What did you drink last night?

General chat and talk about whisky.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member
Posts: 2472
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:22 pm

Postby Frodo » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:19 am

Les Paul wrote:
Lawrence wrote:Macallan 50yo Millenium Malt.


Holy schyt!!!!! :shock: :shock:


Yeah - that was my thoughts as well!!! :shock:

Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member
Posts: 4249
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:08 pm

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:06 am

Frodo wrote:
Les Paul wrote:
Lawrence wrote:Macallan 50yo Millenium Malt.


Holy schyt!!!!! :shock: :shock:


Yeah - that was my thoughts as well!!! :shock:

:shock: same here - wow Lawrence, would you like to tell us more about your impressions of it?

martin grant
Gold Member
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:34 pm

Postby martin grant » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:50 am

Started the evening with a Glenmorangie 15 year old, then a glass of Auchentoshan 10 (didn't really enjoy this one - a bit sweet for me).

Finished off with a bottle of Isle of Arran Ale

Frodo
Triple Gold Member
Posts: 2472
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:22 pm

Postby Frodo » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:12 am

martin grant wrote:Started the evening with a Glenmorangie 15 year old


Would love to hear your impressions of this one as it's on sale at the LCBO...

bond
Gold Member
Posts: 513
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 1:29 pm

Postby bond » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:10 pm

Stolichnaya Vodka last night. With tonic water

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:23 pm

Frodo wrote:
Les Paul wrote:
Lawrence wrote:Macallan 50yo Millenium Malt.


Holy schyt!!!!! :shock: :shock:


Yeah - that was my thoughts as well!!! :shock:


Oh, don't encourage him. He's just showing off!

:P :P :P

User avatar
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member
Posts: 4943
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:16 am

Postby les taylor » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:37 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:
Frodo wrote:
Les Paul wrote:[quote="Lawrence"]Macallan 50yo Millenium Malt.


Holy schyt!!!!! :shock: :shock:


Yeah - that was my thoughts as well!!! :shock:


Oh, don't encourage him. He's just showing off!

:P :P :P[/quote]

Has his holiday started? I think it must because ha purchased a bottle from Berry Bros & Rudd yesterday, unless it was on the internet.

:) So Lawrence could already be larging it up in London.

martin grant
Gold Member
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:34 pm

Postby martin grant » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:20 pm

Frodo wrote:
martin grant wrote:Started the evening with a Glenmorangie 15 year old


Would love to hear your impressions of this one as it's on sale at the LCBO...


I really like this one Frodo. Reminds me of puff candy. Reasonably sweet and warming. Has quite a rich mouthfeel. If I'm ever lucky enough to have something like a creme brulee for dessert I always pour one of these to accompany it. A really good match.

Ardbeg311
Gold Member
Posts: 614
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:36 am

Postby Ardbeg311 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:55 pm

Sorry for the essay, but yesterday I tried 3 new whiskies at a bar in Rome that I can warmly recommend - The Scholar's Lounge.

I first dropped by the Nag's Head which claims to be a Scottish Pub. I am not sure why as the only whisky it had for sale was the basic Classic Malt range. Just down the street a bit is The Scholar's Lounge (http://www.weddinginrome.ie/scholar) which proudly proclaims itself an Irish Pub. Wow! What a selection! An incredible range of Irish whiskies. I suspect he hand-carried many of them from Ireland. I lost count of all the Midletons the proprietor, who sounded like he just came off the boat from Ireland, was listing and my mind especially went numb when he started quoting prices of 90 euros and more a dram for some of these bottles! He also has a real solid selection of bourbon, proudly showing me a bottle of Jack Daniel's Green Label that he said was difficult to find even in the States. Of course, he has an incredible range of single malt scotch:

OK, my eye was immediately drawn to the Redbreast 15yo. I recently had tried some regular Jameson and Jameson 12yo and quite enjoyed them. This legendary Irish whiskey I thought would be something phenomenal. The nose on this whiskey is indeed fantastic and really rich, the kind that says you are in for something special. In fact, I don't remember the last whisky that I had that I took such pleasure in on the nose alone. While the nose promised something truly special the taste could not deliver. For some reason I couldn't get around the fruity taste notes. I spent a half an hour trying to figure out what fruit(s) I was tasting and finally settled on a kind of apple/mango? Very sweet and enjoyable. All the same, I have to say that I would not spend the money they are asking for this bottle! It is better than the Jameson 12, but IMO not worth the effort or price difference in securing one. In short, it is good, but not, I think, legendary good. The only caveat here is that he opened the bottle for me and maybe this bottle needs some time to breath. I will probably go back and have another dram of it on Saturday.

