What did you drink last night?

General chat and talk about whisky.
killerwhale
Gold Member

Re: What did you drink last night?

Postby killerwhale » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:34 am

had Catto's (gentle blend) then a Yamazaki 18 (very nice),
need to go to the US as I think I am running out of blends to try here in BC!
:o

bond
Gold Member

Postby bond » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:27 am

Clynelish 14. The more i interact with this whisky, the more i fall in love with it...

zippy

Postby zippy » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:01 pm

Springbank 1997 - I finished off the bottle. I would like to replace it but I an not sure if it is still available.

bond
Gold Member

Postby bond » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:41 am

Glenlivet 12 yo.. polished off the bottle..normally have a spare bottle in stock but i have none.. so need a replacement soon

MrAwesome

Postby MrAwesome » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:45 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:Congratulations on your oldest sons' marriage. Explains why you've been missing at the live tastings, there was so much else good going on in your life!

How many more , dare I ask, have you got left to marry off?

Muskrat

Thank You so much for the congrats Muskrat! I've only got one more son- he's 17, to go. But, he has to get through college first. I did have an impromtu tasting with a few of our guests the day after the wedding, at my home. We did Laphroaig 10, 10cs, 15, QC, & 30. Of coarse, the QC & 30 were the top choices.

MrAwesome

Postby MrAwesome » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:51 am

Yellowjacket wrote:
MrAwesome wrote:Had oldest son's wedding yesterday. We started off with JW Blue one of the groomsmen brought. Then I supplied Lag.16, Ardbeg 10 & Uigeadial & Knob Creek . At the reception, they only had JW Black & Jack Daniels as far as scotch & 'bourbon' goes, so I brought my own. All had a great time & by the end of the party I had 9 new SM converts & 5 bourbon converts. The novelty of these whiskies caused a bit of curious attention but all on a positively festive note. Now the requests for a tasting event in the near future have started.

MrAwesome,
Congratulations and best wishes on your son's marriage! I know that you and your wife and family are very excited and happy! And you made new converts and and are working on [url]another[/url] tasting event! The best of fortune to you and your family!
Cheers - Bob

Thanks Bob! A great time was had by all. Now I can nail down those dates for upcoming Tasting Events. I'LL pass along the best wishes to my wife too. Cheers also, Jeff

zippy

Postby zippy » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:20 am

Aberlour A'bunadh (batch 20) - anyone got any comments on this one compared to previous batches? It seemed a tad flat tasting to me, though it was the first dram from the bottle.

jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:50 pm

Opened a Bushmills 16yo last night. Definitely a delicious dessert Whiskey. Anyone know how the 21yo compares? I may pick that one up tomorrow. Here's notes on the 16:

Bushmills 16yo Triple Wood Single Malt Irish Whiskey 40 abv

Bushmills
16 yo
Sugar cane, oak, dusty books, minerals, stony creek bed lightly spiced apple cider, vanilla, caramel, soft citrus note
Buttery sweet, cinnamon spice middle, Maraschino cherries, dry grass-herbal notes, some yellow fruit back notes, banana, cantaloupe, pineapple Body - Oily, firm, yet delicate
A hay ride through the country
A dessert malt if ever there was one. Such soft textures and subtle character, its kind of like youre floating on a cloud. With a splash of water. Theres flower garden aromas, taste is Juicy Fruit gum. Delicious. Quote- A pineapple upside down cake
Gold

16 Years Old
40%
-

-
Ireland
-
-
-
-

Please do not reproduce or copy this tasting note without permission.

Matt2

Postby Matt2 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:04 pm

I didn't get on with the 16, seemed a bit thin and metalic. But the 21 is excellent, didn't last long but the 16 is still sitting on the shelf. The 21 is fruitier and richer.

jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:12 pm

Matt Page wrote:I didn't get on with the 16, seemed a bit thin and metalic. But the 21 is excellent, didn't last long but the 16 is still sitting on the shelf. The 21 is fruitier and richer.

The 21 is fruitier and richer!

That seals it then. I'll pick up the 21yo tomorrow. Thanks, Matt.

I did get the "metallic" in the form of minerals (see notes), and I called it delicate, not "thin", so I can see how you got there, but the experience was very positive from a freshly open bottle for me. It may lose some after time.

biglads

Postby biglads » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:26 pm

I had a dram of Penderyn, followed by an Old Pulteney OB 12 y/o.

Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:06 pm

Ardbeg Ten from the newly acquired tax free liter bottle, second night in a row. It's either the mood that's not suitable, or perhaps the claim from Jim Murray it's much older stock then previous Ten year old bottlings, and thus is not quite as enjoyable as I expect. But it's now been just over 4 years since I fell in love with Ardbeg, and I've tasted lots of whisky in that time, so maybe it's just me!

Mr Fjeld

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:44 am

Yesterday evening's last dram was an El Dorado 15 while watching an episode of Silent Witness - both very nice in fact!

Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:29 pm

For the third night in a row, Ardbeg Ten. And still I'm not impressed and pleased with it. Lost is the soft seashell and sweet ocean and green seaweed I remember so well from this whisky when I first enjoyed it just over 4 years ago. Perhaps I've changed, as previously expressed, with the many other whiskies I've enjoyed since discovering this one, or perhaps it is old stock as Jim Murray professes. I do love old Ardbeg, that beautiful, sweet manure-like characteristic, but that isn't there either. Perhaps it's Ardbeg at an in between stage, just past it's prime of Ten, but still too young to be old? The bottle is marked with "L7..." so it's bottled this year. My faith will be restored next year with the new Ten year old I'm sure! Impressive thought about this 1 liter bottle is that out of the box, and with just a dram poured out of it, it still weighs in at an impressive 1.7 kilos!!

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:32 am

Mr Fjeld wrote:Yesterday evening's last dram was an El Dorado 15 ...
I just happen to have one of these sitting in my alternate lair (the rum/rhum one). A lovely dramming whisky, neat or with a hint of water. (Sounds familiar, eh?)
Musky

peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:36 am

Huge tasting session last night at MikeyMad's place. In addition to the Macallan and the Springbank that I shared, we had drams of the following (as much as I can remember):

Glenlossie 27yo for D&M Liquors: Gorgeous, smooth, very very very nice.

Springbank new make: Very interesting and different. Springbank has made a lot of changes. Let's hope they can reclaim their status.

Campbeltown Loch 25yo: Oh, my my, so very tasty. Great blend.

Springbank C.V.: Value pick of the night. I know there are quite a few of these around for good prices. Beautiful sherry considering it's not 100%.

Springbank 11yo SMWS: see previous notes.

Springbank 40yo: Gorgeous as expected. Burned an impression in my brain. Unforgettable.

1989 Mouton Rothschild (preserved sample): What a nose. I'll have to look out for this one.

1963 Vintage Port - I forgot the house (preserved sample): So long and gorgeous. Nose has raisins and dates, palate has intense red fruit, finishes with a bit of smoke. Really nice.

Macallan 16yo SMWS: See previous notes.

Macallan 18yo vintage 1978: Wow, wow, wow. Beautiful sherry, classic Macallan maltiness, lemon-lime notes, pralines. Best 18yo I've had to date. Gorgeous.

I forgot what we had next, but I was not all that lucid at that point. What a night.

Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Lawrence » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:59 pm

Longmorn 1973 from G&M, very dark from a 1st fill sherry butt, stunning stuff.

Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:37 pm

Lawrence wrote:Longmorn 1973 from G&M, very dark from a 1st fill sherry butt, stunning stuff.

Wow, saw that bottle at La Maison du Whisky, couldn't afford it, but looked great and I'm sure tastes even better! Enjoy it Lawrence!

Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Lawrence » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:45 pm

Di Blasi wrote:
Lawrence wrote:Longmorn 1973 from G&M, very dark from a 1st fill sherry butt, stunning stuff.

Wow, saw that bottle at La Maison du Whisky, couldn't afford it, but looked great and I'm sure tastes even better! Enjoy it Lawrence!

Hi, I think that was Cask #3950 and my bottle is Cask #3949...............it wasn't that much money, about $190.

Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:04 am

Lawrence wrote:
Di Blasi wrote:

Hi, I think that was Cask #3950 and my bottle is Cask #3949...............it wasn't that much money, about $190.

True, not that expensive, but my budget was low when I was visiting, and I picked up a few other bottles rather than opting for just the 1. Maybe next time! Glad to hear it's so good, figured it would be, I really do love Longmorn!

Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Lawrence » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:46 am

Wow, saw that bottle at La Maison du Whisky, couldn't afford it, but looked great and I'm sure tastes even better! Enjoy it Lawrence![/quote]

Hi, I think that was Cask #3950 and my bottle is Cask #3949...............it wasn't that much money, about $190.[/quote]

True, not that expensive, but my budget was low when I was visiting, and I picked up a few other bottles rather than opting for just the 1. Maybe next time! Glad to hear it's so good, figured it would be, I really do love Longmorn![/quote]

Right! I like Longmorn also, it's a great dram. I stocked up on a few of the 15yo before it vanishes.

Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:04 am

Yes, I need to stock up on the 15y for the future, great stuff!

Knolly
Silver Member

Postby Knolly » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:41 am

Lawrence! You cracked it?!!! I haven't opened mine yet (way too many open bottles going on right now). I'm thinking about getting a second one of these though, just to have as a "back up"!

Anyway, last night's drinking involved:

BenRiach 16 yr first
Bruichladdich 3D Moine Mhor second

Tonight's drink is L..... - oops wrong thread!

:)

Cheers!

Noel

Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Lawrence » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:48 am

Knolly wrote:

Lawrence! You cracked it?!!! I haven't opened mine yet (way too many open bottles going on right now). I'm thinking about getting a second one of these though, just to have as a "back up"!

Anyway, last night's drinking involved:

BenRiach 16 yr first
Bruichladdich 3D Moine Mhor second

Tonight's drink is L..... - oops wrong thread!

Cheers!

Noel

Cracked it? It's almost gone.....friends came over.....but I have a back up.

Knolly
Silver Member

Postby Knolly » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:05 am

peergynt323 wrote:
1989 Mouton Rothschild (preserved sample): What a nose. I'll have to look out for this one.

The French wine club that my wife and I belong to did a 1990 Bordeaux tasting this past summer, with bottles from eight different producers.

The club had bought all the bottles back in around 1992 or 1993 and laid them down until this summer. The tasting was blind, but no one had a problem picking out the Mouton Rothschild from the samples. I'm a total wine novice (she's heavily into wine) and even I knew that there was something special with that one particular sample. i wouldn't even want to GUESS what that bottle would cost to buy today (just checked it out - not as much I would have thought - only about $400 :P

Next summer, they're doing the 1998s that they bought and laid down around 1990 / 1991. Pretty cool. We are so fortunate to have people who's interests and dedication are so strong that they go beyond the call of duty and organize these types of events. I mean, it's pretty amazing that a club buys these bottles for 20 years in the future. Awesome!

jruddy

Postby jruddy » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:49 pm

Forty Creek Barrel Select
Easily the best 'standard' Canadian I've tasted.
:P

Dubois

Postby Dubois » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:36 pm

Glenfiddich 12 Yrs, Special Reserve.

Not earthmoving,but a decent every-days-dram.

Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:57 pm

Nikka From The Barrel, always good, and just a wee wee dram.

Les Paul
Bronze Member

Postby Les Paul » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:18 am

macallan 25!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

for the 1st time!!!!!

unbelievably good. remarkable.

Dubois

Postby Dubois » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:59 am

An exceptional whisky for a exceptional celebration:
Ardbeg 17 Yrs.

Mr Fjeld

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:02 am

Dubois wrote:An exceptional whisky for a exceptional celebration:
Ardbeg 17 Yrs.

Sounds good Dubois - what's the occasion?

les taylor

Postby les taylor » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:36 am

Lagavulin 16. I've not had this for a while as my palate is definetly in Speyside at the moment. But this was good you need a couple of sips to get dialled in to the power. Very pleasant.

Mr Fjeld

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:33 am

Had an incredibly busy evening at work yesterday so it was perfect to sit down in with good company in the bar and have a few whiskies: Glenfarclas 105, strong dry and oxidised sherry character/amontillado style, very intense in the mouth and a big malty and gristy finish. Next up was the Ardbeg Almost There which was another first - and just as lovely as I expected it to be. Still chocolaty as found in the Very Young but more complex with more going on. I'll have to try this one at home soon. Really looking forward to next year's new Ten! Last whisky of the night was Glenmorangie Burgundy which was very interesting. It was very creamy and maybe a little inoffensive. Good but strange.

Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Lawrence » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:00 pm

A bit of this and a bit of that but the surprise was Black Bottle 10yo;it is very good.

Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:39 pm

Finally enjoyed the Ardbeg Ten again! I wasn't enjoying it as much as I'd expect, or used to from this new bottle, but now it's coming around, or maybe it's me. Very complex, lots of flavors and characteristics moving around to explore and enjoy.

Return to “Whisky Chat”