ISLAY - Ireland Or Scotland?

General chat and talk about whisky.
User avatar
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member
Posts: 3644
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:27 pm
Location: Galway, Ireland
Contact:

Re: ISLAY - Ireland Or Scotland?

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:34 pm

Iain wrote:
Anyway, the point is that the folks in the US objected to a geographical name that was no longer appropriate - their independent country was no longer "British". And that seems to me to be appropriate for the Irish living in the Republic. Their country occupies most of the island of Ireland, is independent, and certainly not British. Why should they accept that they live in the "British" Isles, any more than the Americans should have accepted after independence that they lived in "British" North America?

There's no problem calling the archipelago "the islands of Britain and Ireland" or something similar - it's more accurate for a start, and less irritating to patriotic citizens of the Republic.

So - what was the original question? :?


After 2 pages of debate I think you have hit the nail on the head Iain ...

... however in a way I can see why this causes so much confusion. Ireland being such a small nation it is easy to amalganate us into the UK due to proximity & past history. The amount of people I have met that think this is true used to always amaze me but if they have no real interest in a small nation off the west cost of Europe there is no reason why they should know it as a matter of course ... and this is probably where the nub of problem lies ... the reason people do associate the entirity of the Brittish Isles as they do is because of the title itself being out there and in the main stream so the need is to re-educate and spread a bit of our own propaganda


Foot note:

The word propaganda is not neccessairly a bad word as a lot of people seem to associate

Propaganda is the dissemination of information aimed at influencing the opinions or behaviors of people.

:wink:

User avatar
MacDeffe
Bronze Member
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: aarhus, Denmark
Contact:

Re: ISLAY - Ireland Or Scotland?

Postby MacDeffe » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:55 pm

I just wonder why the two big Islands of the coast of France is named after it's north-west part (Bretagne)

*runs away and hides*

MacDeffe

Deactivated Member

Re: ISLAY - Ireland Or Scotland?

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:13 am

I don't think it's the same at all! The name "British North America" described British possessions in North America, whose boundaries changed over time, as the Brits occupied and relinquished territory. When the US was no longer a British possession, it no longer applied to them. But the British Isles is a geographical term, with, as has been established, no legal or governmental weight; its boundaries are geographical (and therefore unchanging), not political. It doesn't mean the whole of the archipelago is under British rule, any more than the name Grand-Bretagne implies that Great Britain is under Breton rule--It would remain the name even if Scotland and Wales were entirely independent. If you want a different name, fine, and I'll accept your arguments for not liking it, but you can't use political reasons to claim that the geographical term doesn't include Ireland. Of course Ireland is not part of Great Britain; but like it or not, it is part of the British Isles, until you can convince everyone to use a different name. That is, for better or worse, the name geographers and cartographers have long agreed to use.

Now let's talk about something a little less inflammatory...like "Londonderry" on Irish passports. :D

Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member
Posts: 3253
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2002 2:01 am
Location: Dublin

Re: ISLAY - Ireland Or Scotland?

Postby Aidan » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:03 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:I don't think it's the same at all! The name "British North America" described British possessions in North America, whose boundaries changed over time, as the Brits occupied and relinquished territory. When the US was no longer a British possession, it no longer applied to them. But the British Isles is a geographical term, with, as has been established, no legal or governmental weight; its boundaries are geographical (and therefore unchanging), not political. It doesn't mean the whole of the archipelago is under British rule, any more than the name Grand-Bretagne implies that Great Britain is under Breton rule--It would remain the name even if Scotland and Wales were entirely independent. If you want a different name, fine, and I'll accept your arguments for not liking it, but you can't use political reasons to claim that the geographical term doesn't include Ireland. Of course Ireland is not part of Great Britain; but like it or not, it is part of the British Isles, until you can convince everyone to use a different name. That is, for better or worse, the name geographers and cartographers have long agreed to use.

Now let's talk about something a little less inflammatory...like "Londonderry" on Irish passports. :D


Actually, it was not a term originally coined just to define a geographical feature. It was put in place firmly to indicate the influence of Britain over these islands - an influence it no longer has. And many cartographers and dictionaries do not use the term to refer to these islands.

I think you're just arguing for the sake of it at this stage.

Deactivated Member

Re: ISLAY - Ireland Or Scotland?

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:30 am

Honestly, no....

Aidan wrote:
MrTattieHeid wrote:And many cartographers and dictionaries do not use the term to refer to these islands.

And what term do they use?

Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member
Posts: 3253
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2002 2:01 am
Location: Dublin

Re: ISLAY - Ireland Or Scotland?

Postby Aidan » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:07 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:Honestly, no....

Aidan wrote:
MrTattieHeid wrote:And many cartographers and dictionaries do not use the term to refer to these islands.

And what term do they use?


I think there are a few different ones, but mostly (amongst those who do not use "British Isles") it's Britain and Ireland. The British Government use the term "these islands" in their dealings with the irish Government. There are also lesser used terms like "the Anglo-Celtic archipelligo".

Issues with the term British Isles in relation to Ireland have been recognized in the UK and there is evidence that its use has been increasingly avoided in recent years in some fields of use, such as by cartographers and in some academic work, such as Norman Davies' history of Britain and Ireland called "The Isles".

Iain
Double Gold Member
Posts: 1254
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2001 2:01 am
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: ISLAY - Ireland Or Scotland?

Postby Iain » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:24 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote: If you want a different name, fine, and I'll accept your arguments for not liking it


Well, that seems a nice conciliatory way to end this heated wee discussion.

Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member
Posts: 3253
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2002 2:01 am
Location: Dublin

Re: ISLAY - Ireland Or Scotland?

Postby Aidan » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:38 pm

Iain wrote:
MrTattieHeid wrote: If you want a different name, fine, and I'll accept your arguments for not liking it


Well, that seems a nice conciliatory way to end this heated wee discussion.


I hope it was never heated, but on behalf of myself, Ian and the rest of the people of the Anglo-Celtic Archipelligo...

Iain
Double Gold Member
Posts: 1254
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2001 2:01 am
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: ISLAY - Ireland Or Scotland?

Postby Iain » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:55 pm

[quote="Aidan
I hope it was never heated, but on behalf of myself, Ian and the rest of the people of the Anglo-Celtic Archipelligo...[/quote]

:D

Le Jock Sportif
New member
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:02 am
Location: Gart Cos taobh an Glaschù, Alba.

Re: ISLAY - Ireland Or Scotland?

Postby Le Jock Sportif » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:49 pm

Couldn't it be Celto-Anglic? I mean...We were here first? :P

Deactivated Member

Re: ISLAY - Ireland Or Scotland?

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:53 am

Aidan wrote:
MrTattieHeid wrote:I think there are a few different ones, but mostly (amongst those who do not use "British Isles") it's Britain and Ireland.

...and Man and Wight and Orkney and Shetland and Scilly and Inner, Outer, Upper, and Downer Hebrides and...

Aidan wrote:The British Government use the term "these islands" in their dealings with the irish Government.

"Those islands" everywhere else. (That'll look good on a map.)

Aidan wrote:There are also lesser used terms like "the Anglo-Celtic archipelligo".

I could live with "the Anglo-Celtic Isles"--the best of an unsatisfactory lot, in my mind. It would seem to ignore the Pictish and Scandinavian heritage, though.

I thank you gentlemen for the discussion, and for enlightening me to a matter of some sensitivity, to which I had previously given little thought. It's possible you will have saved me some embarrassment, the next time I'm slogging Guinness in Galway or somewhere. We in the colonies are easily confused by the seemingly nebulous terms Britain, Great Britain, UK, etc, and as a Scot attested above, there are those who simply call the whole mess "England". So you see, it could be worse, and in fact often is.

Now let us get back to arguing about Blended Malts.

Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member
Posts: 3253
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2002 2:01 am
Location: Dublin

Re: ISLAY - Ireland Or Scotland?

Postby Aidan » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:29 am

Mr T, you'd be fine calling it the British Isles while pinting in Galway. Afterall, many Irish people use the term. Just don't call GB "the mainland"!

And speaking of Galway, on the Arran Islands, they call refer to Ireland as "the big island".

Iain
Double Gold Member
Posts: 1254
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2001 2:01 am
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: ISLAY - Ireland Or Scotland?

Postby Iain » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:43 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:It's possible you will have saved me some embarrassment, the next time I'm slogging Guinness in Galway or somewhere. We in the colonies are easily confused by the seemingly nebulous terms Britain, Great Britain, UK, etc, and as a Scot attested above, there are those who simply call the whole mess "England". So you see, it could be worse, and in fact often is.

Now let us get back to arguing about Blended Malts.


And we should all remember, should we ever find ourselves sipping our blended malts in Port Stanley on the Falklands, not to comment loudly on the fine weather we've been having recently in the Malvinas :wink:

DavidH
Silver Member
Posts: 295
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:55 am
Location: Dublin
Contact:

Re: ISLAY - Ireland Or Scotland?

Postby DavidH » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:16 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:I could live with "the Anglo-Celtic Isles"--the best of an unsatisfactory lot, in my mind.

I object to the Celts claiming any jurisdiction over Ireland.

Deactivated Member

Re: ISLAY - Ireland Or Scotland?

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:54 pm

Aidan wrote:And speaking of Galway, on the Arran Islands, they call refer to Ireland as "the big island".

"The Big Island" would conjure Hawaii around here. In both Orkney and Shetland, the largest island of the archipelago is called Mainland. Not to be confused with "the mainland", which would be Scotland. Which is on an island.

Thinking about this conversation last night, I remembered my good friend Marc, of Quebec City. I've always taken an interest in Canadian history and politics, so it's inevitable that he and I would have many arguments over political and cultural issues. He always takes the francophone position, and I counter with the anglophone arguments. And yet, when I am in other parts of Canada, I find myself arguing Marc's points to English-speaking Canadians. It's not so much that I like to argue; it's just that I am naturally inclined to look on the other side of the coin all the time. Once, when Marc rendered an opinion about something, and I reflexively took the counterpoint, he became very exasperated and said, "Every time I say something, you contradict me!" Of course, I answered, "No, I don't."

So that's what you've been dealing with. Undoubtedly, somewhere, sometime, some poor Englishman is going to have to listen to me rant about why the expression "the British Isles" is outdated, inaccurate, and insensitive. Then I will come back here and tell you guys to "get over it" again.

:insane:

Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member
Posts: 3253
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2002 2:01 am
Location: Dublin

Re: ISLAY - Ireland Or Scotland?

Postby Aidan » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:28 pm

A healthy attitude, I think. Keeps everyone thinking about what they are saying. It's good for people to question things.

User avatar
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member
Posts: 3644
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:27 pm
Location: Galway, Ireland
Contact:

Re: ISLAY - Ireland Or Scotland?

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:01 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:
... the next time I'm slogging Guinness in Galway ...


Be sure to drop me a line and we can share a few if your in the area :thumbsup:

Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member
Posts: 3253
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2002 2:01 am
Location: Dublin

Re: ISLAY - Ireland Or Scotland?

Postby Aidan » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:30 am

An anniversary...Ireland has been a republic for 60 years, as of the day before yesterday.

User avatar
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member
Posts: 3644
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:27 pm
Location: Galway, Ireland
Contact:

Re: ISLAY - Ireland Or Scotland?

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:58 am

Aidan wrote:An anniversary...Ireland has been a republic for 60 years, as of the day before yesterday.


Should that not be in the Happy Birthday thread :wink:

Deactivated Member

Re: ISLAY - Ireland Or Scotland?

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:14 am

Well it might be...it was me dear old mum's 83rd. She's three days older than Queen Elizabeth II, who's 83 today (the 21st), and who I know is very dear to your Irish hearts. :D

Iain
Double Gold Member
Posts: 1254
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2001 2:01 am
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: ISLAY - Ireland Or Scotland?

Postby Iain » Sun May 03, 2009 12:13 pm

As a postscript -

when I went to the Mull of Oa, my mobile phone switched to Vodaphone Ireland and I got a message informing me of the switch and hoping I would have "a pleasant stay" there.

And I couldn't get the signal for the Scottish Televison channel in my B&B in Port Ellen, only its Northern Ireland equivalent, Ulster TV.

The Irish are taking over the Islay airwaves! :wink: :wink:

User avatar
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member
Posts: 3644
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:27 pm
Location: Galway, Ireland
Contact:

Re: ISLAY - Ireland Or Scotland?

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon May 11, 2009 3:27 pm

Iain wrote:
The Irish are taking over the Islay airwaves! :wink: :wink:


We took over a long time ago but we just let ye use it with out issue :wink: :P

User avatar
Pure Pot Head
Bronze Member
Posts: 217
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:07 am
Location: Dublin

Re: ISLAY - Ireland Or Scotland?

Postby Pure Pot Head » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:58 pm

What a fascinating thread - I'm sorry everyone here made friends in the end. It was getting really entertaining. Can we get it up and running again?


Return to “Whisky Chat”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests