Health Concerns and Whisky

General chat and talk about whisky.
AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Health Concerns and Whisky

Postby AdamMY » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:31 am

I have realized that alcohol has been causing me excess anxiety and I was actually dry for the entire week leading up to this post, and the anxiety seemed greatly diminished. So I am wondering has anyone noticed any adverse effects to alcohol consumption and what have you done to try and counteract them?

I am thinking of becoming incredibly strict with my intake and limit any alcohol intake to strictly Fridays and Saturdays.

Malhavoc

Re: Health Concerns and Whisky

Postby Malhavoc » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:36 am

As a single glass helps my mood swings immensely, I've been concerned about developing a dependency. Like you, I closely watch my intake though.

I'm intrigued that it's causing you anxiety. Alcohol is a supposed to be a depressant.

The best thing to do, if you're concerned about alcohol and your health, it to consult a doctor. People on this forum are pretty knowledgeable about whisky, but probably less so about health matters. :wink:

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:42 am

Adam:
It's probably wise to stay dry and discuss this with your licensed medical provider at your next appointment.

Musky

AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby AdamMY » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:32 pm

I talked to a doctor, and he agreed with what I came to believe that it was more stress related than anything else. I had actually recently started teaching classes at a local University, and I was teaching classes at a level which I have since learned the students will rarely if ever meet your expectations. So I was stressed that I was going to get reprimanded by my superiors because I felt the students were doing horribly. It also was excess stress from having to stand in front of 2 rooms full of people 3 days a week. Not to mention how I still had to preform in all my classes.

I will say though at the end of the semester I was feeling much better and now that it is summer I am feeling great. I did celebrate my return to whiskey a few weeks ago by picking up a bottle of Knappogue Castle 12 year old, and my perennial favorite Bushmills Black Bush.

Return to “Whisky Chat”