My second dram was the Connemara Cask Strength (58.9%). I really wanted to see how this stacked up against the peaty Islays that I enjoy so much. This bottle was very solid. Not overly complex, but I think I will be buying one of these in the near future because the price is very reasonable. Not deeply earthy/peaty like the better Ardbegs or Lagavulins, but still quite pleasant in delivering a peaty, sweet punch. I enjoyed this.

The third and final dram was the Highland Park 25yo. Definitely the highlight of the day! It was from the new "ugly bottle" edition that, again, the owner had to open up for me to try. This whisky really is a gem and I think noticeably better than the HP 18's I have had and noticeably better then the HP 30yo I had last year. Wonderful balance of honey, sweetness, spice, and oak? It possessed a "sophistication factor," by which I mean how easily the whisky transports one into a place like the glorious room that houses the heart of the Morgan Library in New York (here insert your own place of elegance, style, class). Received a personal score in the low 90's and maybe the best bottle I have had in 2007. Would like to put it H2H with the Yamazaki 18yo before I could give it the title, however.

All in all, a most enjoyable day of whisky! The bartender was very pleasant and from Brooklyn, New York. The attraction of this bar for me is that I felt right at home...could easily have been in Boston, MA.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:17 pm

Ardbeg311 wrote:The third and final dram was the Highland Park 25yo. Definitely the highlight of the day! It was from the new "ugly bottle" edition that, again, the owner had to open up for me to try. This whisky really is a gem and I think noticeably better than the HP 18's I have had and noticeably better then the HP 30yo I had last year.


Haven't had the new bottling, but the HP25 I've had was far more enjoyable than the 30, which I thought was rather dry and woody. (Based on a single dram in the Stromness Hotel, Orkney.)

Ardbeg311 wrote:The attraction of this bar for me is that I felt right at home...could easily have been in Boston, MA.


See you in Mr Dooley's!

Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member
Posts: 4249
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:08 pm

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:17 pm

Ardbeg311 wrote: OK, my eye was immediately drawn to the Redbreast 15yo. I recently had tried some regular Jameson and Jameson 12yo and quite enjoyed them. This legendary Irish whiskey I thought would be something phenomenal. The nose on this whiskey is indeed fantastic and really rich, the kind that says you are in for something special. In fact, I don't remember the last whisky that I had that I took such pleasure in on the nose alone. While the nose promised something truly special the taste could not deliver. For some reason I couldn't get around the fruity taste notes.

I find that interesting, I prefer the Redbreast 12 rather than the 15 because I imagine the 12 to be a little more elegant and with a more balanced structure. The 15 seems to "drown" a little in the sherry characer - or maybe the "fruit" as you say. I'd love to hear what you think of the 12 when you get around to try it?

Jan
Gold Member
Posts: 965
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:15 pm

Postby Jan » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:27 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:
Ardbeg311 wrote: OK, my eye was immediately drawn to the Redbreast 15yo. I recently had tried some regular Jameson and Jameson 12yo and quite enjoyed them. This legendary Irish whiskey I thought would be something phenomenal. The nose on this whiskey is indeed fantastic and really rich, the kind that says you are in for something special. In fact, I don't remember the last whisky that I had that I took such pleasure in on the nose alone. While the nose promised something truly special the taste could not deliver. For some reason I couldn't get around the fruity taste notes.

I find that interesting, I prefer the Redbreast 12 rather than the 15 because I imagine the 12 to be a little more elegant and with a more balanced structure. The 15 seems to "drown" a little in the sherry characer - or maybe the "fruit" as you say. I'd love to hear what you think of the 12 when you get around to try it?


You do??! Me too - I suspect we bought our Redbreast 15 in the same shop - and after having a few drams I concluded that I would just as well have the 12yo.

Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member
Posts: 4249
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:08 pm

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:57 pm

Jan wrote:
Mr Fjeld wrote:
Ardbeg311 wrote: OK, my eye was immediately drawn to the Redbreast 15yo. I recently had tried some regular Jameson and Jameson 12yo and quite enjoyed them. This legendary Irish whiskey I thought would be something phenomenal. The nose on this whiskey is indeed fantastic and really rich, the kind that says you are in for something special. In fact, I don't remember the last whisky that I had that I took such pleasure in on the nose alone. While the nose promised something truly special the taste could not deliver. For some reason I couldn't get around the fruity taste notes.

I find that interesting, I prefer the Redbreast 12 rather than the 15 because I imagine the 12 to be a little more elegant and with a more balanced structure. The 15 seems to "drown" a little in the sherry characer - or maybe the "fruit" as you say. I'd love to hear what you think of the 12 when you get around to try it?


You do??! Me too - I suspect we bought our Redbreast 15 in the same shop - and after having a few drams I concluded that I would just as well have the 12yo.

That's good to hear Jan! At least it makes two of us :lol:

Lawrence
Matured cask
Posts: 5019
Joined: Wed May 21, 2003 1:01 am

Postby Lawrence » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:11 pm

Drrich1965 wrote:
Lawrence wrote:Macallan 50yo Millenium Malt.


and..and..and..how was it?


I'm currently in London ( and quite oddly posting in the correct time zone as WM). I had the Macallan after dinner (at Gordon Ramsey's)...an excellent diiner with very attentive service. I actually had a bit of fun of trying to pour my wife some water.a server would leap across the room to snatch the bottle from my hands.

The Macallan was oily, sherried with woody notes but not too much wood. It was very good and and I recommend that everybody try it!! :)

Tonight we has dinner at the SMWS along with some excellent drams. The new bottling list is available tomorrowso we're heading back. The Balmenach and Cragganmore look promising.

Talk to you all soon,

Lawrence

Les Paul
Bronze Member
Posts: 184
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:02 am

Postby Les Paul » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:02 pm

Lawrence:

That's not enough; we need more. Kindly elaborate, sir.

Frodo
Triple Gold Member
Posts: 2472
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:22 pm

Postby Frodo » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:56 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:
Jan wrote:
Mr Fjeld wrote:[quote="Ardbeg311"] OK, my eye was immediately drawn to the Redbreast 15yo. I recently had tried some regular Jameson and Jameson 12yo and quite enjoyed them. This legendary Irish whiskey I thought would be something phenomenal. The nose on this whiskey is indeed fantastic and really rich, the kind that says you are in for something special. In fact, I don't remember the last whisky that I had that I took such pleasure in on the nose alone. While the nose promised something truly special the taste could not deliver. For some reason I couldn't get around the fruity taste notes.

I find that interesting, I prefer the Redbreast 12 rather than the 15 because I imagine the 12 to be a little more elegant and with a more balanced structure. The 15 seems to "drown" a little in the sherry characer - or maybe the "fruit" as you say. I'd love to hear what you think of the 12 when you get around to try it?


You do??! Me too - I suspect we bought our Redbreast 15 in the same shop - and after having a few drams I concluded that I would just as well have the 12yo.

That's good to hear Jan! At least it makes two of us :lol:[/quote]

Interesting. I felt that the 12 is the one that drowns in sherry and the 15 has far more structure and assertive personality. Having said that, I like the 15yr Redbreast more but am unlikely to pay for it, prefering the 12 for its value.

Frodo
Triple Gold Member
Posts: 2472
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:22 pm

Postby Frodo » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:00 am

martin grant wrote:
Frodo wrote:
martin grant wrote:Started the evening with a Glenmorangie 15 year old


Would love to hear your impressions of this one as it's on sale at the LCBO...


I really like this one Frodo. Reminds me of puff candy. Reasonably sweet and warming. Has quite a rich mouthfeel. If I'm ever lucky enough to have something like a creme brulee for dessert I always pour one of these to accompany it. A really good match.


Thanks. Would be interested in any comparison to the 10yr old (if you have both of them and the inclination). I've heard good things about this dram from yourself and Harry, but here in Ontario, the 15 would be 2x the cost of the 10 (which I dearly love) so I'm not sure. I have heard that some of the forceful flavours of the 15 come from the fact that it's finished in new oak. And it's not being produced anymore...

User avatar
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member
Posts: 4943
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:16 am

Postby les taylor » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:52 am

Jura Superstition I've really enjoyed this whisky unfortunately it' now gone :empty: I think I'll definetly get another. I was thinking what a loss Michael Jackson is with his unique view of this drink that we all appreciate.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:37 pm

Toasted the memory of MJ with a dram that Mrs C and I tend to bring out on such occasions to rekindle our optimism.
Ardbeg 10.

Dubois
Cask Strength Gold Member
Posts: 3884
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:38 pm

Postby Dubois » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:01 pm

Balvenie Single Barrel 15 Yrs.

Nice, very nice...

jruddy
New member
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:02 pm

Postby jruddy » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:03 pm

Scapa 14 - my first taste.

Nose: Heather, Lavender
Palate: Sweet, Cooked Fruit, Mild Wood, Heather
Finish: Short

A light, smooth inoffensive single.

I will happily drink this bottle, but won't be buying another. I much prefer a fuller flavoured dram, though my underdeveloped senses may be missing some of the more subtle flavours in the Scapa.

Cam
New member
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:48 pm

Postby Cam » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:22 pm

After a day of fence building in the hot sun with nothing but water just had to slam down a good Canadian beer, a Kokanee. Once rested and cooled down, flashed up the BBQ with An Elijah CRaig, on ice, in hand (which finished the bottle by the way). On to Gibson's 18yo on ice as well (which also finished the bottle). Finished the evening by opening the Dalmore 'Cigar Malt'. Expected a smoky malt but it wasn't at all. Still, I enjoyed the Dalmore once I got over my expectations.

Cam

Yellowjacket
Bronze Member
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:53 pm

Postby Yellowjacket » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:03 am

In memory of Michael Jackson, last night I opened a Macallan 18 (1980) and a Highland Park 25 (53.5%), two bottles I've been holding for an appropriate occasion. Thank you, Michael Jackson, for launching me onto this wonderful journey of enjoying single malt whisky. I and many others will truly miss your insight and wit.

hpulley
Triple Gold Member
Posts: 2503
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2002 2:01 am

Postby hpulley » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:40 am

Not last night but this afternoon in the rotating restaurant atop the CN Tower a 16yo Signatory Caol Ila 43% which was nice as an apertif but light for Caol Ila so I'm glad I didn't save it for after dinner.

Harry

User avatar
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member
Posts: 4943
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:16 am

Postby les taylor » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Bruichladdich Rocks. The bottle has been open for a month or so. It was so much better than I remember.



:)

Ardbeg311
Gold Member
Posts: 614
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:36 am

Postby Ardbeg311 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:18 pm

Macallan Thirties. Did not have very high hopes for this one and so was not disappointed. I had a hard time distinguishing it from the Mac 12yo Sherrys I have had recently. Consequently, my opinion here is the same...very drinkable and pleasant enough but nothing special. I think I can forgo the other bottles in the Travel series. Not really reasonably priced either given its 500ml size.

S_tan_De_mon
Silver Member
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:43 am

What I drammed last night...

Postby S_tan_De_mon » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:22 am

Hello all:

Last night, a friend stopped over to the store; I poured a wee dram of Tamnavulin 12 yr (perfume bottle decanter) for each of us. Once again, a surprisingnly pleasant dram which has opened up and evolved nicely since I last tasted it (about 2 yrs ago). Worthy of a 75-76 score... about 5 pts. improved since the last time, I would estimate. It was only the beginning of dramming, as my friend confirmed that he had arranged a concert tour through Spain and Portugal for a group of choral music enthusiasts next June. He accepted my two cents worth and arranged for the group to visit Jerez and sample the sherries and brandies for which it is so well known. For celebratory drams, I went to the back room and brought out two Jerez Spanish brandies (Carlos I & Gran Duque D Alba). I offered a hearty toast and we drammed some of each in honor of his upcoming Spanish/Portuguese adventure. That Gran Duque is something very special! We then ambled over to the Pub across the parking lot and had a bite to eat (and a Mac 12 sherry dram for me also). We returned to the store and had another dram of Gran Duque D Alba. He then left to see his girlfriend and I had a few more small drams: OB Bowmore 10 yr @43%, Balvenie 21 PW, Ellenstown 10 yr, and finally a bottled in 1987 Pinch 12 yr old. Man, Pinch was really a fine blend in that era. All in all, a very pleasant, enjoyable evening...

