What did you drink last night?

General chat and talk about whisky.
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Re: What did you drink last night?

Postby Sherried Malt » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:28 am

2 oz. is pretty typical, but I know this hotel in SF where the bartender pours with an increasingly heavier hand over the course of my stay... :D

les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:34 am

My taste of late has been for Speyside. However last night we went back to Islay. We had 2 drams. Whilst watching a recording of last night's Autumnwatch. Ivan won this year's tournament on the rutting greens.

First the Ardbeg Nam Bheist. It has a lovely honeyed edge to it. And then Almost There. Very pleasant indeed.

:)

jruddy

Postby jruddy » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:05 pm

Isle of Jura 10yo - it was the last bottle in town so I had to buy it... :wink:

I'll need a few more tastings to wrap my head around this one... it has quite an oily palate, a little sweet, a bit of peat but the nose completely eludes me...

My wife thought it was quite smooth.

I prefer superstition but this is still a nice one.

jruddy

Postby jruddy » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:09 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote:He was surprised, but did comply when I specified "...neat with water on the side".

Ha! I had to explain what neat meant to a waiter,who then came back to tell me the bartender hadn't heard of the term either... :roll:

The only scotch they had was Bells so you can see it was a quality establishment. It tasted watered down, but that may just have been because it was a standard blend.

Les Paul
Bronze Member

Postby Les Paul » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:28 pm

Macallan Fine Oak 15

.......that's right, I said it. Fine Oak, son. It was very good, I thought. 8)

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:40 am

jruddy wrote:Isle of Jura 10yo - it was the last bottle in town so I had to buy it... :wink: ....

jruddy: Which one did you get, the older orange box or the new packaging? I assume the older version if it was the last one in town.
It's a very enjoyable dram I find.
Muskrat

Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:56 pm

Mikeymad, just noticed your birthday celebration. Excellent plan. Especially nice touch with the Mortlach... Brilliant.

Happy belated birthday. :thumbsup:

Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:02 pm

Les Paul wrote:Macallan Fine Oak 15

That's it! I'm rousing the locals. We're bringing out the pitchforks and torches!! :D

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:20 am

Sherried Malt wrote:

That's it! I'm rousing the locals. We're bringing out the pitchforks and torches!! :D

It's a bit of a way to Ohio, what with Pennsylvania being in the way and all, d'ya think the locals can hold their mad that long?
Muskrat

les taylor

Postby les taylor » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:39 am

I opened up the Ardmore quarter cask. Then followed it with a Laga 16. I was to tired to taste it properly. It was just for drinking purposes. Sitting in front of the log fire with the telly on.

Jan_M

Postby Jan_M » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:46 pm

Enjoyed a dram of Ardbeg 10yo while watching a replay of TopGear.
Perfect combination and a nice closing for the evening.

Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:54 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote:
Sherried Malt wrote:

It's a bit of a way to Ohio, what with Pennsylvania being in the way and all, d'ya think the locals can hold their mad that long?
Muskrat

Hmm, that does seem like a pretty long walk... Especially this time of year.

Ok, Les, let's pick this up again in April or May. :P

Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:08 pm

I was at a dinner celebrating the third anniversary of a guy's 40th birthday. (Nice way to put it, I think...) We had some Billecart Salmon rose, a 1990 Chave Hermitage and a 1997 Harlan. For dessert, we had a 1986 Ch. D'Yquem. :thumbsup:

We never got to the single malts... :P

Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:13 pm

Sherried Malt wrote:
Muskrat Portage wrote:It's a bit of a way to Ohio, what with Pennsylvania being in the way and all, d'ya think the locals can hold their mad that long?
Muskrat

Musky, how much closer do you think Ohio will be by then? :lol:

Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:24 pm

I had an Edradour Straight From The Cask 10y, very good, took water very well, and helped the panel I had to paint white in the kitchen.

