Jolly Toper tastings program Jan. - July 2018

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.
Jolly Toper
Bronze Member

Jolly Toper tastings program Jan. - July 2018

Postby Jolly Toper » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:52 pm

Dates for 2018 are confirmed but the themes are to be finalised

Jan 18 Mystery theme 7:30pm The Kilderkin £25
- 5 drams linked but the connection is secret

Feb 8 Benriach Vertical 7:30pm The Kilderkin £25

March 1 POURS 7:30pm The Kilderkin £25
5 drams from the broad selection this Speysider has to offer.

March 22 POURS 7:30pm The Kilderkin £25

April 12 Fab 50s - 5 drams from 50cl bottles £25
Tenuous! But hosting a tasting of 50yo whiskies isn't too realistic.

May 3 POURS 7:30pm The Kilderkin £25

May 24 Mystery Vertical 7:30pm The Kilderkin £25
5 drams from the same distillery. The source will be revealed at the end of the tasting.

June 14 POURS 7:30pm The Kilderkin £25

July 5 Vertical TBC : potentially Benromach, Glen Moray Knockdhu, Glengarioch, Bunnahabhain, Glen Grant, Glenglassaugh 7:30pm The Kilderkin £25

Jolly Toper
Bronze Member

Re: Jolly Toper tastings program Jan. - July 2018

Postby Jolly Toper » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:55 am

So the big mystery : it was all blends. Perhaps wrongly I assumed poor attendnace for a tasting built around blended whisky. As it happened 26 of us took the plunge. I wasn't sure how long to keep the connection between the drams secret but we lasted until the final pour. There was some good guesses but nobody got close (although Ross said he guessed early but I never heard the comment). We started with 13 different minatures - so two people tasted the same dram : both the current version and an historic example - bottled either 20 or 30 years ago. Generally the older ones faired better but the modern incarnations often appealed more than the earlier style. We then tried Tweedale 28yo (£185)- an example of a luxury blend, fruity and generally popular. The scope of the tasting was broad but actually tracking down bottles wasn't as easy as I thought. We could have tired Canadian or Japanese blends, single-singles or single blends but in the end I went for Writer's Tears cask strength Irish - a mix of malt whisky and pot still (pot still being malted and unmalted barley) again very popular, tropical fruits being the signature, another posh one at £100. Next was Nomad, full sherry effect, used before at the tastings but worthy of a repeat due to the unique character - pretty popular and a bargain. Finally a nod to peaty blends with Islay Mist, again much cheapness. We'll do another mystery theme before too long.

lincoln imp
Silver Member

Postby lincoln imp » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:35 am

Jolly Toper wrote:So the big mystery : it was all blends. Perhaps wrongly I assumed poor attendnace for a tasting built around blended whisky. As it happened 26 of us took the plunge. I wasn't sure how long to keep the connection between the drams secret but we lasted until the final pour. There was some good guesses but nobody got close (although Ross said he guessed early but I never heard the comment). We started with 13 different minatures - so two people tasted the same dram : both the current version and an historic example - bottled either 20 or 30 years ago. Generally the older ones faired better but the modern incarnations often appealed more than the earlier style. We then tried Tweedale 28yo (£185)- an example of a luxury blend, fruity and generally popular. The scope of the tasting was broad but actually tracking down bottles wasn't as easy as I thought. We could have tired Canadian or Japanese blends, single-singles or single blends but in the end I went for Writer's Tears cask strength Irish - a mix of malt whisky and pot still (pot still being malted and unmalted barley) again very popular, tropical fruits being the signature, another posh one at £100. Next was Nomad, full sherry effect, used before at the tastings but worthy of a repeat due to the unique character - pretty popular and a bargain. Finally a nod to peaty blends with Islay Mist, again much cheapness. We'll do another mystery theme before too long.

This is great to see JT, I love blended whisky especially the older stuff and I think people wrongly overlook blends as being inferior but with the advent of younger single malts NAS they are in my view worth considering regarding the quality/price ratio.

Jolly Toper
Bronze Member

Postby Jolly Toper » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:56 pm

Aye, there used to be some great 12yo blends just recently at very affordable prices. More research required.

Return to “Whisky Events”