Slainte!

S'tan

Jan
Gold Member
Posts: 965
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:15 pm

Postby Jan » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:04 am

Last night I started with a G&M Strathisla before progressing to an Islay trio; Caol Ila 18yo, Laphroaig QC and Lagavulin DE. All three nice drams that I enjoyed, not in the least because it seems that a "peat-tired" period, I hvae experiencing for the past months, is now over.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:30 am

Over tghe past few days, and in no particular order,
Tullibardine 1993 Port
Scapa 14
Balvenie 15
HP18

If only everything in life was so reliable as those sweet gems above :thumbsup:

Frodo
Triple Gold Member
Posts: 2472
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:22 pm

Postby Frodo » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:15 pm

Last night the second-last dram of Harry's 17yr Glen Garioch (DTC). Great dram! (Thanks Harry)

shoganai
Silver Member
Posts: 449
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:25 am

Postby shoganai » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:23 pm

This weekend, I opened a couple of bottles in honour of MJ.

Lagavulin 16 - it's been a while since I had this one. I figured this was the right occassion to open the bottle I've had on my shelf. I have trouble describing this one beyond saying that it is an absolutley fantastic whisky. It honestly doesn't get much better than this.

Macallan 12 - was never a fan of this until a few months ago. I forced myself through about 2/3 of a bottle and then something clicked and I intensely enjoyed the last 1/3. I'm still a little turned off by their marketing, but it's tough to argue with quality like this. My first stop at the Philadelphia Whisky Festival will be the Macallan table, as I'd like to try the 18 and the FO series.

Quaichuser
Bronze Member
Posts: 244
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:35 pm

Postby Quaichuser » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:48 am

Dinner with a couple of our single malt loving friends. Remembered MJ with the last of my Glenfarclas 105.

Also poured drams of Craggenmore, Laphroaig 10 and Forty Creek Barrel Select.

It was a warm summers eve for a Labour day weekend.

S_tan_De_mon
Silver Member
Posts: 266
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:43 am

Last Night's Drams...

Postby S_tan_De_mon » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:03 am

Hello all:

Last night, my wife and I drove to visit her girlfriend and her girlfriend's fiance. I brought along four bottles to share: Talisker 175th Anniversary, Glengoyne 1967 vintage, Bowmore 12 yr (older "silk-screen" like label), and a Glenhaven Glenfarclas 17 yr. He also had a few bottles out of which I poured small drams of a late 1970's/early '80's bottling of White Horse and an OB Glen Garioch 10 yr. He enjoyed them very much. A nice dinner and small drams of the above mentioed bottles, lots of water, and some time before we left on our 61 mile drive back home. A very pleasant evening for all and an uneventful drive back...just the kind I prefer...

Slainte!

S'tan

Dubois
Cask Strength Gold Member
Posts: 3884
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:38 pm

Postby Dubois » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:12 pm

Laphroaig Quarter Cask.

Not bad...not bad at all :wink:

User avatar
LeoDLion
Gold Member
Posts: 664
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:49 pm

Postby LeoDLion » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:31 pm

It was a holiday weekend here in the US so we have a four day holiday. Saturday was Bruichladich 10 yrs I believe with typical Texas barbeque. On second thought I think the bbq will go well with Ardbeg Uigendail.

Next day was a dinner with friends and I imbibed on Auchantoshan with dinner being Cajun cuisine. Both went very well.

Watching the US Open tennis, I was enjoying caol ila and talisker. I was feeling that the caol ila was becoming too sweet but the talisker was getting better.


Return to “Whisky Chat”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests