Restructuring the price guidelines

This is the Whisky Magazine forum. Please post your comments or queries about our magazine.
Read online - Subscribe - Back Issues
MrIntrepid
Bronze Member

Restructuring the price guidelines

Postby MrIntrepid » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:02 pm

Hi All,

I was reading the magazine on the weekend and noticed how the majority of the whiskies tasted received the highest price tag of £71 plus. There are currently five pricing categories £11-£17, £18-£25, £26-£40, £41-70, and £71 plus. To me these categories seem slightly skewed, I am not sure how long they have been in use, which might explains things somewhat, however given todays whisky prices I think a wider range would be more appropriate. This is just my opinion, but I think the following categories or something along these lines might be more useful:

Under £25,
£26-£50,
£51-£100,
£101-£200,
£201-£500,
£501 plus.

This would allow you to better identify whiskies that are in your budget if like myself you may be willing to spend more than £71 occasionally but wouldn't spend £200+. It would also allow the reader to develop a better understanding of the prices of different whiskies, unlike the current situation which groups a £71 whisky with a £1000 whisky.

Just a thought but I would be interested to see what other people think. Great magazine :D
Last edited by MrIntrepid on Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt2

Re: Restructuring the price guidelines

Postby Matt2 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:23 pm

I agree, and one reader even phoned Macallan asking where they could get a 50 year old Mac for £71+ :shock:

I think it would be good to show the retail price at the time of tasting it.

:thumbsup:

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:35 pm

Matt Page wrote:I agree, and one reader even phoned Macallan asking where they could get a 50 year old Mac for £71+ :shock:
I think it would be good to show the retail price at the time of tasting it.
:thumbsup:
Matt: Okay and where CAN you get a 50 yo Mac for £71? Would probably be a 2 cl bottle right? :D

The updating of the price levels along with posting of price is an excellant idea . It could be added to "Notes" in the BBCode by the posting drammer.

Muskrat
(Coffee is finished, time for Hi ho hi ho)
Bye

Aeolus

Postby Aeolus » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:34 am

Where is the RRP guide available?

lawschooldrunk wrote:can't see myself going beyond the 50+ range :oops:

You sure drink some incredible SMS for staying below 50+ range. I am impressed! :o :thumbsup:

Envious, too. :oops:

Rob Allanson
Editor

Postby Rob Allanson » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:01 pm

It is under review. Thanks.

Return to “Whisky Magazine”