What is your most recent (whisky) purchase.

General chat and talk about whisky.
K-Mile
Gold Member

Re: What is your most recent (whisky) purchase.

Postby K-Mile » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:17 pm

Just went shopping for the Glenlivet tasting, found myself a Nadurra 16yo Cask Strength for a reasonable price (+/- 40 euro's), batch 0606A, bottled in June '06 at 57.2 ABV.

Also found a A'bunadh batch #8 hiding in a corner, so I got that as well. They only had the box for a batch #19 for it, and the lady who I asked which batches they had looked really surprised, never knowing that there are batches of the malt. She'd always just grab a bottle from the back, put it in the box the customer got from the shelves, and hand it over :)

What a great day, four great new whiskies :mrgreen:

les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:15 pm

K-Mile wrote:Just went shopping for the Glenlivet tasting, found myself a Nadurra 16yo Cask Strength for a reasonable price (+/- 40 euro's), batch 0606A, bottled in June '06 at 57.2 ABV.

Also found a A'bunadh batch #8 hiding in a corner, so I got that as well. They only had the box for a batch #19 for it, and the lady who I asked which batches they had looked really surprised, never knowing that there are batches of the malt. She'd always just grab a bottle from the back, put it in the box the customer got from the shelves, and hand it over :)

What a great day, four great new whiskies :mrgreen:

Hey K-Mile you're catching up fast :thumbsup:

I spoke to the the head of wines and spirits in my local Tesco today. Didn't have a clue and admitted it. I had to spell Glenmorangie for her. :headbang: What chance have you got.

K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:09 pm

les taylor wrote:Hey K-Mile you're catching up fast :thumbsup:

I spoke to the the head of wines and spirits in my local Tesco today. Didn't have a clue and admitted it. I had to spell Glenmorangie for her. :headbang: What chance have you got.

I guess my wallet needs some catching up to do as well :)

The shop I was is a dedicated liquor store. I assume Tesco is more like a supermarket? Still, the head of the department should know some basic stuff.

But I think we cannot expect from anyone except at a specialized whisky store to know what A'bunadh batches are OK ;)

Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:35 pm

...and the blokes on this forum. Get your info HERE, then step out into the jungle of ignorance, and catch what you can!

Neighbour dropped by tonight. We opened the Quinta Ruban,. rich, or what? lovely.

ditto the quarter bottle of F@F Dailluaine 16 he brought over, which we polished off...mmmmm!

WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby WestVanDave » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:00 am

I was in Boston this week for a conference and picked up a couple of bottles. I was supposed to arrive on Saturday night - but missed my connecting flight and had to stay in Toronto - but too late to detour over to the Whisky Live event. Boo hoo.

I was also too late to then meet up with Jimmy Robertson of Morrison Bowmore the next day in Boston...more boo hooing - but Jimmy will be paying us a visit next month for a Tasting Event in Vancouver on November 12th... :D 8)

While in Boston I had heard great things about a tiny whole-in-the-wall shop: Federal Wines & Spirits and a guy called Joe... (thanks for the recommendation Mr. T.)

I left some time in my afternoon on Tuesday and called "Joe" to make sure he'd be in...and to get directions, etc. Followed the directions (caught the "T" and walked the 20 steps out of the State Street subway station into this shop).

Joe greeted me with the news that Jim McEwen would be there on Thursday for two tastings - followed by a Masterclass at a nearby hotel - limited to 45 attendees - all of whom walking away with a bottle signed by Jim... On the menu:

125th Anniversary Edition Bruichladdich (35 year old Zind Humbrecht wine cask)

Bruichladdiich 40 year old. (Only 550 bottles made - priced at $2500 each)

And 4 other "surprises"...

Tickets are $175 each.

Hurt as I was to realize that I would be flying home on Wednesday and missing all of this Bruichladdich fun... Joe let me know that they have over 200 bottles open for sampling in the store!!!

While no cure for the Bruichladdich Blues - Joe started me on a 25 year old Ardbeg Spirit of Scotland G & M bottling, followed up with a 30 year old Black Adder Orcadian, then another 50 year old Gordon & MacPhail bottling (I'll have to call Joe to recall from which distillery) - then a Macallan 1972 (34 year old) - a Hazelburn 8 (for contrast) then a Lagavulin CS 21 year old and finally a Hart Brothers 29 year old bottling of a Glen Grant - Sherry Cask 53.6%. (One I had already selected to buy)... The tasting reaffirmed that decision. Jim Murray gave it a 96 score in the '06 Bible (but was dropped from the '07 Bible).

To quote Jim: "If only my sex life was this good. Possibly one of the top twenty whiskies I have ever tasted: certainly one of the greatest moments in my (not inconsiderable) whisky life. If you can find it, life will take on a slightly different dimension...". Well I found it.

Having blown the budget (and customs limit) on the Glen Grant ($175) I picked up an Oak Cross as my second bottle ($40)...

All in all a great tasting experience and some great chatter about the world of whisky... I would give Federal Wine & Spirits and Joe Howell full marks for enthusiasm. Add the ability to taste such a quality range puts it over the top... They cram more into <1000 square feet than I could ever imagine.

Make sure Federal is on your list of places to visit next time you're in Boston... (and go Red Sox).

Cheers, Dave.

K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:44 am

Sounds like a great shop WVD, definitely worth a visit..

I got that bottle of Glen Grant for my brothers birthday (he's from 1972 as well), so I'm glad to hear that you liked it. It was a bit of a long shot :)

I got two more Glenlivets yesterday, the 12 and the 18, both 1 litre bottles. I should be all set for the Glenlivet tasting now...

bond
Gold Member

Postby bond » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:34 am

I have picked up 2 bottles of J W Black. HAve had lots of visitors recently who prefer to drink blends only

Jobi
Gold Member

Postby Jobi » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:44 pm

I was surprised to find a Port Ellen 7th in a store here, so I picked it up. After all, it's only (a lot of) money. I've only had the 6th release before, but thought that it was a really great whisky.

Also surprised to see a PC6. What are the thoughts on the PC releases?

K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:29 pm

:oops:

There is a Glenlivet 21yo 'Archive', and the Bowmore 16yo 1991 'Port Matured' on their way from RMW... I guess I couldn't resist it after all ;)

K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:31 pm

Jobi wrote:Also surprised to see a PC6. What are the thoughts on the PC releases?

This has just recently been discussed here: http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopi ... +charlotte

pmullin
Bronze Member

Postby pmullin » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:41 pm

Restocked on a couple bottles that are not consistently available around here: Woodford Reserve and Benromach Organic.

rugbyfreak

Postby rugbyfreak » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:47 pm

The last bottle purchased was a Laphroaig 10 year old Original Cask Strength what a great whiskey. I will be buying another for sure.

jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:32 pm

Nice haul today:

Laphroaig 30yo ($200US)
Glenlivet 16yo Nadurra C/S ($59US)
Glenmorangie 12yo Sherry Wood, on sale ($45US)
Elijah Craig 18yo Single Barrel Bourbon ($38US)

Anxious to try the Laphroaig the rest are replacements.

K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:42 am

rugbyfreak wrote:The last bottle purchased was a Laphroaig 10 year old Original Cask Strength what a great whiskey. I will be buying another for sure.

Welcome rugbyfreak! I'm sure there will be plenty of posts in The Bar that suit your nickname ;)

Good to hear you liked the Laph 10 CS, haven't tried it myself yet, but there are lots here who share that opinion.

clicker7
Silver Member

Postby clicker7 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:20 am

Hi All:

Picked up 2 more bottles of Aberlour 16 Double Cask-- I love this expression!

Also grabbed another Macallan 12 for everyday drinking.

Cheers,
Joseph

SoMK
Gold Member

Postby SoMK » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:27 pm

Didn't buy a whisky for once... but a nice bottle of Chartreuse Verte always a good idea :mrgreen:

Oiler_Kiwi99
Bronze Member

Postby Oiler_Kiwi99 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:30 pm

Glenlivet 12yo @ Asda £18.99 and a bottle of Aberlour A'bunadh Batch 20 for "3.98 @ Costco

hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:04 pm

6 bottles of Bunnahabhain 12yo (2 18yo coming soon, probably Monday), and one each of Bruichladdich 3D3 and Yellow Submarine WMDII. All very good light (or medium in the case of 3D3) peated Islays. Just a hint of wine noticed in the finish of Yellow Submarine but otherwise very good. The first opened bottle of 12yo Bunny from this case is going like the last bottle, fast! It is a great sessional dram for sure.

Harry

matthew2512
Silver Member

Postby matthew2512 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:18 am

Yesterday I picked up a bottle of Glencadam 1989 17 year old from the Signatory Cask Strength range. Has anyone tried this one?
Attachments
Picture 1.png
Picture 1.png (417.83 KiB) Viewed 1797 times

les taylor

Postby les taylor » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:33 am

Sorry about double posting but I just had to share this with you all. Thanks to Matt & Duncan at TWE. :thumbsup:

Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:20 pm

Beautiful Les, beautiful!! Enjoy it!! Let us know if you open it, what you think.

MrIntrepid
Bronze Member

Postby MrIntrepid » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:04 pm

Following the advice of a couple of guys from the forum I picked up a bottle of Green Spot yesterday - tried it last night and can't recommend it enough a sublime honey malty whiskey :thumbsup: . I bought it from Arkwrights wines and whiskys in Highworth, Wiltshire - if anyone is in the area they should try and go.

The shop is a corner shop which sells milk and magazines etc. You would never know it from the outside but at the back they have around 550 whiskies and the owners are a fantastic very knowledgable couple who just love to chat about whisky - there are also loads of whiskies to taste in the back room, well worth visiting.

jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:41 pm

I got a Talisker 10yo at a bargain of $44US, a Glenlivet 12yo I intend on mixing a small amount to the 16yo Nadurra as an experiment as opposed to water to bring it down to about 48% abv. A couple Bourbons: Eagle Rare 10yo Single Barrel and two more Pappy Van Winkle 15yo, delicious stuff.

DramMeister
Silver Member

Postby DramMeister » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:02 pm

Sorry, not posted since July!!!
Moved house and have had trouble with the internet, laptop frying and generally being very short of time, plus my whisky collection is down to 8 bottles. (Obviously not including the Leddie NAS still unfinished at the back of the cupboard... but that's another story)...

Since July I've bought...

Speymalt By MacAllan 1996 G&M - super
Knockando 18 1988 - not super
Laga 16 - don't need to say
Ardbeg 10 - ditto
Aberlour 12 Double Matured - which I liked so much its gone.

les taylor

Postby les taylor » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:22 pm

Hi DramMeister good to see you back again. Looks like you'll be doing a bit more shopping. :)

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:52 am

Just put aside for me today, to be picked up Thursday:
THE BALVENIE NEW OAK 17 yo 750 mL @$ 129.95
(along with the Laphroaig 10 yo which is no longer on the website.) I'm also considering another Balvenie:
THE BALVENIE 15 yo SINGLE BARREL 750 mL@$ 105.95

Muskrat

judge

Postby judge » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:04 am

Knockando 1980 and Strathlisa 1968 after trying them at a Duncan Taylor tasting.

rthomson
Silver Member

Postby rthomson » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:38 am

I've just returned from my Scotland trip and I brought back a few bottles. In Banff I purchased the Port Ellen bottling by Parkers Whisky, the "Pert mEllon". We had planned to only briefly visit the store but Richard Parker's enthusiasm for everything whisky happily tempted us to linger for a while. He's proud of the Port Ellen bottling and from everything I've heard he has every right to be so. I also purchased a hand-fill bourbon cask at the Aberlour distillery. I've yet to open the hand-fill from last year's trip but that may happen this weekend. Ian Logan met us with his usual graciousness and entertaining conversation. The final bottle I brought home is an Old Malt Cask Macallan 17yo. I purchased that with the intention of presenting it as a gift to my brother but my less noble side is causing second thoughts on that idea.

Cheers,
Ron

Caltoken

Postby Caltoken » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:27 am

Rock Hill Farms Bourbon because of of comments on this web site

jruddy

Postby jruddy » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:22 pm

Two weeks ago - Balvenie 1993 Portwood

Just today - Ardbeg 10 - I was looking for the last bottle of Jura Superstition in town but couldn't find it so I "settled" for Ardbeg 10.
:thumbsup:

All mentioned were among the 12 or so :?: I tasted at Whisky Live Toronto.

peatreek

Postby peatreek » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:40 pm

Just bought a Connemara Single Malt Peated Whiskey, enough peat to make it interesting and an altogether pleasant whisk(e)y.

K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:41 pm

It was a good day yesterday. A Glenlivet 21yo 'Archive', Bowmore 16yo 1991, and SMWS 48.11 (Balmenach 18yo) arrived on the very same day! 8)

les taylor

Postby les taylor » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:45 pm

I decided I couldn't wait and picked up my allocation of Against the grain Dreaded Lurgie. A 16 yearold GlenBurgie. I got a free glass as well. Thankyou Suzy.

:thumbsup:

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:28 am

The last Lappy 10 yo in the province! :D
Enjoy your QC ...everyone else! :(
Musky
Also have a shot at a couple of Glenfiddich 21 yo Ancient Reserve (Rum finish) at $150.00 + each. As I still have a sealed one in the Lair, probably not.

Mr Fjeld

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:26 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote:The last Lappy 10 yo in the province! :D

Well done! Let's hope they change their mind so you'll be able to buy the excellent standard 10 in the future!

Today I bought the Glenlivet 15 French Oak which I hope I can bring to the tasting.........if it's going to happen the 16'th. Also bought two ales; Nøgne Ø Imperial Stout which is possibly the best ale/beer I've ever had, and the Samichlaus Bier which is a rather strong lager at 14% :shock:

Return to “Whisky Chat”