Canadian whisky tasting Edinburgh 18.2.16

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Re: Canadian whisky tasting Edinburgh 18.2.16

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:49 am

I hope you have a good turnout. There's really nothing wrong with any Canadian whisky, it's just that it's so commonplace and accessible over here that we sometimes neglect it over a new shiny whisky from afar. We forget that what we have in plenty, our friends across the pond would kill for!

Musky

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:16 am

Can you acquire some Canadian Maple syrup? Seriously now.

If you can and boil it down a bit more, pour the thickened syrup over shaved ice (or clean snow if you can source some). Then hand the attendees a wooden popsicle stick and let them roll a bit of the thickened syrup on the stick and eat it. Heaven.
(They do this at Maple Sugar festivals here and it's something pretty wonderful.) Then sample the Canadian whisky. Hmmm, I may have to try this out...

You may want to practice it first. And advertise it as a side bit to compare the whisky to. Like eating chocolate with Islay malts.

As an aside, it's better to boil over low heat with a candy thermometer to the "soft ball" stage (235˚F) and not inside the house, as the syrup vapour will make the walls around the stove a bit sticky. (experienced this as a kid)

Of course it's probably too late to try it this time. Maybe I should send you some for next time?

Musky

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:02 am

Sounds like an enjoyable evening. We did a tasting one night with pretty much all 40 Creek bottlings, and found very little variance in the samples, much less other whiskies from here we subsequently have tried against the John Hall bottlings. Bottom line is most of them have the strong rye undertones you noticed.

Too bad I can't ship over there, I have acquired a couple of new ones I'd like you to sample. West jet starts flying from Glasgow in June for a good price...

Return to “Whisky Events”