Drrich1965 wrote:Back stateside

Good to have you back, Rich.

Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:25 am

shoganai wrote:
Drrich1965 wrote:Back stateside

Good to have you back, Rich.

Good to be back. While I was glad to be there, it is nice to be home with a nice dram, my family asleep down stairs. Oh, initial tasting notes on the Tomintoul.

Score 85 Tomintoul 1981 25yo (43%, D and M) September 9, 2007. I opened this one up before my trip to Costa Rica, so it has had a week to breath. Nose: Slightly bourbony. Vanilla, oak and oak spices. Honey, it hint of smoke. Mouth: Very balanced and assertive. Dry oak, that gives way to warm peat, and then a sweet honey in the middle. Very nice. Even a touch of maltiness. Finish: Warm, a bit peaty. A more patient tasting will be in order, but this is very good stuff.

S_tan_De_mon
Silver Member

What I'm drinking tonight...

Postby S_tan_De_mon » Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:17 am

Hello all:

Tonight, a little celebration. Decided to do a few OB Springbanks:CV, 1997 1st Batch, 15 yr, 25 yr dumpy bottle parchment label gold wax, and 35 yr Ltd. Edition. A totally enjoyable dramming sequence. Even celebrations can have a bit of a downside... that was the last of the bottle of the Ltd. Edition and the 25 yr is getting perilously low. On the up side though, there are always more milestones to attain and more bottles to be opened and drained.

Slainte!

S'tan

shoganai
Silver Member

Re: What I'm drinking tonight...

Postby shoganai » Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:28 am

S_tan_De_mon wrote:Hello all:

Tonight, a little celebration. Decided to do a few OB Springbanks:CV, 1997 1st Batch, 15 yr, 25 yr dumpy bottle parchment label gold wax, and 35 yr Ltd. Edition. A totally enjoyable dramming sequence. Even celebrations can have a bit of a downside... that was the last of the bottle of the Ltd. Edition and the 25 yr is getting perilously low. On the up side though, there are always more milestones to attain and more bottles to be opened and drained.

Slainte!

S'tan

As long as the bottle was truly enjoyed, there is nothing to be sad about.

'tis better to be drank and enjoyed than never to be drank at all.

killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:59 am

I started with Bells blend, I needed to try it so picked up a 375ml (smallest avail. to me)

Bells, blend, 40%

colour: med-dark honey.
nose: gentle fruit basket, apples to the forefront, some malt, grain, caramel, light, pleasant.
palate/mouthfeel: sweet, some grain bite.
finish: sweet fruit, caramel, grain bite, some malt, decent tongue buzz, some wood on the end, short-medium finish.

notes: decent blend, drinkable neat though with a grain bite, flavours are average in intensity though enough to interest. Caramel comes through. With water, grain softens, overall sweet with a fruity caramel taste. For the price it's okay & in a pinch I'd drink it. Not a favorite but not the worst I've tried.

then moved on to a dram of Springbank 10...... yum.

Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:19 am

Just finished a small (1oz) dram of 20yr Brora (Rare Malts) with 1/4oz water. Not bad. Have been trying to get that magic ratio of water-whisky for this expresssion. This isn't bad. Kinda reminds me of a softer Talisker 10.

killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:49 am

Laga 12, 2005
wow, this malt is huge...... unless you are prepared for the impact, it'll rip your face clean off :shock:
this is a BIG whisky..... with water it still has a huge peat impact, yummy Laga flavour, though it's not one to triffle with, be prepared and enjoy. :thumbsup:

hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:44 pm

Wendy wrote:
hpulley wrote:Then a small sample of the 9yo Bunnahabhain Signatory peated sherry casked 59.1%. Again, amazingly different. Just 9yo but very woody already yet with an interesting peaty note, very smoky in the palate and finish now. Still doesn't seem balanced but an interesting scotch.
Harry

Hi Harry,
It sounds like you have had a fun night. You are certainly a few hours and a few drams ahead of me! By your description of the 9 yo Bunnahabhain Signatory peated sherry casked 59.1%, it sounds like the sherry influence has been dominated by the peat and smoke. Would that be a fair criticism? Did you experiment by adding a drop of water to see if it's character changed at all? I am looking forward to trying a wee sample of this, for research purposes, of course. :)
Wendy

It was fun tasting them though the first two pours were too large so I was not at my best by the end (and a tiny bit of headache this morning, sherry casked malts do that, as does having 5 drams in a sitting).

Hmm, I don't know if the sherry dominates the peat and smoke in the 9yo Bunny. The peat smoke is pretty strong too. It's just that it doesn't hang together as well as I'd like. Most of the others (other than the bitter Young Oogie) seem a bit more balanced and married. In the Bunny there is sherry, oak and peat but they kind of sit by themselves compared to some of the others where it blends together. I might try an experimental vatting with the 12yo Bunnahabhain.

Yes, I've had it with water before but last night was neat only. With water you can actually find some Bunnahabhain under all the sherry and peat but usually I'm afraid of adding water to highly sherried drams; it can have disasterous consequences.

I'll have to pour you a dram of it soon.

Harry

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:37 pm

hpulley wrote:
Wendy wrote:
hpulley wrote:Just 9yo but very woody already yet with an interesting peaty note, very smoky in the palate and finish now. Still doesn't seem balanced but an interesting scotch.

...By your description of the 9 yo Bunnahabhain Signatory peated sherry casked 59.1%, it sounds like the sherry influence has been dominated by the peat and smoke.

Hmm, I don't know if the sherry dominates the peat and smoke in the 9yo Bunny. The peat smoke is pretty strong too. It's just that it doesn't hang together as well as I'd like.

Mr Picky hates to stick his nose into other people's conversations (or at least would like you to think he does), but I think you two are misunderstanding each other. Nevertheless, I think you have answered the question, Harry.

Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:11 pm

In my glass right now is the Caol Ila Distillers Edition. This is really really good. The distillery character is easily recognisable although the smoke is more subdued than in the 12. The lovely oiliness is still present. It feels like the smoke and the sweetness from the moscatel are perfectly integrated into one scent or taste. It's definately the sweetest whisky I've tasted so far - but it's not too much! Already looking forward to the next glass of this.

Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:15 am

Score 86 Clynelish 14yo (43%, OB, circa. 2007) September 8th, 2006. A special malt, as this will be my 300 tasting note for single malts (more counting other whiskies). I just spent five days with this one, as my duty free pick up to drink while in Costa Rica. I brought back a flask and a mini bottle worth, and so this will be my official tasting of it. During the week, I was shocked at how excellent it is, especially since the last one I had a few years ago was not very good. A bad batch? Perhaps. Nose: Complex. bourbony, malt, toffee. Lots of spices. A hint of malt cereal underneath. Some eucalyptus, which I frequently find in Lagavulin. Just outstanding. Mouth: Very congruent with the nose. Wonderfully complex, with all the above mentioned elements. Highlight of the spices, slightly hot, maybe some white pepper or lemon grass. I can imagine this going well with curry. Finish: Long, spicy and powerful. A hint of peat and dryness at the end. I am so glad that this is so much better than the last time I tired the 14, as I have really enjoyed the five or six other expressions of the malt. This one is rich, smooth yet challenging at the same time. The only weakness, the mouth feel is a bit thin.

Oliver
Silver Member

Postby Oliver » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:08 am

Nice post, Rich.

I had a blind tasting session organized by my lovely and charming wife. Here are my notes:

Mystery Malt # 1:

Nose: Islay flavours and sherry. Sweet and Islay, or tar, soot and red fruits. A hell of a combo.
Great mouthfeel. Great interplay of sweetness and Islay tanginess, though perhaps the two end up cancelling eachother out, or is a match made in heaven, where each influence compliments the other?
Finish: sweet and long. Sweet lemons with a hint of white pepper.
A real pleasant experience.....

I had a hard time figuring it out hesitating between the sweet Laphroaig Quarter Cask and the mixed up Caol Ila Distillers Edition. I got it wrong.... It was the Caol Ila DE finished in Moscatel.
An extremely pleasant malt. For Caol Ila (unlike Bowmore) cask finishes work (at least this one did). 89.

Next up, Mystery Malt # 2:

Nose: "delicious" smoky and intensly sweet. Red fruits. Juicy. Marzipan. Amaretto. The mouth fell was a little light, but the palate almost delivered on the olfactory promises: sweetness less defined (apples, butter, caramel) & a hint of peat and smoke. The peat reappeared in the finish with a tinge of sweetness.
Instead of saying that the flavours get more and more muted, lets put it this way: "it goes down well." 84.

I had not idea what this was. But what a great nose! ........................................turns out it was my distant relatives "100% blended Malt Scotch Whisky." This explains the Islay and Speyside flavours taking turns.....
Matthew Gloag's Famous Grouse 18 years old Malt Whisky Blend.

A great dram, which used to be called a vatted malt.... But that was a long, long time ago..... ;-)

hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:02 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:
hpulley wrote:
Wendy wrote:[quote="hpulley"]Just 9yo but very woody already yet with an interesting peaty note, very smoky in the palate and finish now. Still doesn't seem balanced but an interesting scotch.

...By your description of the 9 yo Bunnahabhain Signatory peated sherry casked 59.1%, it sounds like the sherry influence has been dominated by the peat and smoke.

Hmm, I don't know if the sherry dominates the peat and smoke in the 9yo Bunny. The peat smoke is pretty strong too. It's just that it doesn't hang together as well as I'd like.

Mr Picky hates to stick his nose into other people's conversations (or at least would like you to think he does), but I think you two are misunderstanding each other. Nevertheless, I think you have answered the question, Harry.[/quote]

I'm actually a bit disappointed that Mr Picky dominated Mr TH: No jokes about domination! Thanks for pointing it out.

It appears that I misread Wendy's comment (Sorry!) but I stand by my statement that the only thing dominated in that dram is the original distillery character (well, there's a little left).

Harry

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:03 am

hpulley wrote:I'm actually a bit disappointed that Mr Picky dominated Mr TH: No jokes about domination!

Not with Wendy in the room....

killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:50 am

Have a Springbank 10 beside my comp. I'll have an Ardbeg Oogie later I think. :thumbsup:

les taylor

Postby les taylor » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:32 am

It's 8 o'clock sunday morning so it's a big mug of expresso coffee, black and no sugar just how God intended it to be.

:)

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:39 am

I also only seem to get in here during mornings these days, so once again it's time for an Earl Grey.
(Large mug, no milk, no sugar)

Unlike Les, I don't drink coffee.
MT

Mr Fjeld

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:44 pm

Nøgne Ø Wit. A wonderful belgian style wheat beer. Creates an illusion of ongoing summer in this very autumn-like weather.

Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Wendy » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:34 pm

hpulley wrote:
MrTattieHeid wrote:
hpulley wrote:[quote="Wendy"][quote="hpulley"]Just 9yo but very woody already yet with an interesting peaty note, very smoky in the palate and finish now. Still doesn't seem balanced but an interesting scotch.

Mr Picky hates to stick his nose into other people's conversations (or at least would like you to think he does), but I think you two are misunderstanding each other. Nevertheless, I think you have answered the question, Harry.[/quote]

I'm actually a bit disappointed that Mr Picky dominated Mr TH: No jokes about domination! Thanks for pointing it out.

It appears that I misread Wendy's comment (Sorry!) but I stand by my statement that the only thing dominated in that dram is the original distillery character (well, there's a little left).

Harry[/quote]

No problem, Harry. Even though you misunderstood who I thought was dominating who (Sherry vs Peat), you did an excellent job of answering my question. Mr. TH if you ever get the chance to join us (harry, frodo et moi) at one of our tasting sessions, Mr. Picky will have to stay home!!

cheers,
Wendy

Wow...what a quote labyrinth!

Dubois

Postby Dubois » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:35 pm

Glenfarclas 21 Yrs.

Fabulous...

netgio

Postby netgio » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:07 pm

Intersting combination tonight... Started with an Ardbeg Almost There with a drop of chilled water. This went down really well - water seemed to make it extra smokey while taking some of the CS burn away...yumm.

Decided to follow it with something "down market" rather than wasting something from the top shelf .... Black Bottle NAS. As it happens this worked really well - I'm enjoying the BB much more than I ever have as an opener.

All in all a greatly little Islay pairing...

Cheers!

les taylor

Postby les taylor » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:31 pm

We've visited Dalmore 12 ob. Yamazaki 18, & Glenlivet Nadurra. Preceeding that was roast chicken stuffed with oranges and lemons to keep it moist, roasted on a doorstep of tiger bread which when finished off in the oven whilst the chicken rests before carving is fabulous. Along with steamed Cabbage( yum Yum the greener the better,)

Now wait for it along with Jamie Oliver's new version of roast potatoes. They are fab. You Par boil the spuds and parsnips meanwhile put a dish in the oven with a third of a packet of butter to melt add a bit of olive oil. Whilst foaming add a load of fresh rosemary leaves and bay leaves. Chuck in the spuds and parsnips, we added some chunks of carrot and sweet potato then half a dozen cloves of crushed garlic, a few pinches of crystal sea salt. Also a couple of red onions halved and the quartered. Now wait for it a half a bottle of balsamic vinegar poured over the top of everything. About every 15 mins toss the whole lot. After about an hour or so all the liquid has evaporated. Man alive they are the best roast vegatables you have ever had.

Don't forget to make great gravy by reducing some good quality wine.

We do love roast dinners on a sunday in autumn and winter.

:thumbsup:

Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:41 pm

Dubois wrote:Glenfarclas 21 Yrs.

Fabulous...

Yes, fabulous indeed, had a wee one the other night, very good.
I'm enjoying a SMWS Caol Ila, just the right thing for all this RAIN!!!!!

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:10 am

Poured some Balvenie NewWood into a four-ounce sample bottle, and found just enough left over for a "see ya later" dram. Earlier did the same with Signatory CS Brora '81/24, filling a 4 oz and a 2 oz, with a nice dram left. Probably should have drunk them in the opposite order, but my policy lately is best dram first, to be sure I get the most from it.

Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:32 am

Wendy wrote:
hpulley wrote:
MrTattieHeid wrote:[quote="hpulley"][quote="Wendy"][quote="hpulley"]Just 9yo but very woody already yet with an interesting peaty note, very smoky in the palate and finish now. Still doesn't seem balanced but an interesting scotch.

Harry[/quote]

No problem, Harry. Even though you misunderstood who I thought was dominating who (Sherry vs Peat), you did an excellent job of answering my question. Mr. TH if you ever get the chance to join us (harry, frodo et moi) at one of our tasting sessions, Mr. Picky will have to stay home!!

cheers,
Wendy

Wow...what a quote labyrinth![/quote]

Actually, I'd like to see Mr. Picky dead drunk!!!

killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:49 am

had a dram of Johnnie Walker Swing, not bad at all, now I am having Lagavulin 16..... :thumbsup:

killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:47 am

moved on to a dram of Ardbeg Uigeadail, lovely malt :thumbsup:
this is big and yummy without & with water :)

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:33 pm

Frodo wrote:Actually, I'd like to see Mr. Picky dead drunk!!!

There are many who share your sentiment, Frodo. Well, half of it, anyway!

Dubois

Postby Dubois » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:24 pm

Glenrothes 1989.

IainB
Gold Member

Postby IainB » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:20 pm

Right now, unfortunatley nothing, as I'm at work. (Though clearly not actually working.) This is quite frustrating as sitting across from me are six bottles that arrived today.

Mr Fjeld

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:05 pm

Enjoying the last of the Trois Rivieres 1996. It is great and I'm looking forward to opening another bottle of Rhum Agricole.

Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby Ardbeg311 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:13 pm

Lagavulin 12yo (2004). This bottle went down way too quickly. Kudos to Lagavulin and Diageo for producing an exceptional whisky. Fortunately, I have two in reserve. :)

Dubois

Postby Dubois » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:03 pm

Dalwhinnie 15 Yrs.

One of my first "whisky-loves".

Mr Fjeld

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:33 pm

Oban 14 - quite good and certainly worth more positive comments than it usually receives.

Even better is the Caol Ila DE I just poured into my glass. Will sit back and enjoy this while watching High Noon.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:22 pm

Another Bowmore Legend hot toddy.

It's warm, comforting but not exactly good when it comes to whisky tasting.

But I dare say I will sleep well tonight.
MT

Return to “Whisky Chat”