Vatted Malt tasting Edinburgh 12.10.17

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.
Jolly Toper

Vatted Malt tasting Edinburgh 12.10.17

Postby Jolly Toper » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:13 pm

So we'll go for a Vatted Malt tasting. The SMWS Exotic Cargo bottling landed in my lap at the same time as another of the nicley sherried Famous Grouse spin offs we've been enjoying. Talking of which the original Naked Grouse was a blend but has recently been re-vamped as a vatted malt. Also Diageo have just released their Collectivum blended malt. So that leaves a peaty version which shouldn't pose a problem. :

The Scotch Malt Whisky Society 'Exotic Cargo' 10yo 2006 1st fill spanish oak sherry hogsheads 50%

Naked Grouse 40%

Collectivum 57.3% a vatting of Diageo's 28 operating malt distilleries.

Vega North Star 23yo 1993 51.1% Spanish and American oak 400 bottles

Something peaty

At The Kilderkin, Thursday 12th October 7:30pm £25.

Jolly Toper

Re: Vatted Malt tasting Edinburgh 12.10.17

Postby Jolly Toper » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:41 pm

"Something peaty" = Elements of Islay Peat Full Proof 59.3".

Jolly Toper

Re: Vatted Malt tasting Edinburgh 12.10.17

Postby Jolly Toper » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:28 am

So after having sold out most of the recent tasting I had to wonder if the 10 unsold spaces for last night was because of the slightly higher price point or a bit of snobbery around blended malts. Or maybe something good was on telly.

It was a bit tricky choosing the order of the initial 2 drams - I'm not sure I got it right. We kicked off with Collectivum - the first blended malt in the Diageo Special Releases. A combination of the 28 malt distilleries the company owns. No age statement and no hint of proportions. I'd tried this before and was perhaps too optimistic unlike my fellow tasters who mainly seemed to be anticipating a dissapointment. So last night unlike my first impression I was most impressed. However nearly everyone present felt the price tag (£150) was not commensurate with quality. I wonder if we can look forward to a blend one day in this series of releases. I think I'll try a blended whisky tasting next season

Next we tired the revised Naked Grouse - 'elevated' from a blend proper to a blended malt. I've always liked the expression and believe the new incarnation delivers quality, value and character. However the attendees often complained of a lack of body and finish - I still enjoyed it with a very quiet start finally almost erupting with a sherry blast.

After that we moved on to North Star's Vega (or the singular of Vegas one wag quipped). In reverse to the Collectivum my first experience with this was a love at first taste phenomena whilst last night I just couldn't seem to find that spark while prety much every one around me were nodding and smiling enthusiastically. A easy to compliment attitude to pricing too for such a well structured and poised sherry package.

More sherry next with the SMWS 'Exotic Cargo' 10yo. An absolute beauty with only one of the assembled 16 not finding it to their taste. A great accomplishment and although I haven't been in the loop with SMWS bottlings for some time I'm pretty sure this quality isn't quite normal these days.

Fianlly The Whisky Exchange 50cl Elements of Islay pure malt really sang to me with its raw peaty power alhought it was exactly this punchyness that seemed to bother others.

A pretty good tasting even if I do say so myself.

Next tasting - Glengoyne vertical - 2nd November.

Return to “Whisky Events”