Member
Posts: 520
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:37 pm
Location: Glasgow
Contact:

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby ClubSmed » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:23 pm

In one of my local Tescos they have reduced the shelf space but added HP18, Yamazaki 10 and Black Grouse.

I will have a look at my other local Tesco later in the week to see what has happened there

r900p
Double Gold Member
Posts: 1510
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:24 am
Location: Liverpool

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby r900p » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:26 pm

Not a lot here in Liverpool Tesco,4/5 malts, same in Sainsburys 4/5 and same brands.

But i haven't seen any offers since the store opened.

Rob

User avatar
ClubSmed
Gold Member
Posts: 520
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:37 pm
Location: Glasgow
Contact:

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby ClubSmed » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:37 pm

Tesco

The Glenlivet 18yo 70cl
SAVE £7.79 Was £35.79 Now £28.00

whiteshirt
Bronze Member
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:17 pm
Location: England

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby whiteshirt » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:39 pm

Ardbegs have reappeared on the shelves at TESCO
Full price.

Kim
Silver Member
Posts: 393
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:10 pm
Location: The North

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby Kim » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:19 pm

ClubSmed wrote:Tesco

The Glenlivet 18yo 70cl
SAVE £7.79 Was £35.79 Now £28.00

Also Glenfiddich 12yo for £21.

Along with Ardbeg and Lagavulin I've noticed my Tesco appears to have dropped three other whiskies - Glen Moray, Glenkinchie and Bunnahabhain.

angryratman
New member
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:57 pm

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby angryratman » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:23 pm

ASDA, Moss Side, Manchester. 28/08/09

---Reduced--- (didn't write down what from sorry...)

Balvenie Signature, 12yrs £24.98

Balvenie Double Wood, 12yrs £27.28

Ardbeg, 10yrs £29.74

Glenmorangie, 10yrs £30.85

Glenfidich Coran Reserve £26.98


I bought a Balvenie Signature. Never tried. I like Balvenie.

My first whiskey post. Woo! Happy!

Kim
Silver Member
Posts: 393
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:10 pm
Location: The North

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby Kim » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:50 pm

At Sainsbury's
Talisker 10yo - £23.80
Glenmorangie Original - £22.49
Glenlivet 15yo French Oak Reserve - £24.59

User avatar
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member
Posts: 4943
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:16 am
Location: Gunwalloe

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby les taylor » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:41 pm

Kim wrote:At Sainsbury's
Talisker 10yo - £23.80
Glenmorangie Original - £22.49
Glenlivet 15yo French Oak Reserve - £24.59


Also Monkey Shoulder at £18.39.

daveski
New member
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 8:36 pm

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby daveski » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:17 pm

Kim wrote:
ClubSmed wrote:Tesco

The Glenlivet 18yo 70cl
SAVE £7.79 Was £35.79 Now £28.00

Also Glenfiddich 12yo for £21.

Along with Ardbeg and Lagavulin I've noticed my Tesco appears to have dropped three other whiskies - Glen Moray, Glenkinchie and Bunnahabhain.


Ours still seems to have the Bunn. Noted that the Talisker 10 is also reduced by £4.50 (ish).

User avatar
ClubSmed
Gold Member
Posts: 520
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:37 pm
Location: Glasgow
Contact:

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby ClubSmed » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:18 pm

daveski wrote:Ours still seems to have the Bunn. Noted that the Talisker 10 is also reduced by £4.50 (ish).

As I said
ClubSmed wrote:Tesco

The Glenlivet 12yo Single Malt Whisky 70cl
SAVE £4.79 Was £25.79 Now £21.00

The Balvenie Doublewood Malt 70cl
SAVE £4.30 Was £27.30 Now £23.00

Talisker 10yo Malt Whisky 70cl
SAVE £4.32 Was £28.32 Now £24.00

Johnnie Walker Black Label Whisky 70cl
SAVE £2.04 Was £22.04 Now £20.00

Jameson Irish Whiskey 70cl
SAVE £2.19 Was £17.19 Now £15.00

Jameson 12yo Irish Whiskey 70cl
SAVE £2.69 Was £24.69 Now £22.00

Isle Of Jura 10yo Malt Whisky 70cl
SAVE £6.45 Was £26.45 Now £20.00

Chivas Regal 12yo Whisky 70cl
SAVE £3.19 Was £21.19 Now £18.00

Aberlour 10yo Malt Whisky 70cl
SAVE £5.89 Was £23.89 Now £18.00

Not all my idea of a bargain but I thought I would put it out there for you to make your own minds up

Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member
Posts: 1945
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: Reigate, UK
Contact:

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby Reggaeblues » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:25 am

I could go for some o' that!

Especially the Talisker and the Aberlour...

Kim
Silver Member
Posts: 393
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:10 pm
Location: The North

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby Kim » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:22 pm

At Morrisons
Talisker 10yo - £23.34
Glenmorangie Original - £23.49
Glenmorangie Lasanta - £24.50
Isle Of Jura - £21.45
Tormore 12yo - £17.15

r900p
Double Gold Member
Posts: 1510
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:24 am
Location: Liverpool

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby r900p » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:09 am

My Tesco is just getting worse and worse

1 x bottle of Laphroaig, no tube, last one ever going to get in!
Talisker 10 lots
Glenmo lots

thats it.... my store must have a useless buyer, if you want any very cheap whisky they had 9 variaties under a tenner.

Rob


Return to “Whisky Chat”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest