Jolly Toper whisky tasting Edinburgh 2.3.17

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.
Jolly Toper

Jolly Toper whisky tasting Edinburgh 2.3.17

Postby Jolly Toper » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:02 pm

The next tasting - Thursday 2nd March 7:30pm, Kilderkin £20-ish. Not sorted all the drams out yet but probably that Tasgali 30yo Blend 40% but more interestingly a Bunnahabhain 11yo Manzanilla cask 1200 bottles at 57.4% for Feis Ile 2015 and the pretty impressive Moine Oloroso 60.1% just released from 7 casks - so that's peaty Bunnahabhain in a sherry cask and hopefully another blend from the 26 2/3 Fl. Oz. days - Old Smuggler. Final dram yet to be decided.

Jolly Toper

Re: Jolly Toper whisky tasting Edinburgh 2.3.17

Postby Jolly Toper » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:16 pm

Oops - there's been a problem acquiring the Feis Ile Bunnahabhain so consider this dram to be substituted with another yet to be confirmed. I think there might be a mystery dram for consumer feedback......

Jolly Toper

Postby Jolly Toper » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:06 am

I know it's tomorrow and the line up isn't finalised but I was looking at the Redbreast Lustau sherry finish - anyone tried it? There's also an appealing Signatory 1995 46% sherry cask Clynelish which has proved popular with staff.

Jolly Toper

Postby Jolly Toper » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:01 am

So I recommend eating before drinking. Especially if you've been off alcohol for a couple of days. Especially if you have to sample whisky in order to pick the drams you're about to pour. Also don't drink too many weiss beers no matter how tasty they are.

20 of us settled down to a last minute shift from our regular side room to the front bar which wasn't too cool as one has to be sensitive to the other bar users, no swearing and such you see. A bunch of Royal Mile Whiskies staff, other regulars and a couple of first timers made it a good mix. The first dram was the Asda 30yo blend - Tasgall 40%, we'd already done the 25yo and were fairly happy, this was the same. Definite qualities - shame about the strength and filtering. Colleague Martin commented that having saved a drop of each dram to retry at the end he was even more impressed. So beyond the short finish rather good.

Next was a very nice Old Smuggler 26 2/3 Fl. Oz. bottling supplied by Neil via a buddy who'd had it in his wardrobe for years. The company is pretty old and was taken over by Canadian Hiram Walker when manoeuvring into the 'Scotch' industry. Glenburgie and later Pulteney were acquired. It makes you think of how many hands brands and particularly a distillery might go through over time. The classic old bottled flavours were present which most of us appreciated - but not all.

Next we tried a Springbank port wood expression distilled 1989 and bottled 2002. I'd opened it a couple of years ago but felt it lacked the qualities necessary for pouring but after breathing and a degree of desperation I went for it. One table deplored it but the others were fairly happy. No hallmarks of Springbank or Campbeltown though - something this era of production seems to posses - I wonder why. We also tried a rather delish Lidl 20yo tawny port - only £20 even if just 50cl.

Nest was Raasay batch 2. I can't remember if I wrote up the batch 1 and the fact we actually tried the very Super Tuscan wine which had been in the the very casks used. Quite a unique experience for me and most of us I'm guessing. The cask were then re-used for an extended period of finishing for the peated single malt from an anonymous Highland distillery. Feisty stuff. The sour notes work for me but I'm a bit special for sherry casks. That same table weren't impressed and generally not so popular as the Springbank but plenty people enjoyed the unique character of a younger lightly peated malt finished in wine casks. I'm not sure how important it is to keep the distiller secret so I'd better keep my trap shut which is a shame as the distillery is pretty amazing. Raasay continues to move toward production and I'm happy to bring their rather special offer to your attention:- https://goo.gl/sztYRC

Finally a sherry cask peated Bunnahabhain 'moine' - massive.

Return to “Whisky Events”