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:16 am

Sherried Malt wrote:
Sherried Malt wrote:
Muskrat Portage wrote:It's a bit of a way to Ohio, what with Pennsylvania being in the way and all, d'ya think the locals can hold their mad that long?
Muskrat
Musky, how much closer do you think Ohio will be by then? :lol:
...based on Continental drift? Being as the North America plate is moving west and Westford is moving <10 mm/year NW, while Platteville is moving >10 mm/year SW... Probably about a millimetre or so further away. Also taking into account, that the earth is cold at present, it being winter, by summer with the warmth of the sun it may be 2 millimeters. Best to start now while the distance is shorter.
Muskrat

Jobi
Gold Member

Postby Jobi » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:24 pm

Finished off a bottle of Midleton VR 2006. And I just saw the 2007 in a local shop...

les taylor

Postby les taylor » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:23 pm

After dinner Talisker DE 1992 followed by a wee The Peat Monster. All in all very pleasant.

Les Paul
Bronze Member

Postby Les Paul » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:48 pm

Sherried Malt, Muskrat:

No fair!! No ganging up on your number one young single malt fanatic!!!!!!

:D 8)

8)

jruddy

Postby jruddy » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:50 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote:
jruddy wrote:Isle of Jura 10yo - it was the last bottle in town so I had to buy it... :wink: ....

jruddy: Which one did you get, the older orange box or the new packaging? I assume the older version if it was the last one in town.
It's a very enjoyable dram I find.
Muskrat

Muskrat: It was the white box. Either there's been a run on it or the local LCBOs have stopped stocking it. Either way I thought I had better grab it rather than wait 'who knows how long' for a re-stock. (I missed out on the last bottle of Superstition by a day too...!)

I suppose I could order it in but where's the fun and spontenaeity in that?

Cheers
Jim

woodhill
Gold Member

Postby woodhill » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:14 am

May I be the first to say:-

Laph 10 CS
Laph QC
Laph 15(didnt have 25 or 27)

Shared no doubt with many more FOLs and forum Members!

It was great drinking with you all!

:thumbsup:

Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:49 pm

The new Glenmorangie Original, and the Nikka From The Barrel

Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:14 pm

It was a great day yesterday, so I decided to reach for the Highland Park 30. An amazing dram. Life doesn't get much better. :thumbsup:

Leither
Gold Member

Postby Leither » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:10 pm

I was at the 'normal 5 dram selection' tasting hosted by Mark Davidson (of Cadenheads) last night in the Tolbooth Tavern. I've now been at about 6 of these tastings (my first one was in June) and I'm now becoming a bit of a regular, if not an expert.

Anyway, whiskies tasted (blind) were as follows:

An Cnoc 1975 30yo 50% OB - nice dram for starters, but a bit too rubbery/meaty for me, seemed so much younger as well. Mark assured us this was not 'dropped from his over 30yo tasting next month'

Tomatin 1989 bottled Sept '06, 1 of 294, 56.4% Cadenheads - just a nice dram, 'a good whisky drinkers whisky' from an ex-bourbon cask

*Mystery dram* Amrut Cask Strength 62.8% - delicious and bourbon-like, really threw us as we thought it was maybe a rye, a big surprise when revealed. Mark really knows how to keep us all on our toes.

Ardmore QC NCF 46% (recently released, inaugural OB) - nicely smoked and fruity/cherry notes, difficult to pin down. Fuller on the nose than on the palate, with a short finish. (I'm pleased to have picked this up whilst on offer for £15 at Sainsburys!)

Springbank 7yo, 24/9/99 - 25/4/07, Mike Ralston Private Cask from first-fill sherry - wow, luxurious and rich from such a clean, very active sherry cask. Lucky man, apparently he only bottled some of it at 7yo.

Talisker 20yo, 1981-2002, 62.3% Sherry Cask OB - last but my no means least a wonderful sherry-peat bomb, one of the best drams I've tasted so far, such a long finish. We were convinced it was a great Lagavulin or a even-greater Caol Ila!

Winner on the night was the Talisker just, closley followed by the Springbank and what a surprise in the Amrut. I really enjoy these tastings - also nice to have some oatcakes, shortbread and chocolate (and some great home-made tablet from Mark's missus! :thumbsup: ).

I was a wee bit dubious before I attended these events as I thought they could maybe be just a plug for Cadenheads' wares but, whilst demonstrating that independents such as Cadenheads can compete with the big boys especially bottling single casks, the best thing with them is the variety of unusual and, more often than not, delicious drams, sourced worldwide by Mark - he really does know his stuff.

Great raffle at the end for miniatures from previous tastings (last night I got JW Green but previously have had some stunners such as Bladnoch Sheep, Glenrothers Rumwood and even a wee sip of the 'Fishky') and the chance to purchase bottle remnants used at the tastings, often at trade price. 8)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:52 pm

Leither wrote:Talisker 20yo, 1981-2002, 62.3% Sherry Cask OB - last but my no means least a wonderful sherry-peat bomb, one of the best drams I've tasted so far, such a long finish. We were convinced it was a great Lagavulin or a even-greater Caol Ila!

Hey, how come everybody but me gets to try this?? :mrgreen:

Sounds like I have to redouble my efforts in finding this gem! :)

Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:57 am

That does sound like a great night of tasting Leither. I've heard from a few others that Amrut Cask Strength is very good. The others sound great too!

Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:55 pm

Found a bottle of MacPhail's Collection Highland Park 30 hiding in the back of the shelf. Decided to try it side-by-side with the OB HP 30.
The former is noticably darker and sweeter on the palate (think nougat candy). Very nice sherried nose. The OB has a wonderfully complex (but ethereal) nose with lighter sherry and hints of fruit. The palate is perfectly balanced. About as close to a perfect whisky as I can imagine. Delicious!

Overall, for the money, I'd go for the MacPhail's, but I'm saving the OB for special occasions. Amazing stuff. :thumbsup:

Danny
Bronze Member

Postby Danny » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:57 pm

As part of the on line tasting forum did a vertical of the Glenlivet. The 12, the 15 year old French Oak Reserve and the 18.

Was a very pleasent evening all in all. Enjoyed all the discussion and notes from others on line.

CCRoy

Postby CCRoy » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:27 pm

Sherried Malt wrote:Found a bottle of MacPhail's Collection Highland Park 30 hiding in the back of the shelf.

What I'd give to find a bottle of HP 30 hiding in the back of any of my shelves right now. That sort of whisky is a bit outside my budget at the moment, so all I can do is hope the Whisky Fairy slip a bottle in one night.
:mrgreen:

I had a pint of Old Speckled Hen last night.

Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Lawrence » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:47 pm

Glenlivet 30yo from a bourbon cask by Murray McDavid, a large Brora 20yo OB and a very large Laphroaig 18yo from a sherry butt by Douglas Laing. All with a 7 course meal, I avoided the wines and managaed to stay sober over the course of the evening.

Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:57 pm

Caol Ila 12y

Mr Fjeld

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:16 pm

Di Blasi wrote:Caol Ila 12y

That's one lovely whisky :thumbsup:

MrAwesome

Postby MrAwesome » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:15 am

Had oldest son's wedding yesterday. We started off with JW Blue one of the groomsmen brought. Then I supplied Lag.16, Ardbeg 10 & Uigeadial & Knob Creek . At the reception, they only had JW Black & Jack Daniels as far as scotch & 'bourbon' goes, so I brought my own. All had a great time & by the end of the party I had 9 new SM converts & 5 bourbon converts. The novelty of these whiskies caused a bit of curious attention but all on a positively festive note. Now the requests for a tasting event in the near future have started.

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:27 am

Congratulations on your oldest sons' marriage. Explains why you've been missing at the live tastings, there was so much else good going on in your life!

How many more , dare I ask, have you got left to marry off?

Muskrat

Yellowjacket
Bronze Member

Postby Yellowjacket » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:58 am

MrAwesome wrote:Had oldest son's wedding yesterday. We started off with JW Blue one of the groomsmen brought. Then I supplied Lag.16, Ardbeg 10 & Uigeadial & Knob Creek . At the reception, they only had JW Black & Jack Daniels as far as scotch & 'bourbon' goes, so I brought my own. All had a great time & by the end of the party I had 9 new SM converts & 5 bourbon converts. The novelty of these whiskies caused a bit of curious attention but all on a positively festive note. Now the requests for a tasting event in the near future have started.

MrAwesome,
Congratulations and best wishes on your son's marriage! I know that you and your wife and family are very excited and happy! And you made new converts and and are working on [url]another[/url] tasting event! The best of fortune to you and your family!
Cheers - Bob

Return to “Whisky Chat”