Supermarket Deals

General chat and talk about whisky.
whiteshirt
Bronze Member
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:17 pm

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby whiteshirt » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:04 pm

At TESCO

Glenkinchie 12yrs old

£27.99 NOW HALF PRICE AT £14

User avatar
ClubSmed
Gold Member
Posts: 520
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:37 pm

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby ClubSmed » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:07 pm

whiteshirt wrote:At TESCO

Glenkinchie 12yrs old

£27.99 NOW HALF PRICE AT £14


That is an amazing price! It is 70cl?

whiteshirt
Bronze Member
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:17 pm

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby whiteshirt » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:36 pm

ClubSmed wrote:
whiteshirt wrote:At TESCO

Glenkinchie 12yrs old

£27.99 NOW HALF PRICE AT £14


That is an amazing price! It is 70cl?


Yes 70cl.

I grabbed two bottles.

User avatar
ClubSmed
Gold Member
Posts: 520
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:37 pm

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby ClubSmed » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:24 pm

The Glenkinchie 12yrs old was full price in the Tesco near me but they did have Glen Moray reduced to £8.00
:iwbrnt:

sinclair
Bronze Member
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:53 pm

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby sinclair » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:06 am

Tesco Four Roses Yellow label Bourbon £8 !!!!

DanAir
Bronze Member
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:41 pm

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby DanAir » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:54 am

In addition to the £14 Glenkinchie and the £8 Glen Moray, Tesco have Glenfiddich Toasted Oak at £14. Saw these online, don't know about instore.

I find it amusing that the Glen Moray, which by most accounts is a decent single malt, is cheaper than the Tesco Value Whisky right now!

User avatar
ClubSmed
Gold Member
Posts: 520
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:37 pm

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby ClubSmed » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:08 am

DanAir wrote:In addition to the £14 Glenkinchie and the £8 Glen Moray, Tesco have Glenfiddich Toasted Oak at £14. Saw these online, don't know about instore.

I find it amusing that the Glen Moray, which by most accounts is a decent single malt, is cheaper than the Tesco Value Whisky right now!


The Glenfiddich Toasted Oak was not on offer when I went in yesterday but will check again as this was rather nice when I tried it in Newcastle.

slojo
Bronze Member
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:42 pm

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby slojo » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:46 pm

I've read (but cannot confirm) that Lagavulin has been reduced to £19 at Tesco :shock:

User avatar
ClubSmed
Gold Member
Posts: 520
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:37 pm

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby ClubSmed » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:42 pm

slojo wrote:I've read (but cannot confirm) that Lagavulin has been reduced to £19 at Tesco :shock:


Tesco seem to be doing lots of great deals on whisky at the moment but never more than one in any one store. Maybe we should make a Tesco Whisky Deals map
:lol:

Hereward
New member
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:23 pm

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby Hereward » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:20 pm

That was depressing. I rushed off to my local Tesco, just on the off chance, and they had no deals at all, other than Bowmore Legend at £18.

User avatar
ClubSmed
Gold Member
Posts: 520
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:37 pm

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby ClubSmed » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:23 pm

Hereward wrote:That was depressing. I rushed off to my local Tesco, just on the off chance, and they had no deals at all, other than Bowmore Legend at £18.

I just went online and they all seem to be there for me so may be worth a try?
Also you could get £10 off a £50 spend using code XX-PD96 if it is your first online order making an even better deal!

User avatar
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member
Posts: 4943
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:16 am

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby les taylor » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:19 pm

Hereward wrote:That was depressing. I rushed off to my local Tesco, just on the off chance, and they had no deals at all, other than Bowmore Legend at £18.



Me too, only thing on offer was the Glen moray, and guess what completely empty shelf. £3.40 off Laphroiag. I got 2 jars of percol espresso coffee a couple of Chardonnay's a Shiraz and a pack of little french beers for the fridge. Man it's hot here, still 26c at 8pm, and they go down well.

Kim
Silver Member
Posts: 393
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:10 pm

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby Kim » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:49 pm

DanAir wrote:In addition to the £14 Glenkinchie and the £8 Glen Moray, Tesco have Glenfiddich Toasted Oak at £14. Saw these online, don't know about instore.

At my Tesco they were selling Glen Moray at £8 - unfortunately the shelves were empty by the time I got there.

However, there were three bottles of Glenfiddich 12yo Toasted Oak Reserve on sale at less than half price - £14. I grabbed a couple and, being a generous soul, left the last for one of you.

User avatar
ClubSmed
Gold Member
Posts: 520
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:37 pm

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby ClubSmed » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:11 am

Kim wrote:At my Tesco they were selling Glen Moray at £8 - unfortunately the shelves were empty by the time I got there.

However, there were three bottles of Glenfiddich 12yo Toasted Oak Reserve on sale at less than half price - £14. I grabbed a couple and, being a generous soul, left the last for one of you.


I have ordered a supply of Glen Moray, Four Roses, Toasted Oak and GlenKinchie online to take advantage of the £10 of first delivery but am now worried that they will have sold out by the time they are dilivered and I will end up with nothing because I was greedy!

:headbang:

slojo
Bronze Member
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:42 pm

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby slojo » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:26 pm

ClubSmed wrote:
Kim wrote:At my Tesco they were selling Glen Moray at £8 - unfortunately the shelves were empty by the time I got there.

However, there were three bottles of Glenfiddich 12yo Toasted Oak Reserve on sale at less than half price - £14. I grabbed a couple and, being a generous soul, left the last for one of you.


I have ordered a supply of Glen Moray, Four Roses, Toasted Oak and GlenKinchie online to take advantage of the £10 of first delivery but am now worried that they will have sold out by the time they are dilivered and I will end up with nothing because I was greedy!

:headbang:


Don't hold your breath...the shelves were emptied of the offer bottles at my local (other than the Four Roses, which didn't particularly interest me) and I imagine it is the same nationwide.

Good luck though!

Charlie
New member
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:00 pm

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby Charlie » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:59 pm

I've been to Tesco today. Plenty of empty shelves, and no bargains.

Kim
Silver Member
Posts: 393
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:10 pm

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby Kim » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:14 pm

At Sainsbury's just Bushmills 10yo (£20.09) and Glenlivet 12yo (£21.99) on offer.

Kim
Silver Member
Posts: 393
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:10 pm

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby Kim » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:06 pm

Tesco
Isle of Jura - £21.45
Bunnahabhain 12yo - £23.15

hearts151
New member
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby hearts151 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:17 pm

At oddbins (don't know how long) Aberlour A'bunadh batch 25 £5 off at £31. Bought one myself, very nice!

Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member
Posts: 1945
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby Reggaeblues » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:12 pm

Saw Lappy 1/4 cask in sainsbury's today for £21 and a few pence...

Kim
Silver Member
Posts: 393
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:10 pm

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby Kim » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:34 pm

Morrisons
Laphoaig 10yo - £21
Tobermory 10yo - £22
Ardmore Traditional Cask - £25

User avatar
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member
Posts: 4943
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:16 am

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby les taylor » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:09 am

Ardmore at Sainsbury's £10 off :shock: Selling at £20. :)

Kim
Silver Member
Posts: 393
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:10 pm

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby Kim » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:49 pm

Reggaeblues wrote:Saw Lappy 1/4 cask in sainsbury's today for £21 and a few pence...

les taylor wrote:Ardmore at Sainsbury's £10 off :shock: Selling at £20. :)

Not at mine. Their very small selection of whiskies were all at full price. :x

User avatar
ClubSmed
Gold Member
Posts: 520
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:37 pm

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby ClubSmed » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:31 pm

at Sainsburys:

The Singleton Of Dufftown Single Malt 70cl

Save £8.00 was £25.49 now £17.49

hearts151
New member
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby hearts151 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:44 am

aberlour 10yo 16.99 at scotmid/co-op

Whiskytaster
Bronze Member
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:15 pm

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby Whiskytaster » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:16 am

hmmm, absolutely nothing of interest discounted at Tesco today :cry:

User avatar
mlawrenson
New member
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:02 am

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby mlawrenson » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:54 pm

ClubSmed wrote:at Sainsburys:

The Singleton Of Dufftown Single Malt 70cl

Save £8.00 was £25.49 now £17.49


Booths had it for £15, all gone though, as far as I know.

The Licensed Manager at the one I work at was reduced to phoning other stores to see if they had any more for a customer who thought it was the best whisky he'd ever had.

User avatar
ClubSmed
Gold Member
Posts: 520
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:37 pm

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby ClubSmed » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:02 am

mlawrenson wrote:Booths had it (The Singleton Of Dufftown) for £15, all gone though, as far as I know.

The Licensed Manager at the one I work at was reduced to phoning other stores to see if they had any more for a customer who thought it was the best whisky he'd ever had.


Why did you not post this deal? or did I miss it?

User avatar
mlawrenson
New member
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:02 am

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby mlawrenson » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:11 pm

ClubSmed wrote:
mlawrenson wrote:Booths had it (The Singleton Of Dufftown) for £15, all gone though, as far as I know.

The Licensed Manager at the one I work at was reduced to phoning other stores to see if they had any more for a customer who thought it was the best whisky he'd ever had.


Why did you not post this deal? or did I miss it?


I didn't think anyone would actually want Dungleton of Sifftown 12.

We do still have plenty of Laphroiag 15 at £37, though.

User avatar
peat-chaser
Bronze Member
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:59 am

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby peat-chaser » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:13 pm

Surely the better choice ....

:lol:

Charlie
New member
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:00 pm

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby Charlie » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:33 pm

mlawrenson wrote:[

Booths had it for £15, all gone though, as far as I know.

The Licensed Manager at the one I work at was reduced to phoning other stores to see if they had any more for a customer who thought it was the best whisky he'd ever had.


I suppose it would be interesting to know what other whiskies this customer had previously tried to understand why this would be the best he's ever had.

User avatar
mlawrenson
New member
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:02 am

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby mlawrenson » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:41 pm

Charlie wrote:
mlawrenson wrote:[

Booths had it for £15, all gone though, as far as I know.

The Licensed Manager at the one I work at was reduced to phoning other stores to see if they had any more for a customer who thought it was the best whisky he'd ever had.


I suppose it would be interesting to know what other whiskies this customer had previously tried to understand why this would be the best he's ever had.


Well, I'm having another dram of SoD 12 (appropriate?) now. I can't taste anything offensive about it. It just disappears halfway through. I'd much rather have this than Tobermory 10, but it's very far from the best I've ever had.

Kim
Silver Member
Posts: 393
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:10 pm

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby Kim » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:22 pm

Of the 30 or so whiskies I've had off the supermarket shelves I think The Singleton of Dufftown was one of the most enjoyable.

sinclair
Bronze Member
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:53 pm

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby sinclair » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:15 pm

Really??!?!!? Why?.Had this at a friends the other night and it came bottom losing to The Real Mackenzie blended and Tullamore Dew , and none of these are great.(my friend only buys cheap whisky as you can tell)

NeFe
New member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:14 pm

Re: Supermarket Deals

Postby NeFe » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:22 pm

Hi
This is my first post.
Yesterday I tried "Black Bottle" after finding it on offer in Sainsburys. Was looking for cheaper drinking alternatives and "Black Bottle" is my first blend, apart from drinking a friend's grouse many years ago.
Quite light, killed stone dead by eggcustard tarts (what a wuss), but goes well with raspberry turnovers. Pleasant, light, with a hint of sweetness and a bit of a last minute burn. Nothing to dislike, but perhaps would disappoint if you were expecting more Islay. Rather more subtlety than I was expecting - needs further experimentation!
Cost £12+ something from Sainsburys or £12.99 on Whisky Exchange.
__________
NeFe


Return to “Whisky Chat”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests