Jolly Toper tasting 25.5.17 Edinburgh 7:30pm

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.
Jolly Toper

Jolly Toper tasting 25.5.17 Edinburgh 7:30pm

Postby Jolly Toper » Thu May 11, 2017 8:20 pm

Well we'll be trying the 2nd oldest whisky ever poured in the 15+ years of these tastings (52yo- the oldest was a 54yo G&M 1954 Mortlach - unless I've forgotten another one), it's a pretty early vintage too - 1964, not just that but it's from a closed distillery we've only once tried before- a single cask single grain at full strength (40.8%) and one of only 50 bottles filled. If that isn't enough its the most expensive whisky I've bought for the tastings at £225:- Carsebridge (closed 1983) bottled by our pal Dramfool.

There will also be a mystery Islay single cask at full strength - my guess is Lagavulin, yup its proper secret.

Also another 'then and now' experiment: we recently tried a couple of Glencadams bottled about 10 years apart and with differing bottling principles. It was interesting to see which one appealed more so let's do it again, I'll keep the single malt unknown to prevent any pre-judging.

Finally there will be a sherry cask (or similar) dram which I've yet to decide on but maybe something like the latest Tamdhu Batch strength.

All that for just £25.

Jolly Toper

Re: Jolly Toper tasting 25.5.17 Edinburgh 7:30pm

Postby Jolly Toper » Sun May 21, 2017 2:37 pm

So Steven from http://www.themashtun.co.uk will be taking along a mystery dram. He tells me we've never tried something from this distillery in the tastings. Bearing in mind until Strathearn released 3yo this year we had tried an example from every distillery in Scotland that has bottled its make since Maltmill closed. So this is either a bottle of Maltmill or one of the new distilleries.......very exciting.

Jolly Toper

Re: Jolly Toper tasting 25.5.17 Edinburgh 7:30pm

Postby Jolly Toper » Mon May 22, 2017 11:52 am

For the cask influenced dram we'll have Arran Amarone 46%. When it first came out I wasn't too convinced but this latest expression is much more appealing.

Return to “Whisky Events”