Jolly Toper whisky tasting Edinburgh 20.4.17

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.
Jolly Toper

Jolly Toper whisky tasting Edinburgh 20.4.17

Postby Jolly Toper » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:57 pm

Next tasting Thursday 20th April 7:30pm £25 6 drams, Kilderkin, 65 Canongate, Royal Mile, Edinburgh.

Imperial 21yo 21.08.1995 – 18.01.2017 2 hogsheads 496 bottles Signatory 56.7% closed distillery

Highland Park Dark Origins 1st fill sherry casks NCF 46.8%

Dram Fool Islay single malt "Avian Gull" distilled June 2008 bottled in February 2017 8yo 59.2% 202 bottles

then two official 15yo Glencadams bottled about ten years apart - one natural colour, non-chillfiltered and 46% the other 40%, chill-filtered and colour adjusted.

I'll also pour the sister cask of the stupendous Whisky Broker 25yo Cambus bottled at full strength from a single sherry cask by Whisky Broker we tried last tasting: it's almost toxically undrinkable. Pouring them at the same time would have been an excellent way to illustrate the difference single casks can make...

Jolly Toper

Re: Jolly Toper whisky tasting Edinburgh 20.4.17

Postby Jolly Toper » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:19 am

The Dram Fool secret Islay single malt is called 'Avian Gull' - this could be an anagram of the distillery's name.....

Jolly Toper

Re: Jolly Toper whisky tasting Edinburgh 20.4.17

Postby Jolly Toper » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:31 pm

Well about 25 of us cosied into the Kilderkin for a 6 dram tasting. We started with the two Glencadam's bottled some time apart (5+ years?). One 40%, chill-filtered and caramel coloured, the other 46% natural colour and non-chillfiltered. The older one was latterly 'dumped' on the market sub-£25 to clear shelves for the new expression. I recall it being very drinkable but a touch uninspiring. My experience of the re-booted version was very positive actually removing it from the house as one glass was never enough and led to too much temptation. On the night I was a bit surprised (not really disappointed) to see the room was exactly split 50-50 to which one was the preferred. Interesting. I've a few malts bottled a number of years ago and plan to repeat the exercise in upcoming tastings.

Next we had he sister cask of Whisky Broker's stupendous Cambus sherry cask 25yo that we tried at the last tasting. I know no independent bottler hits the bull's eye every time but I thought it worth taking a punt on this bottle due to its predecessor being so good. Oops. This would have been another good side by side comparison for illustrating how different the same thing can be. Not one person in the room enjoyed the nose and most of us struggled with the palate although it must be said a few folks found some qualities in the odd notes of what I found to be whisky botrytis. I'd taste it now but really don't have the motivation I'm afraid.

Next was a proven success - the current Signatory 1995 Imperial. This batch of casks has become quite familiar to employees of RMW and attendees of Jolly Toper tastings of late. There is definitely a distillery/parcel character coming through with age being apparent and a well noted positive response to dilution.

What I believe to be a discontinued expression : Highland Park, Dark Origins may have taken advantage of good timing after the drams up to this point or perhaps is simply cracking stuff. I recall tasting it when first released and being far from impressed but on a recent re-visit the experience was very much different. On the night the wonderful balance and harmony of component flavours was inspiring. Cask, time and spirit seemed to sing in unison. All this was present in a most understand way which gave a level of sophistication not too common these days. Bravo.

Finally new independent bottler Dramfool covered themselves (well himself) in glory with a splendid 8yo single Islay with all the peaty goodness one would hope for from such a deservedly high profile distillery. The name of the source had to be hidden so this bottling went under the title of "Avain Gull'. Like some Islays and heavy sherries tasting in the afternoon is one thing but when tried after a few drams this kind of thing really seems to rise to the occasion. More please. http://www.dramfool.com

Return to “Whisky Events”