Jolly Toper tasting Edinburgh 24/4/8

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.
Leither
Gold Member

Re: Jolly Toper tasting Edinburgh 24/4/8

Postby Leither » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:57 am

Mark, this looks a great line-up - I'm particularly interested in the Brackla, if it's anything like the recent Glenrothes from a rum cask it'll be right up my street.

Others look great, including a couple of closed distilleries plus the new Longrow 18 :thumbsup:

BTW - whatever happened to MattButty from the forum, he vanished shortly after one of your tastings last year :?

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:26 pm

I can't make this, but will definitely come along again to the Islay one at the end of May.

:iwbrnt:

The Whisky Lounge

Postby The Whisky Lounge » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:36 pm

Hey Mark, sounds a good do - hope to make it some time when I am up in the promised land again. Have you tried the Longrow 18 yet, or are you saving yourself? Hoping to do an all Springbank/Longrow tasting soon and this is on my hitlist!

The Whisky Lounge

Postby The Whisky Lounge » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:09 am

Cheers Willie, but its the way he tells 'em!

TheTross
Gold Member

Postby TheTross » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:14 am

Sorry to ask a daft question, but how do these tastings work? There's no way I can make it to the actual event but I noticed that the samples can be posted, which I would definitely be interested in. Are they sent out to coincide with the event or at a later date so that we taste them as and when we can and report back?

TheTross
Gold Member

Postby TheTross » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:33 am

No no, after the event is perfectly fine - was just wondering how it all worked. Don't want you getting into trouble now! :P

Gold Member

Postby Newbie » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:25 pm

jmrl wrote:Newbie had a bad experience with this tasting through he post as he probably received his drams about 5 days after the actual tasting.

It wasn't a bad experience at all! In fact I prefer to wait until my palate is 'in the right mood' before doing a serious tasting!

I've only dealt with jmrl once but so far its been a pleasure! The tasters even came with some information on the whiskies which was a welcome bonus and a good read!

Plus the fact that your the only person I know of who offers such a service and I'd imagine that its alot of trouble bottling and packing all the whiskies. So I can hardly complain and can only commend you on your efforts on my behalf!

I look forward to the next tasting and would highly recommend others to participate!

TheTross
Gold Member

Postby TheTross » Sat May 10, 2008 8:21 pm

And here is the postal vote! I apologise for it being very belated, but I wanted to make sure I had enough free time to go through them one by one.

Tulip nosing glass used throughout, and scores are out of 5.

#1: Royal Brackla 15yo 1992/2008 Rum barrel (57.3%, Cadenhead, 232 bottles)
Colour: Pale Gold
Nose: A little dusty. Warm and lively. Eucalyptus and fresh mint. Herbal. Malty and very citrussy - lots of sweet orange and a hint of lemon. A little creamy and honeyed too. Sort of reminiscent of buttercup syrup at times. Hints of bubblegum?
Palate: Malty, quite oily and faintly briny. Honey
Finish: Sweet, honeyed. Citrus fruit and lightly herby at the end.
Score: 3.5

#2: Imperial 29yo 1976 (46.8%, DDC, Exclusive to RMW, 408 bottles)
Colour: Pale Gold
Nose: Quite prickly. Grassy and honeyed, with a little vanilla and eucalyptus. A very faint earthiness and maybe very lightly smoked. A touch nutty and oaky. Sweeter elements in the background. Lightly briny and salty. Becomes very citrussy when given time.
Palate: Slightly briny and citrussy, with honey again. Some citrus fruits. Quite malty and minty towards the end.
Finish: Sweet, honeyed, citrussy and a little malty. Also briny and faintly buttery.
Score: 3.5

#3: Rosebank 16yo 1991/2008 (55.7%, Cadenhead, 230 bottles)
Colour: Straw/Pale gold
Nose: Quite fresh, fragrant and grassy, with a marked honey, vanilla and eucalyptus character. Pears, green apples and citrus. Fairly malty, and has a very slight dusty note after a while.
Palate: Mainly fruity (citrus, pineapple), with some vanilla and toffee. A little grassy and floral.
Finish: Slightly soured fruits and a little malt, grass and honey. Becomes slightly drying after a few moments, and something like Murray mints develops briefly. Also a little fudge.
Score: 4

#4: Longrow 18yo (46%, OB, 2200 bottles)
Colour: Straw/Pale gold
Nose: Peaty, salty and briny. Seaweed. Slight toffee notes and lightly smoked fish. A little meaty. Peppery and faint hints of aniseed and mint. Gets better with time.
Palate: Mainly briny with quite a lot of salt, but also a little malt and peat. Quite oil. Smoked fish again. A little toffee towards the end.
Finish: Slightly minty, with less brine than on the nose and palate and bigger toffee. Also slightly smoky and chocolaty.
Score: 4, 4.5 when given enough time

#5: Glenglassaugh 23yo 1984/2007 (46%, Cadenhead, 612 bottles)
Colour: Burnt orange
Nose: Sweet and very rich. Heavy sherry and dark chocolate. A touch rubbery, with a little sulphur. Pickled onion-flavoured crisps! Slightly burnt treacle toffee. Digestive biscuits/sweetmeal. Some citrus (bitter orange). A little mint appears after a few minutes in the glass.
Palate: Big. Sherry, chocolate and treacle again. Very sweet and drying (perhaps even cloying). More sherry develops with time.
Finish: Mainly winy, with some dark fruits and a slight earthy edge.
Score 4.5

The Glenglassaugh edged it, with the Longrow coming a close second followed by the Rosebank. Both the Royal Brackla and Imperial were good, but in this company they come fourth and fifth respectively in my opinion.

Surprised that the Longrow didn't come top of anyone's list, it became very, very good after some breathing had let a little of the brininess fade. As far as I'm concerned, in most other tastings I could well have voted it #1, but the Glenglassaugh was just perfect for me!

The blend was actually pretty good as well, quite complex. Would never have been able to guess at what it was though!

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat May 10, 2008 8:36 pm

Ooo, I'm really looking forward to the Islay one at the end of this month now...

Return to “Whisky Events”