Rock music themed tasting

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.
Jolly Toper
Bronze Member

Rock music themed tasting

Postby Jolly Toper » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:02 pm

Being quite in to music - not exclusively rock, I thought however a rock music themed tasting might be an idea, But I need some help with the selection. Francis Rossi of Status Quo owns the Glen Rossie brand and The Pogues Irish whiskey recently came out- I doubt I'll get the Motorhead Mackmyra,

Any thoughts?

Jolly Toper
Bronze Member

Re: Rock music themed tasting

Postby Jolly Toper » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:30 pm

So to round up: pretty slim pickins so far -

Glen Rossie (Status Quo)

The Pogues

Jack Daniels - Frank Sinatra edition

Wille Nelson - Old Whiskey River (tricky to get maybe, anyone coming over from the States?)

Imperial - Hammerfall

Edradour Caledonian - dude from Runrig

and the Mogwai one

Any advances?

Jolly Toper
Bronze Member

Postby Jolly Toper » Mon May 07, 2018 11:09 am

Bob Dylan now has Heaven's Door spirits and a new Smokehead called High Voltage is out, this tasting is getting closer. Hammerfall's whisky isn't from The Imperisl distillery :(

Jolly Toper
Bronze Member

Postby Jolly Toper » Wed May 09, 2018 8:07 pm

The tasting is going to be on Thursday 24th May at The Kilderkin £25.

Dress code - think Alice Cooper (a whisky reference there) or Kiss.

Jolly Toper
Bronze Member

Postby Jolly Toper » Mon May 14, 2018 8:10 pm

So the line up has been finalised:- Highland Park "Full Volume" 1999-2017 ex-Bourbon barrels & hogsheads 47.2% (it comes in a carton that looks like a Marshall amp, Mackmyra Motorhead 5yo new American oak 40%, Hammerfall Imperial 18yo 43% undisclosed single Speyside malt bottled by William Lundie & Co. (a company owned by Glenfarclas) - it's not from the Imperial distillery and I've never heard of the band but I like that they bottled a malt, The Pogues 40% blend from West Cork Distillers and Smokehead High Voltage single Islay malt 58%. £25 a ticket. Rock on.

Jolly Toper
Bronze Member

Postby Jolly Toper » Mon May 28, 2018 11:23 am

Well I think the rock tasting went okay. It wasn't on Stadium scale, more a cosy affair with just a dozen of us (I blame the Campbeltown & Islay festivals). We started with a 70s/80s blend 'Crazy Horse' which despite not showing too well when opened a few days before it seemed to hit the spot for most, certainly as a support band perhaps expectations weren't to unfair. I'm afraid of all the drams we've tried this is perhaps the one I know least about. Anyone out there now anything?

Next was Hammerfall 18yo 43%, credited to a company associated with Glenfarclas. There was disbelief that the whisky was so old and indeed there was little so indicated such age, perhaps filtering had been unkind. A distiller present suggested too much feints. Well like the Hammerfall band I don't think my repertoire requires the benefits of the addition of this.

Next was great packaging from Highland Park (the carton is made to look like a Marshall amplifier with 11 being the highest setting). Perhaps the most anticipated dram. This expectation may have been a disadvantage as there was a general feeling of anti-climax. With little or no Orcadian smoke and all Bourbon cask matured we were left curious as to why a Rock associated bottling should be quite so meek. Not bad just a bit quiet.

After this came the bottle that inspired the tasting Motorhead Mackmyra. The distillery quite rightly has its own flavour profile which is quite unique and not as accessible as others. With this in mind it is again perhaps a head scratcher that such a big brand band would not have gone for something more intense. It was also done to mark 40 years of the band, I'm sure a Scottish malt at that age would have been snapped up by fans although doubtless out of the reach of the average pocket.

A guest dram in the shape of a virgin oak Strathearn was welcome to the party with bold flavours it was interesting to compare it to it's sister fresh French oak bottling from the same benefactor which we tried a good few tastings ago. All in all tasty stuff especially if you're not indisposed to oak driven character.

Finally Smokehead High Voltage, me and the Mrs had a dram last night. Pretty in your face Islay peat but a touch of water and time in the glass offers quite a few underlying aromas and flavours.

Rock on.

Next one :- Whisky tasting 14.6.18 Edinburgh 7.30pm - 10:00pm The Kilderkin, 65 Canongate, Royal Mile, £25

5 drams : Ledaig Amontillado 13yo 59.2%, a 'Then and Now' comparison of the same mystery dram bottled about 15 years apart, Benromach triple distilled 2009 50% fresh Bourbon casks ~8000 bottles and Caledonian Creative Whisky Co. 30yo 20.04.2018 49.8% 218 bottles closed Edinburgh grain distillery.

whiskgeek
Silver Member

Postby whiskgeek » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:34 am

Sounds like it didn't exactly rock.

Jolly Toper
Bronze Member

Postby Jolly Toper » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:58 am

More of an acoustic set.

Jolly Toper
Bronze Member

Postby Jolly Toper » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:00 am

Revisted the Highland Park over the weekend and standing alone it does have some subtle qualities, a touch of sweetness and an all round poise which might have been lost on the night. More Simon and Garfunkel than Slade.

Return to “Whisky Events”