Canadian Whisk(e)y

General chat and talk about whisky.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Re: Canadian Whisk(e)y

Postby The Third Dram » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:14 pm

jmrl wrote:Forty Creek Barrel Select very good...

A very smart choice for the money. :thumbsup:

Others that have truly impressed me are:

Crown Royal Cask No. 16
Gibson's 18 Year Old
Wiser's 18 Year Old

t-bone

Postby t-bone » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:05 pm

lockejn, unfortunately most of those whiskies are for mixing only.

However, the one I will recommend is the Crown Royal Cask 16. Its an excellent blend that's finished in French cognac barrels. I first posted notes about it here and its since become my favorite Canadian whisky by far. Although it comes with a premium price, it will reward you.

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:11 pm

Between here and Winnipeg, pretty much everything is available. Oh, that's right, we're on the wrong (or in this case right) side of the Atlantic. I can order anything that's on the LC list and have it shipped to my local in fairly short order and it's too much to list here. There are 130+ on the list to date:
http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/produ ... anguage=EN

I've had the pleasure of meeting John Hall from 40 Creek, who is a prince of a man with a very steady pouring arm. That is to say, he gives generous portions of his fine product.

Generally I enjoy 40 Creek, CC, Wisers and Glen Breton (not technically a rye whisky) but technically a Canadian dram. (Despite the misdirected legal efforts of the SWA)
:D

Muskrat Portage

Drammed
Gold Member

Postby Drammed » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:04 pm

If you are going to buck up for the Crown Royal Cask 16, and you like the 40 creek, then you might want to try the forty creek double barrel. It goes for around $60 cad around here and is almost 1/2 the price of Cask 16.

tylergallant7

Postby tylergallant7 » Sun May 30, 2010 2:37 am

Like some have said before Forty Creek reserve or Forty Creek Double Barrel are very good.
Also: Wisers 18yr
Canadian Club 12 yr,20yr, 30yr
Gibsons 18yr

Realize also that some of the Canadian Whiskeys available in the U.S. are not available in Canada because whiskeys like Canadian Hunter are made by Seagrams for U.S customers only. Its wierd but they do that because companies assume the people below Canada have differant tastes when it comes to rye.

Return to “Whisky Chat”