No idea, 50th birthday gift

General chat and talk about whisky.
Big doggy

No idea, 50th birthday gift

Postby Big doggy » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:16 pm

Hi all. I am sorry I know so very little about whiskey, but I am a paramedic in Ontario Canada, and my partner at work has his 50 th birthday coming up and all I know Is he likes single malt whiskey. So instead of just guessing JW blue label is easiest to get, I am hoping someone can help me find something comparable or better for close to the same price. His birthday is in 6 days..... Is the only place to get whiskey in Ontario here the LCBO'S? If so.... Do some carry more brands than others? And if so, any suggestions to a specific brand, or any advice or suggestions would be more than welcome....
Thank you and
Cheers!
Bill

Big doggy

Re: No idea, 50th birthday gift

Postby Big doggy » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:01 am

Thank you for that info. That is good to know about JW. Ok, hopefully someone from Ontario can chime in... I believe the LCBO'S are the only place I can buy from.

Onefortheditch
Silver Member

Postby Onefortheditch » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:44 pm

He likes malt whisky, but does he like a peat, sherry, bourbon, rum or wine finish?

Big doggy

Postby Big doggy » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:45 pm

No idea of what he likes, other than johnie walker he has had and liked, but thats all i know. I was thinking of some of these choices.....
LAPHROAIG 18 YEARS OLD ISLAY SINGLE MALT $$
AMRUT FUSION SINGLE MALT WHISKY $
PENDERYN 41 MADEIRA FINISH WELSH WHISKY $
THE GLENLIVET ARCHIVE 21 YEARS OLD SCOTCH WHISKY $$
so was thinking of one bottle of either laphroaig or glenlivet and a less costly bottle of either amrut or penderyn......
perhaps a ABERLOUR 18 YEAR OLD SINGLE MALT SCOTCH WHISKY $$
any thoughts of any of these or a combo of a less costly bottle ($) matched up with a higher cost one ($) ? i know money doesnt mean quality always.... but my budget would allow for one of the higher ones and a lesser one and then he can enjoy two for comaparisons....

Big doggy

Postby Big doggy » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:12 pm

ok, well i went with
the glenlivet 21 yo and the Amrut fusion.
I am sure he will like them.... ok.. well.....
thanks for the input ganga and Willie....

Return to “Whisky Chat”